• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pokemon Home

When a Pokémon gets transferred to a later generation, do the original location data get preserved in a byte in hidden data or are they permanantly replaced with the region of the original games?

When a Pokémon gets transferred to a later generation, do the original location data get preserved in a byte in hidden data or are they permanantly replaced with the region of the original games?
In the case of ORAS, the RSE mons have their locations as Hoenn, but they have an added description that they traveled a long way through time and space. The specific route or dungeon doesn't show up.

As for other transfers, they seem to keep their first-caught locations. I don't know how it will be for Pokemon GO/Let's GO series when they are transferred to Gen 8.

Last edited:
I've heard from the new announcement at the Nintendo Treehouse that Pokémon will not be able to be transferred to Pokémon Sword and Shield from Pokémon Home if they're not in the Galar Pokédex. This may mean that Pokémon such as Skuntank may not be playable in the game. This thought is annoying and I would be disappointed if it is not playable in the game. What do you think of this?

My thoughts are: fuck Masuda fuck gamefreak fuck masuda gamefreak

If they are going to limit what pokemon we can transfer they may as well have cut transferring altogether and give us the catharsis of a completely clean slate. This decision is the worst case possible FUCK MASUDA!

Last edited:
Reaction to the limited transferring has been very negative on Facebook, where practically 90% of replies are bashing Game Freak, forcing the official page to delete posts over and over again. It's reached about five reposts as of this comment. On the other hand, some people have considered this as a possibility that this is a test run, and full transferring could occur after SwSh has been out for a few months. After all, it did take awhile for Bank to become available for X&Y and S&M.

That, or SwSh would be the first ever game to be a failure for this reason, even though there's other things in it that we all look foreword to.

Given the mass backlash, we should tread carefully. Flame wars and spite vandalism are a possibility.

I wanted to buy SwSh just because I wanted to show Gamefreak that I want non Let's Go Pokemon titles no matter how barren the postgame was. It looked good so far but, I may buy the $55 dollar used Gamestop copy.

While I am of course disappointed I won't be able to transfer in all of the 806 Pokémon I have collected over the past 15 years, at the same time I'm confident that this is just a temporary restriction. Even if it would be technically impossible to transfer Pokémon outside of the Galar Dex to Sword and Shield, the main series games should be programmed properly to allow for the remaining Pokémon to appear. After all, TPC wouldn't release a new and future-proof app like Home for nothing, right?

Masuda did mention they wanted the models of the Pokémon to look as good as possible. It could be that they weren't able to upgrade every single of the 800+ existing 3D models to be playbable in time. These models would have to not only be visually improved and integrated into the new game engine of the different console, but they'd also have to work with all new battle animations, Dynamaxing animations, overworld (walking) animations, grooming animations and maybe more. This would obviously take a lot time without contributing significantly to the experience of the main game, so I can understand it if they had to cut corners like this to make the game the best they could.

However, there is no excuse if the remaining Pokémon are still locked out of Gen 8 in the following games. I will expect them all.

I'm seeing people lose their damn minds over this statement but since when have all of the Pokemon been transferable at launch? It always takes a few months before they can get everyone in there. But if this is the case, and I don't see why it wouldn't be, they definitely need to clarify.

I'm seeing people lose their damn minds over this statement but since when have all of the Pokemon been transferable at launch? It always takes a few months before they can get everyone in there. But if this is the case, and I don't see why it wouldn't be, they definitely need to clarify.

If they haven't done the models or animations for hundreds of Pokemon, will it be finished in a few months? Plus they have to rebalance the Pokemon, changing their movepools and such.

Last edited:
@Gligarman "when have all of the Pokemon been transferable at launch" Gold and Silver through Black 2 and White 2. The new system is really anti consumer not going to lie. "What about Ruby and Sapphire?" I would have preferred that honestly.

Last edited:
I'm seeing people lose their damn minds over this statement but since when have all of the Pokemon been transferable at launch? It always takes a few months before they can get everyone in there.

Well, it seemed like when the ability to transfer Pokémon is introduced, some Pokémon species from previous games can be transferred, and some species cannot be transferred, causing the complaints that people have.

Welp, I ain't afraid to admit I was wrong. I just watched the video instead of reading new articles. Yeah, this sounds permanent and that's extremely unfortunate because it means we'll likely have to buy another set of games like we did in Gen 3 to get all of them. It's not like the game's not gonna sell and it's not like we're all not going to play it, and it's not like I'm not going to get both games on day 1 because this is still my favorite game franchise. But I really hope they come up with a solution down the road.

Last edited:
I get why people don't care but, this another ton on top a heap. We already know that they are going to sever gen VIII's connection to the 3ds eventually. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if we lose the ability to deposit pokemon to Bank in two years. Remember how fast they ditched Dream World? The bottom line is while we will get the ability to transfer use the "cut Pokemon" eventually not informing us when, is scummy as hell. Especially if we're expected to pay for bank and home.

Pokemon has had anti consumer practices from the start. Using older ones to excuse later ones isn't right. They are all terrible.

Gamefreak should have let you obtain Mew legitimately in Red and Green without a timed event before the release of gen 2. Stadium would have been a perfectly fine way to do it.

Pokemon Ranger doesn't excuse the Pokeball plus. But to be fair I would a lot more okay with either if they gave you one Manaphy per save and one mew per save but, no it's one mythical per purchase.

XY requiring you pay 5 bucks a year for transfer and locking exclusive (LIMITED TIME) shit behind that service isn't okay.

The Pokemon fanbase needs to go batshit insane everytime something like this happens because we let them get away way too fucking much already.

Last edited:
On one hand, I can understand the initial backlash towards this decision. Aside from R/S, fans have been able to transfer Pokemon from previous games into the most recent ones for years without much of any limitation. People put a lot of time with making living Pokedexs and I'm sure that there are a lot of fan favorite Pokemon that wouldn't make it into the games. I'm sure that this will cut out a lot of the other starters unless they're given out in the games. We have seen a lot of Pokemon featured in the games thus far, but a lot of Pokemon aren't going to be included, especially when they don't seem interested in having a National Dex in the games anymore unfortunately.

But on the other hand, I didn't really get the impression that this was going to be permanent. I could see them having an update to Pokemon Home down the road to eventually include more Pokemon or at the very least make the next game after Sword/Shield allow for any Pokemon to be transferable. Since they put a lot of effort in making the different sprites and animation for the Pokemon models, I'm not sure if it's more likely for them to update Sword/Shield with that data or just include it for the next game. The latter still might not be the best option, but it would allow for Pokemon from previous generations being in a eighth generation game at least. I just don't know if they'd want another situation where transferring Pokemon would be impossible to do.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom