• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pokemon Home

I'm also guessing there might be an improved 3rd game with the national dex later.
i'm not buying into that for two key reasons: 1) neither SM nor USUM had the national dex anyways as it was relegated to Bank, which i imagine will still hold for Home; 2) during the PR runs for USUM, Game Freak openly acknowledged that they'd started to view DLC differently (and pretty much were a couple sentences away from saying that USUM itself probably should've been DLC to boot).

it's highly likely that they will just patch in the remaining pokemon, whether it be in clumps or all at once, at some point.

Those maniacs just pulled it off. They actually made me think about skipping four consecutive Pokémon games in the space of three years. It doesn't really matter how long this lasts or how big the Galar Dex is; they've just gone and alienated a large swathe of their fanbase with such a boneheaded decision.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even bother with cross-gen transfers! I'm simply just that annoyed with what they've done here...

This is simply sad. To think that for a large portion of the fandom, nothing they reveal next is going to matter now.

All the awesome new Pokémon, all the interesting new characters, all the new battling mechanics...all of it is for naught, because of this one glaring flaw.

I don’t want to sound too negative, but if this issue isn’t fixed, then Gen 8 may truly be the beginning of the end for Pokémon.

Maybe that’s the plan. Maybe they’re the real life version of Metro Man...

I’m kind of surprised at how non-outraged I feel about this considering the initial reaction I had to Dynamaxing, but for now I’m just going to take solace in the Pokémon that I can transfer over. Just leveled up my Dream Ball Sylveon to 50 and working on Level Ball Charizard right now. Speaking of....

I have a theory about what they’re gonna do with Zard based on what we’ve heard so far. But I’m not sure if it’s too far off topic for this thread.

So we can't transfer any non-Galar Pokémon at all? Or was it an out-of-context statement that meant we can't transfer those Pokémon without the National Dex? Is the National Dex going to be in Sword and Shield or has it gotten to the point where there's too many Pokémon to program?

After the press conference where they announced Pokemon HOME, and the latest Pokemon Direct, I was actually pretty excited for Sword and Shield.
The fact that it's essentially shipping half-baked is a total dealbreaker. Having only a certain portion– however large that portion may be– of the available roster of Pokemon is fundamentally incompatible with how I play...

I mean this means I can't just move over my whole Living Pokedex all at once.
I have a collection of about 2,500 Pokemon in Pokemon Bank. Some of those Pokemon are five to fifteen years old! Shinies, IV-trained competitive teams, and all my veterans.

Why would I buy the latest games if there's going to be some invisible barrier stopping me from bringing over all my old friends?

Until and unless they clarify what the plan is with all this, I'm likely skipping Sword and Shield altogether...

Edit: I jumped the gun and bought a Switch prematurely months ago. I have serious buyer's remorse now.

Last edited:
i don't actually have much of a problem with TransferGate on artistic grounds; i think a neatly curated roster of available pokémon and movesets has the potential to be better-balanced than the perpetual haven for landorus, for example, though ultimately it really depends on which pokémon they choose to allow. i admit that i do think it would be pretty weak if the original 151 all somehow made it in while no other group did in their entirety, but i could indeed see that happening. and like, do we really need to cram all of the pseudo-legendaries in there yet again like in alola? right now we already have three of them confirmed.

I think that my only immediate concern for this issue would be if there are fewer new Pokemon in order to include as many older Pokemon as possible. Granted, the past couple of generations have provided a smaller amount of Pokemon and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Both the sixth and seventh generations had some terrific designs and some of the Pokemon from those games quickly became some my favorite Pokemon, but I'd be disappointed if they had to make the amount of new Pokemon even smaller than usual to make older Pokemon available. I don't think that they'd do that, but that thought still crossed my mind.

Games don't have to be 100% perfect on release. GO started off with only Generation I Pokémon (barring Ditto and the Legendaries) and tons of bugs. Even today, it maintains a playerbase in the millions in spite of constant bugs and Niantic's occasional screwups. Kingdom Hearts III got backlash for not having Critical Mode at release (along with its poor handling of Frozen), but that was eventually patched in. And let's not get into Spyro Reignited Trilogy and its initial lack of subtitles in cutscenes (believe me, Spyro fans are far more toxic than Pokémon and Kingdom Hearts fans combined).

As shocked as I am for not being able to transfer all species of Pokémon from Bank and GO into SwSh, I'm not one to hold a grudge. I'm still going to get Home, and use it to hold the Pokémon I've kept over the years for future games, like the potential Sinnoh remakes or Let's Go sequels. It would be stupid to be able to hold over 830 Pokémon in Home and not let around half of them be used. Nintendo and Game Freak may have upcoming ideas that have not been announced yet.

Last edited:
i don't actually have much of a problem with TransferGate on artistic grounds; i think a neatly curated roster of available pokémon and movesets has the potential to be better-balanced than the perpetual haven for landorus, for example, though ultimately it really depends on which pokémon they choose to allow.

If it really is a "balance" issue, okay, just bar Pokemon from outside the Galar-Dex from entering competitive battles... Not putting them in Sword and Shield at all is very much overkill for that problem.

i don't actually have much of a problem with TransferGate on artistic grounds; i think a neatly curated roster of available pokémon and movesets has the potential to be better-balanced than the perpetual haven for landorus, for example, though ultimately it really depends on which pokémon they choose to allow. i admit that i do think it would be pretty weak if the original 151 all somehow made it in while no other group did in their entirety, but i could indeed see that happening. and like, do we really need to cram all of the pseudo-legendaries in there yet again like in alola? right now we already have three of them confirmed.

Culling so many Pokémon and leaving us with a much smaller roster has the likely out one that even more people will use the same teams and same Pokémon in tournaments as they did before. They seem like they are trying to solve balancing issues with newer balancing issues. Unless they make every single Pokémon even, there will always be some kind of imbalance and meta game, that holds true for almost any game like this, so culling at least half (if not more) Pokémon from the games completely and ruining all aspects of gameplay (not just the competitive aspects) is not a good enough solution. They have always made rule sets for tournaments and online battles to help try and balance things, so they could have easily done that instead of just deciding not to program in half the Pokémon. In my opinion, that excuse is a cop out, and it's the development time issue that seems to be what the actual problem is (Although I'm not happy with that excuse really, either).

This puts a huge damper in the games for me. One of the main appeals of Pokémon to me is bringing all of my old teams to the next generation. But I saw this coming. Pokemon Let's Go was an experiment with this concept.

Yeah, I know. There are a lot of Pokémon to deal with. But you know, at this point? I would sacrifice getting new Pokémon for a long time just to keep the old ones. There are so many myself and others I haven't used. It would still be a fresh experience. Hell, they could instead put their focus on a more interesting story and region design.

But I know they won't do this. Because if there's anything they know, it's that you can't sell a main series new Gen without shiny new Pokémon.

So instead, I believe Gamefreak should make generations last a far longer time, so they can increase the number more slowly and steadily. Just release more types of main series games that aren't just remakes. Have a game like Colosseum, where you kind of introduce a newish region in the same generation with no new Pokémon, to keep people coming inbetween the gens. We don't really need a new Pokémon game like... nearly every year either. Space out these releases.

The future is uncertain right now. I hope they don't start retconning Pokémon out of existence. I don't want to be melodramatic, but it is a (probably unlikely) possibility still, especially with how they keep touting simplicity.

All I can do is pray they fix this at some point. In the mean time, they should at least throw us a bone and tell us what they're going to do with the rest of the Pokémon that won't be in the Galar dex so we won't be freaking out. I doubt they'll do this though. Gamefreak never communicates things like that until they happen.

Last edited:
Culling so many Pokémon and leaving us with a much smaller roster has the likely out one that even more people will use the same teams and same Pokémon in tournaments as they did before. They seem like they are trying to solve balancing issues with newer balancing issues. Unless they make every single Pokémon even, there will always be some kind of imbalance and meta game, that holds true for almost any game like this, so culling at least half (if not more) Pokémon from the games completely and ruining all aspects of gameplay (not just the competitive aspects) is not a good enough solution. They have always made rule sets for tournaments and online battles to help try and balance things, so they could have easily done that instead of just deciding not to program in half the Pokémon. In my opinion, that excuse is a cop out, and it's the development time issue that seems to be what the actual problem is (Although I'm not happy with that excuse really, either).
i mean, it depends on what pokemon are still left in. you can end up with diverse teams out of a smaller roster-- which as a tangent, we have no idea how 'small' this roster may be-- but what causes teams to become homogenized is when there are meta centering pokemon. stuff like Landorus, M-Kangaskhan, and Primal Groudon, are all examples of pokemon that are "too good" and consequently require people to always have them and build a team around having them and dealing with them.

I've never bothered with cross-generation transfers, so it won't bother me much. But I feel bad for the people who do transfer older Pokemon. This really stinks for them.
has it gotten to the point where there's too many Pokémon to program?
You know, I was wondering about this. Maybe releasing a new game almost every year combined with shorter windows between generations made this problem inevitable. Of course, I know almost nothing about video game design, so this is just speculation on my part.

I rather have them delay the game and fix it before the game releases so that we don't have to deal with this issue.
I said this in another forum, but what would a delay exactly accomplish?

We did know that at release in November we’d be stuck with the Pokémon catchable in Galar because both Home is what is going to allow us to transfer Pokémon from Bank to SwSh. And Home was going to be released in 2020. If Garchomp line wasn’t in Galar, for example, we already knew we wouldn’t be able to use it until 2020.

The problem isn’t about the period of release of Gen 8, but when Home is going to be released since we’ll still be stuck with the Galar dex.

The Switch can work with updates, so they can very well say that they’re going to work after Home release to update the models and animations of all Pokèmon so that they’ll create a free update (or paid dlc, unfortunately) to allow transfers of all Pokémon in Galar, or to update the Galar dex, or something like that.

I remember reading in another thread a pretty good idea for Pokémon Home: what if Home has battle simulation and mini game functionality in addition to trading and storage? That way, you can actually utilize all of the Pokémon you’ve transferred over. We might have to recycle assets and/or settle for 2D sprites though due to dev time.

I’ll admit that this is far from ideal in comparison to every Pokémon being programmed into the games proper. However, if the alternative is to just have them sit there in Pokémon Home until they get included in a regional Pokédex (if they ever will), then this is the best chance we’ve got at the moment.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom