• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pokemon Home

What really bothers me is that he made it sounds as though they were prioritizing presentation over gameplay. As a two-decade long fan, I'd rather have N64 graphics with all of the Pokemon than fancy new models for only some of them.

Last edited:
I do hope they never cut off Bank, that would be extremely scummy and would force people to buy a Switch, which I at this point don't have yet and still unsure if I'll even buy one since so far I'm not that impressed with this game.

Switch has a ever-growing catalog of great games, enough to justify its purchase, some of which I'd even say is greater than Pokémon. Pokémon isn't really the decision maker in this regard. That is, unless, you only like Pokémon, and no other games on the system, or you have a different reason altogether for not buying a Switch.

I myself am not getting Sword or Shield for a while anyways, even after release. I will be playing other games on my PS4 and Switch. Pokémon to me isn't a priority, so I can wait until I find it the right time to get the game.

Never buy a console/handheld device for one game or company alone.

I made that mistake when I bought an Xbox 360 for Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. And I still regret that decision ever since.

Granted, I bought a Switch mostly for Breath of the Wild, but I knew there would be many other games coming out for Switch that I would enjoy. And they did. The Nintendo Switch has come a long way since two years ago and it features one of the biggest and best library of games I've seen on a Nintendo device for a long time. Instead of deciding whether Pokemon Sword/Shield is worth the purchase of a Switch, try looking at its full library and decide based on that.

Switch has a ever-growing catalog of great games, enough to justify its purchase, some of which I'd even say is greater than Pokémon. Pokémon isn't really the decision maker in this regard. That is, unless, you only like Pokémon, and no other games on the system, or you have a different reason altogether for not buying a Switch.

Well that's just it, literally nothing at the E3 excited me lol, Sword and Shield is literally the only game so far I actually like for the Switch. There are other games that look kinda fun, but not worth buying a new console for. Maybe the BotW sequel but I have strong doubts it's going to be anything that couldn't just have been DLC, so soon after BotW. So yeah, I either get my hands on a free Switch somehow or I'm just going to have to skip this game.

I have strong doubts it's going to be anything that couldn't just have been DLC, so soon after BotW. So yeah, I either get my hands on a free Switch somehow or I'm just going to have to skip this game.
Since they haven't confirmed a release date, it might be released 4 years after the first game. I'd find that pretty disappointing if I were a fan, but I don't know what the average fan is looking for...

The only Switch-exclusive game that has made me think "this might be interesting" is Yokai Watch 4, whose localization is unconfirmed.

Never buy a console/handheld device for one game or company alone.
I bought my 3DS when Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance was released, during Generation V. Fortunately, I'm also an Animal Crossing fan as well.

When I get my Switch for SwSh, I'm intending to get the remaster of Final Fantasy VIII (and X/X-2) as well. A major plus for an Australian who travels a lot and must endure several hours in a car or plane. (Seriously, is there a Pokémon version of Triple Triad out there?)

The more I read about this, the more relaxed about it I'm getting. Mind, I haven't personally played the games since Black and White due to budgetary reasons, but it still irked me to hear that full compatibility was potentially getting the ax. However, the thought that the core game mechanics might be receiving universal support in a single, centralized hub, while the traditional paired RPG releases merely act as extensions to introduce new Pokémon and flesh out the lore, is somewhat comforting. Our old friends may not be able to go everywhere and do everything, but they'll at least be hanging around somewhere and have something to do going forward, and may even be rewarded for their patience with new adventures of their own at some point. For me, that would be enough.

I have a personal solution for all of this. I'm still buying both games because I'm still looking forward to playing them. But I'm not transferring any of my Pokemon until all of them are available in the game. I'll just make sure to catch all of the new Pokemon. If the game gets updated then I'll transfer everyone and complete the dex.

For me, that would be enough.
No offense, but that's easy to say when you can't transfer anything unless you get a 3DS and one of its games.

To me, the idea of having to wait years just to actually use a Pokemon I already have, is rather ridiculous. Pokemon (you'd actually battle with) shouldn't be moved from the 3DS games (or Go/LGPE) unless they're accessible in a current Switch game.

Last edited:
No offense, but that's easy to say when you can't transfer anything unless you get a 3DS and one of its games.

To me, the idea of having to wait years just to actually use a Pokemon I already have, is rather ridiculous. Pokemon (you'd actually battle with) shouldn't be moved from the 3DS games (and Go and LGPE) unless they're accessible in a current Switch game.

If the speculation proves to be accurate and Home does indeed support the core gameplay features to any significant degree, it'd be easy enough to think of it as the current "main" game with the paired versions essentially being glorified mission packs. Yes, it's a rather drastic change from what's come before, but it could turn out to be a beneficial move down the road, given some refinement.

Granted, that's a best-case scenario and probably not very likely to come true, but I think it's still much too early to completely abandon all hope.

If the speculation proves to be accurate and Home does indeed support the core gameplay features to any significant degree, it'd be easy enough to think of it as the current "main" game with the paired versions essentially being glorified mission packs. Yes, it's a rather drastic change from what's come before, but it could turn out to be a beneficial move down the road, given some refinement.

Granted, that's a best-case scenario and probably not very likely to come true, but I think it's still much too early to completely abandon all hope.
Basically Home would be the "core" PVP game experience and the individual titles would be the PVE story mode. It would demarcate the series similar to how Stadium and the GI/II titles worked.

While Silktree did say you can just trade for the Galar Pokemon, removing the need to purchase the titles, you could just trade for out of Pokedex Pokemon in every Pokemon RPG with both a new game and a remake, so it wouldn't be that different to previous incarnations of the series. It all depends on the scope and pricing of Home.

They clearly haven't planned for Home to become a battle simulator, or they would have said so to appease us. Whether or not the reactions will change their minds remains to be seen, but I'm struggling to see why they wouldn't just update SwSh in such a case. Are you expecting 2D battles?

They clearly haven't planned for Home to become a battle simulator, or they would have said so to appease us. Whether or not the reactions will change their minds remains to be seen, but I'm struggling to see why they wouldn't just update SwSh in such a case. Are you expecting 2D battles?
Yeah, that's what I'd expect. Either static 2D battles or extremely simplified models like in the Voxel Quest style or the Rumble style. Having the Pokemon be sprites, voxels, or abstract toys keeps the people who want to use the old Pokemon happy while keeping fully animated high-quality models exclusive to Sword and Shield.

It would also allow them to have two seperate competitive cups and you'd instantly recognize the format - the open format would use the simplified models or 16-bit sprites while the HD format could be the marquee attraction with the curated PokeDex.

It would also allow them to have two seperate competitive cups and you'd instantly recognize the format - the open format would use the simplified models or sprites while the HD format could be the marquee attraction with the curated PokeDex.
That's feasible, but I wouldn't bet on it. It's fun to think about HD sprites for 1000+ designs, but that would be quite the undertaking. Go models with limited motion (even more than in SwSh, lol) would make the most sense, but that would be a minor difference that would undermine Game Freak's position...

Last edited:
Anyone think that Home might have some mini-games like the Pokémon Amie and the Sevii Isles' Joyful Game Corner, but more complex/involved? I think things like those could be fun if Pokémon of different types/sizes each had their benefits and drawbacks in said mini games. It fits with the comment about your Pokémon being "very active" in Home.

there's nothing inherently wrong with metas. i don't understand why gamers throw it around like a negative buzzword; metas are inevitable in almost any game (and life). what is a problem is when something is meta shaping, centered, or defining. there's a fundamental difference between, for example, a setting where say, Dragonite is the best pokemon because everything better got dumped out and a setting where Primal Groudon is the best pokemon because it literally is too strong for anything else. in the case of the former, the next best pokemon is likely to be nearly as good. further, in this specific case, Dragonite has plentiful abusable weaknesses. in the case of the latter, if you don't pick Primal Groudon and pick a Pokemon to counter it, you will lose.

and then i think the cherry on top is that the primary reason isn't balance alone, but the fact that they wanna finish touching up models (and rebalance some pokemon along the way) and didn't want fans to wait.

You make it sound like I was using the term negatively, however, i did not. I said the very same thing, that meta games are inevitable in every game similar to this. That is precisely why I said that culling at least half the Pokémon from the entirety of the games doesn't solve any balancing/metagame issues, because new balancing issues/metagame will spring in it's place.

From a gameplay perspective, there is no difference between those two situations. In both scenarios, you'll have one Pokémon/team of Pokémon that are better than the others. But if that was really the issue, they have always made rules when it comes to competitive battling, such as banning Pokémon and what not. They did not need to completely remove Pokémon from the entire game just to 'fix' balancing issues. This is why I believe the sole reasoning for their decision is purely time restraints, and their 'balancing issues' remark was just a way for them to further justify making this decision. Of course, I could be wrong, but any balancing issues they think they have, they could have gotten the exact same result simply by banning those Pokémon from competitive play, not remove them entirely so that nobody can use them again.

I wonder if they'll have an NPC character to help with the storage and activities, like Brigette in Pokemon Bank, and Burnet of the Dream Radar.

It would be awesome if they brought someone like Wally as the Home NPC. I have a feeling it would suit him if Home turns out to be an app perfectly designed for storage+all your competitive needs.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom