• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pokemon Home

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. So the GTS portion of Home essentially lets you trade SwSh Pokemon without having to pay for Switch Online?

I'm still baffled as to why they cut the GTS from the games themselves.

Nevertheless, this is about what I expected from Home, so nothing here surprises me in the slightest.

What I like: Instead of icons for representing the Pokemon they used cool cel-shaded versions of the Sugimori artworks.
What I don't like: Everything else. Once again they just did the bare minimum and expect lots of money in return. I wasn't expecting minigames or islands for Pelago, but there are very few reasons to pay such a high price for transferring and collecting. I do not get at all why the trade features are exclusive to mobile either (including Mystery Gift, possibly our only way to get the annual gifts) and why are they pushing it this much. The GTS reappering with no changes is not surprising. Also, Bank should be made free since this clearly absorbs all of its costs, but they won't do it because $$$.

This kills all my desires of doing a Living Dex, I think I'll just use it for transferring Version exclusives and trade evolutions.

Last edited:
It looks like a decent upgrade from Bank, nothing out of expectation, though the sticker feature was a cute surprise. I do certainly wish the price was a little bit lower, as it doesn't seem like it expands enough on Bank to justify that much of a price upgrade, but it certainly isn't terrible. In fact, it looks like it's cheaper to pay for Home and trade on mobile devices than it is to purchase NSO and trade over SwSh. So this is certainly great for people who thought of only buying NSO for trade functionality.

It's nice to have the GTS back. I have to say even with how much I hate the trade offers, I missed it when I spent hours going through the Ditto trading service Link Code and Wonder Trade looking for a foreign Ditto. This will definitely be helpful for dex completion.

Overall. It's fine. I would have liked more for the price, or a cheaper price with just this, but it's certainly not an awful price to pay. I do wish we could get that release date sometime soon, something more than February. But hey if it's February 1st I won't complain.

That being said, all this monetization between Dexit, DLC, and now Home makes me wonder if TPC new method is to make money off every Pokémon having a cult following.
I’m not really convinced that this generation is much worse than past ones (other than $40 -> $60 for base games but that’s not surprising).
These same features have been around since gen 6. Just replace DLC with third version/sequels and Home with Bank.

Overall. It's fine. I would have liked more for the price, or a cheaper price with just this, but it's certainly not an awful price to pay. I do wish we could get that release date sometime soon, something more than February. But hey if it's February 1st I won't complain.
I certainly disagree with this. It's triple the price as Bank for pretty much exactly the same thing plus a couple bells and whistles without the ability to transfer all the pokemon, and it paywalls GTS a feature that used to be in the base. I'm livid.

Last edited:
15.99 for the year definitely feels steep. Especially considering there's a number of other subscriptions I've paid for that are around the same price and feel like they offer more value in the long run.

It also feels a little suspect that migrating your Pokemon forward is a premium feature, makes it seem like they were well aware what the money maker was going to be.

I imagine if I do go for this it'll probably just be for a month or so to migrate Pokemon forward into Pokemon Shield. I'll probably just wait for the expansion too because most of the Pokemon I'd be migrating (aside from old team members) are legendaries.

(At least there's a free version, in fairness that's more than I was expecting)

I certainly disagree with this. It's triple the price as Bank for pretty much exactly the same thing plus a couple bells and whistles without the ability to transfer all the pokemon, and it pays ways GTS a feature that used to be in the base. I'm livid.
Honest the price increase makes sense since home allows you to do more than just storage. You can be mad that you have to pay more but it still make sense regardless. And even then then it's still not that much for an annual payment

@Knightwolf09 How much more are we given when GTS used to be a standard feature, we can't use all the Pokemon in every game anymore, and the minigame stuff in minimal and Pokemon Dream World was a free service at one point?

It doesn't make sense to me at all outside of greed. I don't see any actual value here just price hikes and paywalls

@Knightwolf09 How much more are we given when GTS used to be a standard feature, we can't use all the Pokemon in every game anymore, and the minigame stuff in minimal and Pokemon Dream World was a free service at one point?

It doesn't make sense to me at all outside of greed. I don't see any actual value here just price hikes and paywalls
You're going to have to take that to gaming industries in general, cause this is the norm now. Also GTS is still free. If anything I think having it separate eases things for them a bit

Honest the price increase makes sense since home allows you to do more than just storage.

Yeah, but the storage and transferring is, I think, clearly the main point of value that they're using to try to justify a paid plan. The other premium benefits are all pretty small improvements on what free users already get - premium lets you trade a couple more Pokémon at a single time, lets you host Room Trades instead of just joining them, and gives you an IV judge (wowee some hot premium-tier shit we got right there). Mass storage and transferring - the functions that Bank existed to provide - are the big exclusives. I'm glad the GTS and trade features are free, but I can certainly see the "premium is just Bank with some bells and whistles at triple the price" view.

Yeah, but the storage and transferring is, I think, clearly the main point of value that they're using to try to justify a paid plan. The other premium benefits are all pretty small improvements on what free users get - premium lets you trade a couple more Pokémon at a single time, lets you host Room Trades instead of just joining them, and gives you an IV judge (wowee some hot premium-tier shit we got right here). I'm glad the GTS and trade features are free, but I can certainly see the "premium is just Bank with some bells and whistles at triple the price" view.
You forgot to mention the bank compatibility plus over 6000 slots for pokemon. Which I'm fairly sure is for living dexers
The norm is fucked then. It is completely justified to complain about the norm when the norm is horseshit

This is straight up price gouging.
Never said you had to like it. But still it's not that bad compared to other paid services

You forgot to mention the bank compatibility plus over 6000 slots for pokemon. Which I'm fairly sure is for living dexers

I edited my post to be a little more clear, but I didn't forget to mention those - that's what the first sentence is saying. Premium's big, exclusive benefits are mass storage and transferring; the other perks are just minor improvements on free features. Therefore its most direct comparison is to Bank, which offered those same services for a third of the price. So people specifically wanting to use the mass storage or transfer features are having to triple their payment in order to continue using a service similar to the one they currently rely on, and the other minor perks don't really make up for that since they'd be able to do most of that stuff (with just slight limitations) anyway by using the app for free, and in previous games were able to access them all in the base game itself without paying any extra fees.

I edited my post to be a little more clear, but I didn't forget to mention those - that's what the first sentence is saying. Premium's big, exclusive benefits are mass storage and transferring; the other perks are just minor improvements on free features. Therefore its most direct comparison is to Bank, which offered those same services for a third of the price. So people specifically wanting to use the mass storage or transfer features are having to triple their payment in order to continue using a service similar to the one they currently rely on, and the other minor perks don't really make up for that since they'd be able to do most of that stuff (with just slight limitations) anyway by using the app for free, and in previous games were able to access them all in the base game itself without paying any extra fees.
There's also the fact you don't have to pay the full annual fee to transfer. About 3 bucks for a transfer, which is even cheaper than what you'd normally pay for with bank. While I see your point about paying more to do what you used to, you still don't have to pay the full fee to get what you want done. This is why I brought up the living dexers having the hardest time, cause it's hard to imagine people having over 200+ mons to take with them unless they were just that.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom