• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Headcanons

Jersey Jimmy

sell ecstacy at dragoncon!
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
This thread is for any Pokémon headcanons you may have outside the anime, considering we already have a thread for that. So here are a few of mine:

-Winona is a traceus - as in, she does parkour.

-Red is very shy and doesn't like talking to people he doesn't know.

-Roxie's band is the equivalent of the Distillers.

-Blaine is Flannery's grandfather and was once a member of the Hoenn Elite Four.

-Mr. Fuji has died of old age by this point.

-Giovanni did attempt suicide in HG/SS. Key word being "attempt".

-The difference between Legendary Pokemon and Mythical Pokemon is that Mythicals generally have only one of their species. Darkrai is the exception to this rule.

-The Desert Resort is Unova's equivalent of Ground Zero. The area has been redeveloped after B2W2.

-The admins of Team Magma and Team Aqua attended rival high schools.

-Gym Leaders use teams based on the challenger's skill. In reality, most if not all of them have a selection of elite mons to choose from.

-Winona and Wallace resumed their relationship after Winona defeated Wallace in a battle, proving she wasn't inferior.

-Elesa is an art-pop superstar, the Pokeverse's equivalent of Lady Gaga.

-Volkner is suicidal when the player meets him in DPPt, but he gets better with the player's help.

- ORAS Mega Stones were brand new discoveries found sometime after the storyline of XY.

- Mega Rayquaza was an early instance of Mega Evolution, but not the first. Additionally, its rare appearances left it generally forgotten by people of modern times. Hence why Sycamore wouldn't know about its Mega Evolution taking place beyond Kalos.

(I really dislike how ORAS retconned XY lore btw...)

Last edited:
The entire Pokemon world is lot more dangerous than any of the anime/game/manga/whatever media portrayed. Wild pokemons avoid human contact, so they won't appear in front of you unless they are hungry in need of food. Note: You are their food, so prepare to flee.
But regardless of the law of jungle, many of the intelligent pokemons and domesticated pokemons are outgrown from this natural law, so there does exist wild pokemons hoping for human contact. But, such pokemons are mostly living near the human cities/town, generally you won't find docile pokemons in mountains and jungle faraways from human civilizations.

And personally I don't compare pokemon battles being a sport in nowadays real-world, rather I compare it to sword fight in medieval-themed fantasy world, or during early Meiji era in Japan history. It is an important fighting skill for self-protection, but not compulsory to learn because the world is peaceful. Of course there exists many tournaments and such competitions for the trainers, but still pokemon battles is not everything of ones' life, and will never be. There exist thousands and even millions of different occupations with/without the involvement of pokemon, where pokemon trainer is just one of it.

-Legendary (including Mythical) Pokemon genders/sexes are genderless (even in cases where the gender should be at least a little obvious) because the professors find it irrelevant since most of them cannot breed. There are some exceptions

-Manaphy is included in the above because the method of breeding is so esoteric as to requite a different Pokemon that has yet to be discovered (and while Ditto can replicate the process to an extent, it is far from perfect resulting in the hybrid Pokemon Phione)

-The Tomestones near Geosenge are actually Pokemon petrified by Yveltal and the Ultimate Weapon, whith either eroded away or became merged with other rocks by some unknown process

-Pokemon in the game had replaced the animals of the real world and the Pokeball technology is capable of capturing all forms of sentient life except Humans (and the beasts they capture are dubbed Pokemon or Pocket Monsters as a result)

-The Draconnids have a longer then usual life span as a result of seeing Mega Raquayza, as well as a decreased age rate.

-Going off that, Aster was actually Zinnia's little sister or daughter, as old as the protagonist but more naive and innocent in comparison. And she suffered a rather tragic death as a result of the first Primal Clash

-The Ultimate Weapon rendered Calem, Serena, Shauna, Trevor, Tierno and the Team Flare members in their lair immortal, along with the population of Geosenge.

-Espurr's power was also a result of the Ultimate weapon affecting its biological ansestors. And unsealing it would have similar effects (petrification of pokemon, immortality and general destruction).

-The Jirachi Team Aqua met was a relatively newborn and in fact, their meeting was before its first hibernation period. Archie now that it would outlive him and his friends and formed Team Aqua in a bid to leave a legacy behind for him

-Teams Aqua and Magma initially started out as benign groups and in fact worked together and believed in harmony with Pokemon and humans, but frustrations, conflicts, enviromental concerns (Archie's was sea pollution. Maxie's was overpopulation) and several bad days caused them to become the extremists they are (Archie heard of the events in Orre while Maxie heard of Team Plasma)

-The Chatelaines were the original Frontier Brains having used Hoenn as a home away from home after they made their home in Kalos look like their residence here. While simultaneously turning the island into the Battle Frontier for their successors because they had to go back to Kalos sometime). Their genealogy has traces to both Hoenn residents and AZ (albeit distantly). They also inspired the Sinjoh Frontier

-Eventually Fennel's dream world suffered some unexpected problems s she had to get help form Sylph Co (and specifically, her Rival) to help (since he issues were out of Juniper's league) they all think that Darkrai was involved in the malfunctions

Steven Stone was originally a Rich Boy. Yes, the trainer class Rich Boy. Come on, it's glaringly obvious!

Last edited:
- Giovanni has attempted suicide on multiple occasions, none of them have succeeded; he is also very insecure individual.
- Lysandre turned up late to receive his starter which is why he got Litleo.
- Maxie can stand very hot temperatures compared to normal people, but he can't stand the cold and would drown in 3ft of water.
- Both Archie and Maxie have a fear of heights.

...and that's it for now.

- Both Archie and Maxie have a fear of heights.

Wondering how you came up with that.

Rayquaza.
The mediator between Kyogre and Groundon.
Similar to their battles being put to end by Rayquaza, the guardian of the sky, perhaps it is something they could have in common.

-Elite's four and the champion are a form of government in the pokemon world, not just famous people.

-Red and Leaf are sibilings

-Red and Leaf both fought against the rockets, but Red became the champion, and Leaf decided to take another direction in life, living as a common and anonymous woman.

-Red started training Pokémon with 10 years but was not exactly that age when he faced team rocket. but he would be at least 16. The same goes for most of the protagonists.

-Cynthia and Alder has around 40 years. Diantha and Lance are in their middle 30s. Steven is in the middle of his twenties. Wallaces slighly older than Steven. Iris and Blue are in their early 20, maybe 18.

-Ariana is Silver mother

-Steven and his father dont get along very well. They dont hate each other, but have very different views of life. Steven is more intuitive and free spirit, while Mr Stone is a more practical, materialistic and extravagant man.

-Mr Stone is an extravagant and eccentric rich. He is those old men with a thousand lovers, organizes every week glamorous parties, appears frequently in magazines covers and donate huge amounts of money. Steven doesnt like this behavior and so decided to have a completely different lifestyle, low profile living in a beachfront cabin.

-Steven doesnt want to inherit his father's business, that's why in the end he travels. In fact, he is out there backpacking to escape the unwanted responsibilities that his father imposed.

-Something similar happens with the Normans son/daughter. He or she doesnt get along well with their parents, especially the father, and will rarely visit or call the mother on the journey.

-May or Brendam has a heavy accent and that is funny to those living in Hoenn.

-The son/daughter of Grace dont want to live her mother's shadow, so he/she has that habit of being competitive and wanting to stand out.

-Serena and Shauna has a crush on Calem. He knows it, but will never choose one of the two. Maybe because he dont want they fighting, or perhaps because hes an undecided jerk.

-Serena and Calem keep the legendary Pokemon in theur team.

-Aster is Zinnia sister or daughter.

The entire Pokemon world is lot more dangerous than any of the anime/game/manga/whatever media portrayed. Wild pokemons avoid human contact, so they won't appear in front of you unless they are hungry in need of food. Note: You are their food, so prepare to flee.
But regardless of the law of jungle, many of the intelligent pokemons and domesticated pokemons are outgrown from this natural law, so there does exist wild pokemons hoping for human contact. But, such pokemons are mostly living near the human cities/town, generally you won't find docile pokemons in mountains and jungle faraways from human civilizations.
I agree somewhat; I dont think its a so dark and apocalytic world, but I think being a trainer isnt for everyone, cause it needs free time, courage, money and patience. But having powerful Pokemon generates respect, something like being the police today. Anyway most population have tamed pokemons as a pet .
Only those who have a lot of money can go around traveling and collecting Pokemon, and I believe that most of the protagonists or have money, or are funded by the professor's research lab.

-Giovanni did attempt suicide in HG/SS. Key word being "attempt".

I have a similar thought but more dark. I though Ethan/Lyra tried to throw him out the window. Or that Giovanni had no choice but to do it in a last desperate attempt to escape , since he was being threatened.

Well, theres much more headcanons, maybe another day i post the rest.

Last edited:
Games: Sana has known Citron and Eureka for some time: maybe she's in love with Citron. I'm running with it in XCD.

-Pokemon are not necessarily native to the regions they first appear in. For example Eevee is native to Kalos where it is actually found in the wild, and those found in other parts of the world were introduced or bred there.
- The Pokemon World has a whole bunch of customs and old wive's tales based around misfortunes caused by Pokemon. It's considered very bad luck to throw a doll from your childhood away, staying under the streetlamps at night will stop a Gengar from stealing your shadow, and so on.
-Pokemon rangers also double as the Pokemon World's version of animal control. Due to the huge population of Magikarp, a significant number of their call-outs are dealing with Gyarados who have evolved in public places.
-Professor Sycamore got his degree from mail-order college.
-Elesa is a lesbian and a prominent LGBT icon in the Pokemon world.

Last edited:
I agree somewhat; I dont think its a so dark and apocalytic world, but I think being a trainer isnt for everyone, cause it needs free time, courage, money and patience. But having powerful Pokemon generates respect, something like being the police today. Anyway most population have tamed pokemons as a pet .
Only those who have a lot of money can go around traveling and collecting Pokemon, and I believe that most of the protagonists or have money, or are funded by the professor's research lab.

Not necessarily meaning dark and apocalytic, I'm just trying to imagine the Pokemon World in the wild faraway from civilizations more like the real-world game reserves and natural or provincial parks, say for example the Kruger National Park of South Africa. Or maybe imagine tossing yourself in the wild Amazon Rainforest of Brazil, or Republic of Congo far from cities and towns, etc. Well may be a bit too harsh for the latter two as that is also rather difficult for veteran trainer to survive, but still natural park level is fine, as the wild animals living in there are truly avoiding human contact, unless they somehow interested in some specific individuals, or the circumstances disallow them to flee. And in the game reserves, as long as your self-protection equipments are fine, actually it is safe. But I can't guarantee something might happen in just one careless mistake, because one should know, that is an uncivilized place where Law of Jungle is the only juridical truth.

And I agreed that pokemon trainer is not for everyone, in the same manner as not everyone in the real-world aiming to be athletes. Only the ones who had time and passions, and to a certain extent intrinsic talent, will manage to become a true pokemon trainer. Well I would not much agreed money is a factor, because amateurs and hobbyists may also become professionals as long as there exist any form of platform to show off their skills.

-Pokemon are not necessarily native to the regions they first appear in. For example Eevee is native to Kalos where it is actually found in the wild, and those found in other parts of the world were introduced or bred there.

Always agree to this one. Why can't people understand this simple fact, because pokemons have the abilities to migrate to anywhere when they need/want to. Moreover it is because many rant about cross-gen evo not making sense due to this stupid native theory. I don't buy this "first introduced in this gen = native to this region" rationale, therefore I don't mind about new evolutions (not Mega Evolution) introduced in later gen for one evolution family. Rather I want more to retcon the previously unevolvable pokemons. I'm still waiting for the baby Kangaskhan to become an individual on its own......

Last edited:
Protagonists headcanons:
I believe the "rivals" or their counterparts made more things than shown in game. They are like co-protagonists, similar in importance to their manga representations.

Red: A melancholic guy, stoic, impassive and quite lonely. Probably he is shy and somewhat antisocial. He ignores Blue jokes.

Leaf: There is nothing about her personality, but through her magazine and in games design, I imagine her being a polite girl, humble, quiet, reserved, shy, loving but determined. She isnt a person who loses her mind easily, and is more friendly than Red. To be true, I imagine her with a similar personality to Tifa Lockheart

Ethan: Daring, dreamy, fearless, insolent, audacious, expansive, hot-headed, snippy, impulsive, a bit selfish and really crazy.

Lyra: Elm's assistant. Typical country girl. Also, a bit naive, talkative, exaggerated, clumsy, fluffy, bubbly, optimistic, excitable, good adviser.

May: Norman daughter. Shes adventurous, curious, free spirited, with no roots, detached, mischevous, smart, hyperactive, quirk, snarky and quite eccentric. She really loves beach, nature, herbs, natural things, camping and things like this.

Brendam: Professor Birch son. Has the personality shown in the game. Also, hes a little nerd who prefer the vídeo game than socialize, so he has few friends, this worries his parents. He developed a one sided crush on May.

Dawn: Lady-like. Composed, gentle, worried, insecure, caring, good listener, ready to help, patient, she doubts herself but rises at the last moment, and has a really phlegmatic temperament. Probably Barry personality “dominates” her. But she doesnt care and isnt competitive by nature.

Lucas: Rowan's assistant. The hints given in game, hes a serious guy, centered, philosophical, suportive and responsible. Also i think hes level headed, studious, observer and a bit haughty.

Hilbert: The typical American boy. If he studied in high school, he would be that cool and popular guy, would be member of the soccer team, attended the yacht club and lives in California or NY. Als he has a tendency to wanting everyone to like him, have difficulty saying no, and has the inclination to trying to convince or being diplomatic to N. I always thought of him as being Hilda brother.

Hilda: Tomboy, urban, impulsive, brave, sincere, sharp tongued, rebellious, explosive and with a tendency to get into trouble. She defends her point of view openly. If she studied in high school, she would be the skater or rocker sister of the popular guy. And she has a tendency to clash and disagree with N.

Nate: laid down, go-luck, extremely friendly, carefree and little boastful. Maybe someone hot-headed. I think the manga Gold is the closest to the personality I imagined him, but without the trickster side.

Rosa: A soft speaker, flirtatious, girly and pamperd. One of the bw2 protagonists is a famous actor, as they act togheter in studio. Since I have Nate by the protagonist, I believe that Rosa is a superstar that eventually is affected by team plasma.

Serena: Competitive, ambitious, stubborn, perfectionist and rigid. Also, I always imagined a typical French girl: who loves libraries, love history and coffee, highly cult and somewhat blasé. But very ethical and independent as well.

Calem: Graces son. He has a personality similar to Serena, thats why they compete so much. Also, her mother want him to follow her steps, but he doesnt. And he hates being compared to her mother.

Not necessarily meaning dark and apocalytic, I'm just trying to imagine the Pokemon World in the wild faraway from civilizations more like the real-world game reserves and natural or provincial parks, say for example the Kruger National Park of South Africa. Or maybe imagine tossing yourself in the wild Amazon Rainforest of Brazil, or Republic of Congo far from cities and towns, etc. Well may be a bit too harsh for the latter two as that is also rather difficult for veteran trainer to survive, but still natural park level is fine, as the wild animals living in there are truly avoiding human contact, unless they somehow interested in some specific individuals, or the circumstances disallow them to flee. And in the game reserves, as long as your self-protection equipments are fine, actually it is safe. But I can't guarantee something might happen in just one careless mistake, because one should know, that is an uncivilized place where Law of Jungle is the only juridical truth.

And I agreed that pokemon trainer is not for everyone, in the same manner as not everyone in the real-world aiming to be athletes. Only the ones who had time and passions, and to a certain extent intrinsic talent, will manage to become a true pokemon trainer. Well I would not much agreed money is a factor, because amateurs and hobbyists may also become professionals as long as there exist any form of platform to show off their skills.
Yeah, I now I got it. I agree with everything. Also, I said that money is needed, cause I imagine, for example, creating a Rayquiazza. It doesnt fit in a "normal" house, unless that the trainer lives in a farm or have good financial resources to feed it. Maybe the professor takes care of the pokemon, but i dont believe things happens like in the anime, and i think trainer get attached to pokemons. Or at last, most of them dont train it to abadon in a "box" before.
I know its unnecessary things, but I have fun thinking where someone would take enough food to feed of a snorlax a charizard and leopard on the same team, for example. lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I now I got it. I agree with everything. Also, I said that money is needed, cause I imagine, for example, creating a Rayquiazza. It doesnt fit in a "normal" house, unless that the trainer lives in a farm or have good financial resources to feed it. Maybe the professor takes care of the pokemon, but i dont believe things happens like in the anime, and i think trainer get attached to pokemons. Or at last, most of them dont train it to abadon in a "box" before.
I know its unnecessary things, but I have fun thinking where someone would take enough food to feed of a snorlax a charizard and leopard on the same team, for example. lol

Well of course one need at least some basic funds in order to start as a Pokemon Trainer. If you can't even manage to feed the pokemons, you'll then just need to give up. I personally imagined that trainers receive money and prizes from winning competitions, so trainers sustain themselves by entering and winning many different kinds of tournament. Therefore, the truly strong trainers are rather rich as they always win something, but the losers that didn't win anything will eventually and naturally fade out as their funds are getting low. Sorry, but the world of competition is just a cruel place, not everyone can find themselves a foothold within the world of pokemon trainers, only the ones with true talent and passion will manage to survive and stand out from every other.

And in case of feeding of pokemons, I don't find it difficult to imagine. Just ask yourself how the real-world animal circus manage themselves to sustain all the animals they used for their performance. Well may be a bit irrelevant because that is a whole team of people in stead of just one, but still it is a good reference.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom