• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pokemon Home

Pokemon GO to Home transfer is dropping. It's been pretty upsetting for people though. 7 day cooldowns or $10 for transfers, only being able to transfer a certain number of shinies/legendaries/one shiny legendary, and that thing about having to have the mon in SWSH before you can transfer one in from Home is apparently true.

Yeah, Joe Merrick of Serebii is not happy about this at all and can anyone blame him? This really seems like a greedy and scummy thing to do.

Yeah, Joe Merrick and some of the most chill fans I know of are not happy about it. It sucks to see because while I'm not a GO player anymore, I know how many people were looking forward to this and was even thinking of reinstalling the game for it. I guess not at this rate.

I think I remember Niantic responding to backlash and changing stuff before, so I hope they do so this time as well because....yikes.

Yeah, Joe Merrick and some of the most chill fans I know of are not happy about it. It sucks to see because while I'm not a GO player anymore, I know how many people were looking forward to this and was even thinking of reinstalling the game for it. I guess not at this rate.

I think I remember Niantic responding to backlash and changing stuff before, so I hope they do so this time as well because....yikes.

I've always been a chill fan myself and never used to complain about anything, but I've been feeling so sad and angry about the way Pokemon HOME has been handled ever since it first launched (especially with the way that it holds people's cherished Pokemon to ransom) and this new announcement is the final straw. It doesn't affect me personally as I'm not a GO player, but it makes me really sad to see the Pokemon Company, or whoever is responsible, stoop so low.

Pokemon Go won't connect to my Nintendo Switch for some reason, so I doubt I'll even be able to transfer from Go to Home.

There's a temporary level 40 level requirement to transfer anything from Go to Home. They'll lower over time but currently there's no timeline for when you can start transferring.

As for the actual update, I'm not even surprised that Niantic did something like this after how they handled Megas. It's blatantly greedy in a way that makes Pokemon Masters, an actual gacha, look completely reasonable. Like if they wanted to slow the rate of transfers there are hundreds of ways this could have been implemented that wouldn't have been as awful as this.

I haven't been the happiest with Niantic lately, but have kept mostly quiet about my issues with them. But this, this is just the worst offense yet (I know TPC also might have had some say, but based on Niantic's recent decisions to lock things behind a paywall, I am going to assume these ridiculous chargers are mostly on their part). I knew there was going to be a wait the time that could be skipped, but I was thinking maybe a few days and a hundred or 200 Pokecoins at once. A whole week or 1000 Pokecoins?! That is just ridiculous!

I am really hoping they respond to this and fix it because that is just excessive and greedy. So many people have spent hours and hours, and a ton of money already gong for some of those Pokemon. Buying Prenium Raid passes over and over again to hunt for shiny legendaries is not cheap. And then to make it cost that much more if you don't want to wait for an unbelievably long-time is disgusting.

I won't be spending a dime on it. I luckily don't have much I need to transfer and can wait for the stuff I want to, but still, this is just gross.

Joe Merrick of Serebii is not happy about this at all
1605060914023.png

Pokemon GO to Home transfer is dropping. It's been pretty upsetting for people though. 7 day cooldowns or $10 for transfers, only being able to transfer a certain number of shinies/legendaries/one shiny legendary, and that thing about having to have the mon in SWSH before you can transfer one in from Home is apparently true.

I'm going to tell Niantic about this because I cannot afford to pay $10 or 7 day cooldowns, I want to transfer my shiny Pokemon without payment.

Last edited:
Goddamn, I know I was (not even particularly seriously) lamenting the inevitable influx of Shinies that this compatibility would cause but this kind of measure to prevent that is outrageous. Holy shit what a racket.

I’ll transfer one thing for free to get the Melmetal and then that’s it.

Actually, Masters have been pretty reasonable to me, and I have not spent a single cent there. The "we discovered a new glitch" gems do help, too.

I don’t play Masters myself, but as I understand it, they also openly disclose the odds for chance events, which is something that Niantic have continually neglected to do with GO despite being called out on it countless times by players.

I don’t play Masters myself, but as I understand it, they also openly disclose the odds for chance events, which is something that Niantic have continually neglected to do with GO despite being called out on it countless times by players.
True. They show the percentages next to the characters. Only place they don't do that is with the free daily pull, but at least the banners have their odds in the open.

Level 40, getting 50 coins a day because I'm always out taking gyms, already did a test transfer of 25 Pokémon, and still have plenty of energy left.

Cannot trade GO-originated Burmy through the GTS, but they're not greyed out for some reason. I've not tested on whether GO-originated Pokémon in the Galar dex can be surprised traded in SwSh.

My verdict is that both Nintendo and Niantic need to rework this a bit if they don't want to become bankrupt, or worse, bombed. Ideal solutions involve lowering the recharge price to at most 500 coins, and either greying out Pokémon who can't be sent to SwSh (such as Burmy) or just let them be traded anyway. Also, having a warning in GO that some of the Pokémon you're about to send over to HOME cannot be sent to Galar, and therefore becoming "untradeable dead slots", could help a lot.

I've heard that you need to be level 40 to transfer Pokemon. Is that true?
At the moment, yes. However, it's currently in a roll-out stage, and will soon be available for lower level players. Previous new features in GO's history had started with just Level 40 players during the first few hours/days.

They have added Go HOME transfers!

In the most anti-consumer way possible.
And ofc twitter is having fun attacking GF for it:bulbaFacepalm:

I can confirm that GO-based Pokémon can be traded in SwSh. I've managed to Surprise Trade a GO Absol just ten minutes ago for a Lopunny. I guess when it comes to transfers for now on, I'll only transfer what is in the Galar's dex (as well as IOA and CT). At least all dexes are filled, and I'm only missing Zarude and Glastrier in HOME.

UPDATE: GO Pokémon can also be traded in HOME, but only if they're in SwSh as of CT. I was able to put up a Driftloon and Spiritomb for trade in the GTS, but still cannot trade Burmy. Also applies to an Aron in the Wonder Box.

Last edited:
I haven't been the happiest with Niantic lately, but have kept mostly quiet about my issues with them. But this, this is just the worst offense yet (I know TPC also might have had some say, but based on Niantic's recent decisions to lock things behind a paywall, I am going to assume these ridiculous chargers are mostly on their part). I knew there was going to be a wait the time that could be skipped, but I was thinking maybe a few days and a hundred or 200 Pokecoins at once. A whole week or 1000 Pokecoins?! That is just ridiculous!

I am really hoping they respond to this and fix it because that is just excessive and greedy. So many people have spent hours and hours, and a ton of money already gong for some of those Pokemon. Buying Prenium Raid passes over and over again to hunt for shiny legendaries is not cheap. And then to make it cost that much more if you don't want to wait for an unbelievably long-time is disgusting.

I won't be spending a dime on it. I luckily don't have much I need to transfer and can wait for the stuff I want to, but still, this is just gross.

The TPC definitely had a major say on the GO to HOME paywalls and is largely to blame. To paraphrase the Pokemon Company's Wikipedia page, "TPC is solely responsible for overseeing the production and licensing of Pokémon mobile games,". If Niantic did something that the TPC really didn't like, the TPC could revoke Niantic's privileges to use the Pokemon license (I'm sure it's more complicated than that but that's TL: DR of it). While Niantic, presumably, has a lot of freedom in how they design GO and monetize it, they would have to get TPC's approval before moving forward with any major changes. Conversely, if the TPC wanted Niantic to make a specific change to Go, Niantic would probably have to make said change or offer a suitable alternative.

It's difficult to tell what level of influence the TPC had on each individual greedy practice you listed, but I'd imagine they have a greater influence on the specifics of the Go to Home transfer process, considering it affects many different aspects of the Pokemon brand (GO, the main series games, and Pokemon HOME).

Besides, the franchise has been subject to a fair bit of bad/red flaggy practices in recent years. Pokemon Home, is essentially paying to keep your Pokemon trapped in a cloud service until Game Freak decides to add them to a game/region. Main Series games are being rushed through development to meet the annual release quota for the Pokemon brand. And there have been about 10 different Pokemon games that have been released or are going to be released with a free-to-play model since 2015, included one that is being developed by an infamous Chinese gaming company. As sad as it is for me to say, implementing an awful wait period/payment doesn't seem too out of character for the TPC's recent decisions.

The TPC definitely had a major say on the GO to HOME paywalls and is largely to blame. To paraphrase the Pokemon Company's Wikipedia page, "TPC is solely responsible for overseeing the production and licensing of Pokémon mobile games,". If Niantic did something that the TPC really didn't like, the TPC could revoke Niantic's privileges to use the Pokemon license (I'm sure it's more complicated than that but that's TL: DR of it). While Niantic, presumably, has a lot of freedom in how they design GO and monetize it, they would have to get TPC's approval before moving forward with any major changes. Conversely, if the TPC wanted Niantic to make a specific change to Go, Niantic would probably have to make said change or offer a suitable alternative.

It's difficult to tell what level of influence the TPC had on each individual greedy practice you listed, but I'd imagine they have a greater influence on the specifics of the Go to Home transfer process, considering it affects many different aspects of the Pokemon brand (GO, the main series games, and Pokemon HOME).

Besides, the franchise has been subject to a fair bit of bad/red flaggy practices in recent years. Pokemon Home, is essentially paying to keep your Pokemon trapped in a cloud service until Game Freak decides to add them to a game/region. Main Series games are being rushed through development to meet the annual release quota for the Pokemon brand. And there have been about 10 different Pokemon games that have been released or are going to be released with a free-to-play model since 2015, included one that is being developed by an infamous Chinese gaming company. As sad as it is for me to say, implementing an awful wait period/payment doesn't seem too out of character for the TPC's recent decisions.

Feels like the TPC and maybe Nintendo, in general, is trying to catch up to Sony and Microsoft in terms of seeing how much content they can cut and then charge for it later and while some I don't mind like DLC, stuff like the GO to HOME transfer charge and cooldown period seems really scummy to me.

On its own, I don't think this setup is that bad, though it is incredibly tedious. The energy cooldown is firmly in the realm of the DS era transfers which were always much more of a hassle than they needed to be, so resurrecting that sort of mechanic here just makes it feel archaic, especially when there's not a cooldown (nor any scaling costs) on how many Pokémon you can send from GO to Let's Go. The only rule there is that you can't send Mew (or any Shadow/Purified Pokémon or Galarian Forms since those were introduced after Let's Go). It's like... they already had a tried and tested way for this to work. Why walk that back?

What gets me is the pay-to-skip-cooldown element, more specifically in relation to the cooldown duration. If someone has a lot of Shiny Legendaries that they want to send over, they'll be waiting literal months to dripfeed them into HOME, which really pressures them into paying money* to speed up the process since transferring just one Shiny Legenedary depletes the entire energy reserve.

* And yes, you can earn Poké Coins for free in GO, but not very efficiently. If you started from 0, then in order to get the 1000 coins needed to fully recharge the transfer mechanism, you'd need to have someone defeat a Gym that your Pokémon has been defending for at least 8 hours and 20 minutes... every day, for 20 days straight. Setting aside how unfeasible this is in places that are either very remote (meaning that there's not a reliable way to have your Pokémon knocked out from Gyms) or very populated (where Gyms can become very competitive and it becomes hard to maintain that 8-and-a-half-hour hold), it only takes a week to for the mechanism to recharge naturally, which kinda defeats the whole point of accumulating those Coins. This is not designed with F2P players in mind at all.

I don’t really understand how people are pointing fingers at any one entity without much evidence. We really don’t know if it was Niantic, TPC, Nintendo, or which combination of the three is responsible for the decision or even why the decision was made. I just hope they walk it back or at the very least diminish it.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom