• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Height?

2'11" long fish is not tiny. And what about it makes you think "giant catfish"?
>_>

If you looked at it that way then you must think that Raichu is GIGANTIC because it's a rat that's almost a whole meter high!

You know some catfish can get over 5 feet long. Wiscash is pretty sorry compared to them. A lot of times Pokemon are exxagerated and a lot bigger than the creature they are based on, so that's what I expected from Wiscash.

Orion Hasta said:
I think the heights are pretty fine as they are. That's an interesting charm of Pokémon. Unlike every other Mons series, where the stronger creatures are humongous, most Pokémon are barely human sized even at their final forms. Few exceptions include the Legendaries and some other giants, but for the most part, it's interesting most of them are smaller than you would expect. I always liked that, myself.

Ooh, this, man! D8 Plus, when did a pint-sized powerhouse become bad?

Frugrow said:
I don't understand..Aren't Palkia and Dialga supposed to be bigger than Arceus?

I know Arceus is big..but I can't see it being bigger than the Dragons.

Well, Arceus is GOD. You'd think he'd be the biggest Pokemon there, but no, not so. D:

Last edited:
If you looked at it that way then you must think that Raichu is GIGANTIC because it's a rat that's almost a whole meter high!

You know some catfish can get over 5 feet long. Wiscash is pretty sorry compared to them. A lot of times Pokemon are exxagerated and a lot bigger than the creature they are based on, so that's what I expected from Wiscash.
Yeah, actually, that's a pretty big rat,

And yes, some catfish can get over five feet long, is that the average size for the species? It isn't, and the range of sizes between different cat fish species are apparently the larges. What makes you so sure Whiscash is supposed to be one of the bigger ones.

Like I said, I captured a Magikarp in Crystal that was 5'11" when the average size of the species was 2'11".

So I don't really see your point since my point that those are average sizes still stand.

As for exaggerated sizes, they have some fairly small dinosaurs in the game. I don't think they are upsizing Pokémon so much as they are trying to restrict the range of the majority of the species to a certain range.

Well, Arceus is GOD. You'd think he'd be the biggest Pokemon there, but no, not so. D:

My response to this notion of size = power

Last edited:
I take the height/weight in the Pokedex as a REFERENCE AVERAGE height/weight, where the distribution deviation can be as large as +/- 0.5x(reference average), excluding outliers.

For example, in the Pokedex, a Pikachu has height = 0.4m and weight = 6.0kg. I take this as an average of all the possible Pikachus which were measured in order to make this average.
By taking this as an average, you obviously may have some statistical deviation. As I said previously, I take the deviation (excluding outliers) as +/- 0.5x, this means the height of Pikachu can be ranging from 0.2m~0.6m, and its weight may range from 3.0kg~9.0kg.

As I also mentioned previously, I exclude outlier values in this calculation, but that doesn't mean outlier do not exist. I also accept the fact that there can be Magikarp as large as 3m long.

But other than these calculations, I also do observed that there are many Pokemon has its height/weight ratio (== mass density) very weird and obscure.
Example, a real whale has its weight measured in tonnes range, some can even go up to 150 tonnes (Quote from Wikipedia). Whereas a Wailord only has 0.4 tonnes (398kg). This is really obscure no matter how you think it.
Another example that is easy for calculation will be Golem. Suppose Golem is a sphere with radius of 1/2 of its height(1.4m), then it turns out that its body has mass density of 208kg/m3, which is even less dense then water (=1000kg/m3, =1g/ml). Where on earth can you find a mineral that is less dense than water?

The only possible answer for this oddness is that the one design that certain Pokemon (some stupid designer in the Pokemon Character Designer Team led by Ken Sugimori) did not study AT ALL the real animal/item which they based son.

In my Travelsverse opinion, the Pokédex heights aren't actually the height of the Pokémon, rather an average of several subjects. Thus why you see Pokémon of varying sizes rather then all being yey tall.

I take the height/weight in the Pokedex as a REFERENCE AVERAGE height/weight, where the distribution deviation can be as large as +/- 0.5x(reference average), excluding outliers.

For example, in the Pokedex, a Pikachu has height = 0.4m and weight = 6.0kg. I take this as an average of all the possible Pikachus which were measured in order to make this average.
By taking this as an average, you obviously may have some statistical deviation. As I said previously, I take the deviation (excluding outliers) as +/- 0.5x, this means the height of Pikachu can be ranging from 0.2m~0.6m, and its weight may range from 3.0kg~9.0kg.

As I also mentioned previously, I exclude outlier values in this calculation, but that doesn't mean outlier do not exist. I also accept the fact that there can be Magikarp as large as 3m long.

But other than these calculations, I also do observed that there are many Pokemon has its height/weight ratio (== mass density) very weird and obscure.
Example, a real whale has its weight measured in tonnes range, some can even go up to 150 tonnes (Quote from Wikipedia). Whereas a Wailord only has 0.4 tonnes (398kg). This is really obscure no matter how you think it.
Another example that is easy for calculation will be Golem. Suppose Golem is a sphere with radius of 1/2 of its height(1.4m), then it turns out that its body has mass density of 208kg/m3, which is even less dense then water (=1000kg/m3, =1g/ml). Where on earth can you find a mineral that is less dense than water?

The only possible answer for this oddness is that the one design that certain Pokemon (some stupid designer in the Pokemon Character Designer Team led by Ken Sugimori) did not study AT ALL the real animal/item which they based son.
50% deviation?
What you're saying is all right, however, 20% is much more suitable in my opinion (+/- 0.2 x average measurement)

50% deviation?
What you're saying is all right, however, 20% is much more suitable in my opinion (+/- 0.2 x average measurement)

The reason I take 50% deviation is because I take into account of childhood and fully grown height.

Think of human height as an example (if you don't like human, you can also use cat, dog, bird, whatever animal that is comfortable to you). A normal full-grown male ranges 1.6m~2.0m (also depending on which human race). A children of 4~7 years old is approximately 0.5x~0.7x the height of a fully-grown man.

Therefore, that is the reason of 50% deviation in my calculation. The shortest (0.5x average height) can be observed mostly for the young Pokemons, and the highest (1.5x average height) can be observed mostly for the well-exercised and intensely trained Pokemons (The people that always do physical training has height higher than normal human average height).

I remember seeing some 1.5-foot tall Wobbufett in the anime before.
Some of the same species Pokemon are different sizes, like Magikarp and Remoraid.

In my Travelsverse opinion, the Pokédex heights aren't actually the height of the Pokémon, rather an average of several subjects. Thus why you see Pokémon of varying sizes rather then all being yey tall.
It's not your opinion so much as outright stated facts, which I have already mentioned in previous posts.

Well the size screen (in my Pearl) is also misleading. It really doesn't have an accurate scale ratio, as seen by the size comparison of the player's size to a Snorlax.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom