• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pokemon Home

Another problem I have with Home is that it requires a Smartphone for the key features. What happens if someone does not have a SmartPhone? Are they simply locked from those features? And I understand that most people have Smartphones, there are indeed people who don’t have smartphones, and will miss on things like GTS. I can’t believe that the decision to make trading phone exclusive was allowed to pass.

I get how people often feel like stuff like this "should be free because there was a free equivalent before" but I think on a deeper level it's often not 100% correct - often in the past trading between gens was a ballache, having recently replayed Gen 4 and wanting to transfer up the legendaries and a couple of shinies I did find myself getting a bit irritated at the amount of time it was taking
Most of that extra time came from the required minigame in Gen 5. It's one thing to improve the speed of something and charge for it, and quite another to add a roadblock and then charge for the version without it. Removing the minigame didn't require any labor to justify the cost. (And that's pretending that a process that requires you to use your 3DS, smartphone, and Switch is going to be more convenient)

Last edited:
I guess Serebii and Bulbapedia aren't updated yet, then.

I think Serebii usually lists the judge on the "useful characters" page for any given game (and in this case he does indeed)

Bulbapedia is usually slower to update with this stuff because it likes to be more comprehensive and formal.

Yeesh, what a complete ripoff. A minimal upgrade in features for three times the cost? No thank you. I'll probably just transfer a few Pokemon to round out my Galar Dex and then stop using it. Man, between Dexit and this they're making me want to bring up my old Pokemon less and less.
Pokemon at this point has become hypocritical with their claims of saying ''They don't like charging Pokemon with money''. But then, we're only human, and we are no better either. No doubt I'll be checking the DLCs out, but if they don't tick expectations, then it is quite clear by now that Pokemon have started to become worse than EA, Bethesta, Activision. Worse because they run an empire in Japan. Might as well have to call them Team Freak with their goals to sell as many Pokemon as possible.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there an IV checker in SwSh?

EDIT: My bad, I was wrong.

Yes, that's what I meant; in Home, the IV-checker is paywalled, so unless you pay for the premium service, you'll need to keep shifting Pokemon in and out of Home to check IVs as needed if you wanna actually take advantage of this "free" trading method.

£50 - SwSh
£30 - DLC
£5 per year - Bank
£15 per year - HOME
£18 per year - NSO

> £118 to have these games fully-functional in the UK Price.
> Have all the Pokémon (excluding the ones on DLC). But even with that said, it is still unfair for those that are starting out.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I meant; in Home, the IV-checker is paywalled, so unless you pay for the premium service, you'll need to keep shifting Pokemon in and out of Home to check IVs as needed if you wanna actually take advantage of this "free" trading method.
Actually, @Dieter mentioned there's a way to check them in-game:

No you're right, but like previus generations it's locked in the post-game. You have to reach rank 4 in the Battle Tower to get access to it, but after that you can check any Pokemon's IV's from the Box by pressing +

So, no, IV checking is not paywalled.

$60 - SwSh
$30 - DLC
$5 - Bank
$16 - HOME
$20 - NSO

> $131 to have these games fully-functional.
> still don’t have all the Pokémon.
£50 - SwSh
£30 - DLC
£5 per year - Bank
£15 per year - HOME
£18 per year - NSO

> £118 to have these games fully-functional in the UK Price.
> Have all the Pokémon (excluding the ones on DLC). But even with that said, it is still unfair for those that are starting out.
The games are fully functional for $60 (£50). Bank is free for a month, Home has a free version, and NSO is not needed for GTS or local trading.

I’m upset that we don’t have all the Pokémon, but yes surprisingly goods and services cost money. Arguably too much, but at least much of it is optional.

The games are fully functional for $60 (£50). Bank is free for a month, Home has a free version, and NSO is not needed for GTS or local trading.

I’m upset that we don’t have all the Pokémon, but yes surprisingly goods and services cost money. Arguably too much, but at least much of it is optional.
There's also the fact that not everyone wants Home or NSO (like me), so the game would be fully functional for $90, or less if I manage to get an used game. So, yes, saying you (general you, not Gardenia specifically) require everything to enjoy the game is false.

Actually, @Dieter mentioned there's a way to check them in-game:

So, no, IV checking is not paywalled.

I mean it's paywalled in 'Home'.

So if you want to take advantage of Home's "free" trading, you will need to check IVs in SwSh, then move them to Home to trade from there, then when you receive a Pokemon in return you need to move it back into Sword/Shield to check its IVs.

Meaning, unless you pay for the premium service, you'll need to keep shifting Pokemon in and out of Home and into Sword/Shield to check IVs as needed if you wanna actually take advantage of this "free" trading method. Because IV checking already exists for free in Sword/Shield, the only reason they would paywall that feature is to deliberately create a frustrating experience that can be absolved by paying for the deluxe version (i.e. creating a problem so they can sell you the solution).

Edit: Also, I just realised there's no method by which to check the IVs of Pokemon for free if they exist outside of those compatible with Sword/Shield.

Last edited:
$60 - SwSh
$30 - DLC
$5 - Bank
$16 - HOME
$20 - NSO

> $131 to have these games fully-functional.
> still don’t have all the Pokémon.

In no way can Sword & Shield be reasonably considered “not fully functional” just because you don’t have access to Bank. Come on.

And then, you only need to pay for Home if you want transferring (which relies entirely on having an old game to transfer Pokémon from to begin with, so, shouldn’t you tack on another $40 for a 3DS game to even use premium Home in conjunction with? And the cost of a 3DS? And the cost of a smartphone?) and mass storage (which has never been needed for a core game to be considered “fully functional.” Were Black & White not “fully functional” since they didn’t offer 3000+ storage slots?).

I mean it's paywalled in 'Home'.

So if you want to take advantage of Home's "free" trading, you will need to check IVs in SwSh, then move them to Home to trade from there, then when you receive a Pokemon in return you need to move it back into Sword/Shield to check its IVs.

Meaning, unless you pay for the premium service, you'll need to keep shifting Pokemon in and out of Home and into Sword/Shield to check IVs as needed if you wanna actually take advantage of this "free" trading method. Because IV checking already exists for free in Sword/Shield, the only reason they would paywall that feature is to deliberately create a frustrating experience that can be absolved by paying for the deluxe version (i.e. creating a problem so they can sell you the solution).

Edit: Also, I just realised there's no method by which to check the IVs of Pokemon for free if they exist outside of those compatible with Sword/Shield.
Okay, I get what you mean now. This is pretty much uncomfortable for competitive players.

Okay, I get what you mean now. This is pretty much uncomfortable for competitive players.
This is almost like WOW, Warhammer, D&D or any other franchise that requires spending money to get the bits and pieces to play the game.

This video here (a parody on ''Game Workshop'') has become more credible for the situation GF/TPCi had gotten themselves into.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSxQnZ3TM8

This is almost like WOW, Warhammer, D&D or any other franchise that requires spending money to get the bits and pieces to play the game.

This video here (a parody on ''Game Workshop'') has become more credible for the situation GF/TPCi had gotten themselves into.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSxQnZ3TM8

There’s nothing “required” about any of it. You can still enjoy the game for just the price of the game alone and arguably the DLC (which is still better than a 3rd version or sequel).

EDIT: Also that vid has literally 0 relevance to the current state of Pokémon lol

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom