• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Height?

BlueNostalgia

Impossible is only a word
Reaction score
I know there have been discussions about the validity of the Pokedex before, but upon stumbling across the fact that Furret is supposely bigger than Charizard, I feel this needs stressed more dramatically. Can the heights of Pokemon given in the Pokedex be believed? According to the Pokedex, Nidoking is about the size of a ten year old child, and Torkoal is rivaled in height by Seedot. However, in the Manga, for example, Nidoking is depicted as being at least 8 feet tall. What are you supposed to believe?

Some heights go from head to toe, in the case of Furret, height would likely go from nose to tail hence why its "taller". That's where the "inconsistencies" come from, and it doesn't help that the height comparison on the Pokédex seems to go with height based from the bottom of the sprite to the top leading to Pokémon like Abra, who are sitting down, being depicted as something like 2 feet sitting.

I don't see how Nidoking being 4'8" or Torkoal being so small is out of the question The anime's been more inconsistent with height than the games have.

I think the Size Comparision feature should be considered accurate, as there's no ambiguity if the entry refers to the pokémon's height or length because it compares them in that pose.

Though some of them do contradict official artwork. For instance, the pokédex says Noctowl to be even taller than the player, while in other sugimori artwork it's clearly much smaller.

Really, I think the anime does the heights better. They're more believable.

Honestly, I've always found the heights given by the Pokédex somewhat inaccurate, or even impossible in some cases. As Ryuu said, I also think that they're better in the anime; it usually makes them more realistic. The heights are at least more believable there.

I tend to go by the game versions of the heights, personally, though I may sometimes exaggerate toward what the height of the real-world equivalent might be. Some of them are a bit skewed, perhaps, but real-world animals don't really come in standardized sizes, either.

I know there have been discussions about the validity of the Pokedex before, but upon stumbling across the fact that Furret is supposely bigger than Charizard, I feel this needs stressed more dramatically. Can the heights of Pokemon given in the Pokedex be believed? According to the Pokedex, Nidoking is about the size of a ten year old child, and Torkoal is rivaled in height by Seedot. However, in the Manga, for example, Nidoking is depicted as being at least 8 feet tall. What are you supposed to believe?

Now that is laughable!
So your telling me that according to the Pokedex entry height, Nidoking would be shorter than me? (I don't remember, but I think i'm definitely just over six feet all.)

I guess that's just one of those height inconsistencies that I just can't picture.

I always pictured Pokemon like Nidoking/queen to be as tall as me, maybe taller.

I'd never realized that Slowking is 6'7" until I noticed it. I said something along the lines of, "Dude, really?" because I say dude a lot and I was mildly surprised.

I honestly can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, though.

While these inconsistencies with height exist, the REAL height can easily be checked as long as the game you're playing supports comparisons between the Pokemon in question and the player character, such as all the 4th Gen games. As mentioned in the first post, Furret is "taller" than Charizard, but when you look at that screen for both, Charizard is slightly taller than the player, while Furret only comes up to the player's arms (This is as seen on HG/SS's screens).

Simply another problem is, the Wiki is taking the height thing FAR too seriously. Whenever Groudon is mentioned they say it's height is exaggerated in the anime because it's the same "height" as Arbok. LOOK AT THE DANG SIZE COMPARISON SCREEN, and you'll see Groudon is HUGE compared to the player character, almost 3 times taller as well as seen from that screen. I don't have Arbok yet, but I can asure you it's nowhere near that size.

I think the Size Comparision feature should be considered accurate, as there's no ambiguity if the entry refers to the pokémon's height or length because it compares them in that pose.

Though some of them do contradict official artwork. For instance, the pokédex says Noctowl to be even taller than the player, while in other sugimori artwork it's clearly much smaller.
Those are average heights though, probably averaged for the adults of that species.
Really, I think the anime does the heights better. They're more believable.
Except when they don't, like when size in-canon varies to great extents. Ash's Gliscor is the most recent example, but Staraptor is shown to be large enough to ride on while at the same time being smaller than Ash. I recall an episode that showed a lot of bird Pokémon and the average Pidgeot was no where near the size of Ash's.
I'd never realized that Slowking is 6'7" until I noticed it. I said something along the lines of, "Dude, really?" because I say dude a lot and I was mildly surprised.

I honestly can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, though.

6'7" with that massive crown.

What I don't understand is how small some of the Dragon Pokemon are. Salamence is only about 5 feet (1.5m). I mean, Flygon is taller than that. And apparently I am taller than a Garchomp.

I put my favorites in a limit of 2'11 "up to 5'11", so I do not like the exaggerations of the anime, but I am happy with the fact above.

What I don't understand is how small some of the Dragon Pokemon are. Salamence is only about 5 feet (1.5m). I mean, Flygon is taller than that. And apparently I am taller than a Garchomp.

I am as tall as a Salamence? Really? Duuuude. I never knew.

I have always believed the heights given in the pokedex, at least much more than the weight. You have to remember that the "height" given may actually be the length of some pokemon.

No, I don't agree with the weight either. There's the whole 'Wailord being less dense than air' debate that put me right off.

No, I don't agree with the weight either. There's the whole 'Wailord being less dense than air' debate that put me right off.

Doesn't Groudon suffer from a similar problem? I'm not sure how to calculate this given height and weight, but I vaguely remember someone talking about Groudon's density/bouyancy

This could be because Wailord resembles a whale, but it also resembles a blimp, which has gases less dense than air in it.

I have noticed that the pokedex pictures do contradict with the description of their height in a fair few instances.
But being realistic, do you really think that all these pokemon are unrealistically massive behemoths just roaming the poke-earth?
If you're in doubt just look at the comparison to the trainer and remember that they're only 10 years old.
ALSO:Never, ever base the size of pokemon on what you saw on the TV, it's made for kids and they often change the size/perspective of them for effect.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom