• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pokemon Home

I saw this coming a mile away, and, unsurprisingly, I'm not bothered by it. Because I feel that this little "issue" is more-or-less a testing phase. I feel that, over time, Home and Gen 8 will get patched and/or updated to further accommodate the massive influx of Mons just sitting in Bank. They'll probably use Galar as a test to see how much the Switch can handle, and, if everything goes accordingly, they'll either allow non-Galar dex Mons to be transferred on a later date, or they'll wait until the potential DP remakes to do it. Frankly, I don't feel it's the end of the world, nor do I feel it's a deal-breaker, and I feel that people are getting extremely worked up over it. Besides, they probably wanted to get the game out before Christmas, so they had to do something to ease production. And it's not like patches are unheard of, like Smash Bros, Spyro, and so on tend to get extra updates and patches here and there, so I feel they'll patch/upgrade everything when they know if the Switch is able to handle it. Remember, the Switch is powerful, but not as powerful as, say, the PS4, and this is the first main series Pokemon game on Switch, so there will be at least a testing stage during the time the game out to see if it can handle everything.

Frankly, it's fine with me, as it'll give the region a chance to shine on its own without something else (like Kanto) overshadowing it. I rather like the whole "start-from-scratch" idea, as it means there will be new toys to play with and experiment with, as well as giving me a lot of BW vibes. As for Home, I feel that, over time, it'll be adjusted to accommodate what it needs to hold, along with the Galar games. And even if the Galar games don't get upgraded completely for that task, if they do DP remakes, they could always use those games as the National Dex holders. If anything, like XY, Galar will probably be a test region to see how the Switch handles the games and its contents. If it works out, then future games will be far more streamlined and accommodating. So, I really don't feel it's the end of all existence because you can't transfer over a few Mons. Give it some time and we'll see what happens next, as it's a bit too early to be getting so revved up and wanting to strangle someone. If there's one thing I've learned when it comes to stuff like this, it's that you have to be flexible and roll with it until you're absolutely sure that they won't fix the issue over time. That's my 2 cents.

That's what confuses me about this matter. Can't we just...wait? They wouldn't make an app to store your pokemon if they didn't give you a REASON to store your pokemon. We will be able to use them again at some point, or it doesn't make logical sense. This is what happened with the 3rd gen. I implore you. Wait.

Yes, wait at least a year and hold your tongues if you need to pay extra.

The promises about the future should come from Game Freak - not fans. This is a policy change that will be applied to future games unless the backlash is vocal.

Frankly, it's fine with me, as it'll give the region a chance to shine on its own without something else (like Kanto) overshadowing it. I rather like the whole "start-from-scratch" idea, as it means there will be new toys to play with and experiment with, as well as giving me a lot of BW vibes.
Eh. This is much more like XY than BW in terms of the main story.

i mean, it depends on what pokemon are still left in. you can end up with diverse teams out of a smaller roster-- which as a tangent, we have no idea how 'small' this roster may be-- but what causes teams to become homogenized is when there are meta centering pokemon. stuff like Landorus, M-Kangaskhan, and Primal Groudon, are all examples of pokemon that are "too good" and consequently require people to always have them and build a team around having them and dealing with them.

There will ALWAYS be a meta game for these types of games, it is unavoidable. The only way to stop it would be to literally make every single Pokémon 'even' which would present more issues. This will solve nothing, all it will do is create a new 'metagame,' one with much less options, therefore increasing the odds even more that people will end up using the same Pokémon, and very similar teams. If you get rid of Pokémon that are 'too-good' then the next Pokémon down the list will be on top and be considered 'too good.' and so fourth. Plus, they always have official rules to control these things. Culling Pokémon from the entire games is completely unnecessary for balance when all they had to do was do what they always done. There is no difference between just banning certain Pokémon from official tournaments and culling Pokémon from the entire game in a competitive view for example, however, culling Pokémon affects the entire gameplay of the games, from the competitive scene down to the very aspects of 'single player going through the storyline.' There is no reason at all to take that away from players. That is why I personally believe their 'balancing issues' excuse is a mere cop out to give an extra justification to making the decision. I believe it their 'development time' issue is the real, sole reasoning.

I honestly don't doubt that the Galar Pokedex is gonna be massive. I just had such high hopes for the games. I was expecting EVERY POKEMON EVER to appear in the open world part, and that it'd be like an MMORPG with updates every now and then, raids, and events etc. This just feels so unnecessary.

I'm mostly upset with this because I always move my Pokemon around in teams. I keep my old Pokemon organized in rows of 6 from each consecutive playthrough. So now what, I only get to move half a team while their teammates are stuck in limbo forever? And on top of that I have a whole box full of Pokemon I've worked hard to breed. You're telling me now I can bring that perfect Pelipper of mine, but not my perfect Plusle?

I hate to be negative about things but this upsets me.

While I still think it's unfortunate, it's definitely not the end of the world (even though I'm willing to bet money my favorites won't make it it :( ) But either way the game still looks like a lot of fun. I highly doubt they're gonna let people's Pokemon from 2003 go to waste.

Lol, I had a feeling that this would happen ever since Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee ended up trolling the fandom by only including Gen 1 Pokemon and the Meltan line. I wasn't planning on getting the games anyway so the transfer limitation doesn't affect me, but it's still fun to see Gamefreak get so much backlash from even the most hardcore fans. It's been a longgggg time coming.

There will ALWAYS be a meta game for these types of games, it is unavoidable. The only way to stop it would be to literally make every single Pokémon 'even' which would present more issues. This will solve nothing, all it will do is create a new 'metagame,' one with much less options, therefore increasing the odds even more that people will end up using the same Pokémon, and very similar teams. If you get rid of Pokémon that are 'too-good' then the next Pokémon down the list will be on top and be considered 'too good.' and so fourth. Plus, they always have official rules to control these things. Culling Pokémon from the entire games is completely unnecessary for balance when all they had to do was do what they always done. There is no difference between just banning certain Pokémon from official tournaments and culling Pokémon from the entire game in a competitive view for example, however, culling Pokémon affects the entire gameplay of the games, from the competitive scene down to the very aspects of 'single player going through the storyline.' There is no reason at all to take that away from players. That is why I personally believe their 'balancing issues' excuse is a mere cop out to give an extra justification to making the decision. I believe it their 'development time' issue is the real, sole reasoning.
there's nothing inherently wrong with metas. i don't understand why gamers throw it around like a negative buzzword; metas are inevitable in almost any game (and life). what is a problem is when something is meta shaping, centered, or defining. there's a fundamental difference between, for example, a setting where say, Dragonite is the best pokemon because everything better got dumped out and a setting where Primal Groudon is the best pokemon because it literally is too strong for anything else. in the case of the former, the next best pokemon is likely to be nearly as good. further, in this specific case, Dragonite has plentiful abusable weaknesses. in the case of the latter, if you don't pick Primal Groudon and pick a Pokemon to counter it, you will lose.

and then i think the cherry on top is that the primary reason isn't balance alone, but the fact that they wanna finish touching up models (and rebalance some pokemon along the way) and didn't want fans to wait.

and then i think the cherry on top is that the primary reason isn't balance alone, but the fact that they wanna finish touching up models (and rebalance some pokemon along the way) and didn't want fans to wait.
A Morton's Fork, this is. Delay the game to around early 2020 to finish work on all Gen I - VII Pokémon, and fans will complain. Release it on time, but with some Pokémon missing from the code, and fans will complain. Game Freak was screwed either way. This is coming from someone who saw Kingdom Hearts III be delayed to early 2019, and even then, things like the Secret Ending, Critical Mode, and New Game+ had to be patched in later on (not to mention Olaf is set for a replacement voice actor in the Japanese version).

As I said in the speculation thread:

My hope is that they plan to use HOME as storage, trading and PvP hub from then on. This would only make sense - let it be the go-to source for all thing VGC and competitive battling. And let the Galar games be just what they should be - a new adventure with select mons.
HOME doesn't need all the flashy graphics - Showdown shows that its not necessary. Just let us battle with our raised mons from Alola, Kalos or even GO.

If that's what they're planning, I'm all for it tbh

A Morton's Fork, this is. Delay the game to around early 2020 to finish work on all Gen I - VII Pokémon, and fans will complain. Release it on time, but with some Pokémon missing from the code, and fans will complain. Game Freak was screwed either way. This is coming from someone who saw Kingdom Hearts III be delayed to early 2019, and even then, things like the Secret Ending, Critical Mode, and New Game+ had to be patched in later on (not to mention Olaf is set for a replacement voice actor in the Japanese version).

I keep thinking that every time people say that they would have preferred for the game to be delayed. Some people might have been okay with waiting, but I imagine a lot of fans would have been annoyed or frustrated waiting potentially another year for the new generation on the Switch. One of the reasons why the initial reception towards Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee last year was mixed/negative was because a lot of people wanted an eighth generation or D/P remake announcement last year. There might not have been much of an easy solution here since Game Freak would have gotten complaints either way. Perhaps a delay for Sword/Shield wouldn't have received as much immediate backlash compared to this, but fans wouldn't have been happy with either option.

So, who here thinks that Pokémon Home is going to be more than a storage thing? What would you personally add to make it more than Pokémon purgatory?

The way they put it, it sounds like they can't do it at launch which is totally understandable. I think it's the lack of clarification of whether or not they plan to include the option to transfer everyone later that's really upsetting people. I mean, even if it took another year I think people would be willing to wait just knowing that the option was coming eventually.

The way they put it, it sounds like they can't do it at launch which is totally understandable. I think it's the lack of clarification of whether or not they plan to include the option to transfer everyone later that's really upsetting people. I mean, even if it took another year I think people would be willing to wait just knowing that the option was coming eventually.

That would really help the situation a lot. I'm sure that people would still be upset, but knowing that the option to transfer every Pokemon would come eventually would help reduce the backlash. I still hope that could happen down the road, if only so that fans can calm down.

So, who here thinks that Pokémon Home is going to be more than a storage thing? What would you personally add to make it more than Pokémon purgatory?

Basically make it like a stripped down Pokemon game itself.

Essentially a Pokemon Essential mode or an expanded PokePelago combined with a PokeWalker.

* Exploration Mode:
You can assemble a team of 1, 3, or 6 Pokemon, point to a themed place on the map and "Walk" through it encountering wild Pokemon you can capture and randomly generated NPC trainers you can battle. They could be new places or themed around old game areas like Viridian Forest.

Then for connectivity features:
  • A Pokemon Daycare that raises the level of your Pokemon and allows you to breed.
  • A Pokemon School to teach moves.
  • The ability to battle and trade with other players.
A Pokemonami-style minigame where you can pet Pokemon and/or Pokethlon and Pokemon Contests would be nice but not something essential.

If they did most of that, I'm willing to forgive curated Pokemon collections in main titles.

I'd be fine if this was all done with sprites instead of models, btw.

If not, it's just a collection of pixels with no interactivity that you have to pay a subscription for? I'm dropping the series entirely.

And just like that i sold my switch and will be canceling my preorder

and i now realize i should have expected this BS from gamefreak after they've done some versions of it in the past

but to me i fully now expect them to this (release them) in three parts maybe 200 in shield and sword those 200 and 300 for gen 4 remakes and the last remaining amount with sequels or ultra version or 3rd version like emerald or platinum

ps the numbers are hypothetical

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom