• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/pocketmonster/news/index.html#231991

"In April 2023, a new dream and adventure with the whole Pokemon World as its stage shall begin."

GOD NO!!!!!! Anipoke, haven't you learned anything from JN's treatment of Galar?!

Also, I see that we're going with the dual protagonist tagline again... Liko seems to be an expy of Ash, what with her hair clip that's reminiscent of his original hat; does that mean Roy is meant to be an expy of Goh?

I have no idea what the future will be like dub wise and especially if the New York VA's will stay or not (I kinda hope so since they could still voice the Pokémon and any new characters) but whatever happens, I am going to miss you a lot voicing Ash. Thanks for playing a big part of my childhood Sarah.

Let's be honest, the anime will be all but dead after this. No one in the west gives a flying toss about the anime if Ash (brock or misty) and Team Rocket are not involved. And the same goes for Japan. There is a reason why Dragon Ball clings to Goku for dear life, because replacing a mainstay will not work. To be honest, i don't think the anime would ever be canceled, so i believe this new series will die within a year or two, and there will be a reboot. Sorry, but you had a chance to take Ash from the series back in 2002. You didn't take it, and you sure as hell can't do it now.

I was. Not expecting that. Like ever? Holy fucking hell that's really just. Holy shit.

I'm genuinely shook. It's understandable, I guess, considering he's the world champion now? But like, it's just absolutely wild to imagine that Ash will just. Not be the protagonist anymore? I'm hoping he's still like a smaller supporting character in the new series; I've grown really attached to his character over the years and it would just feel so wrong for him to be gone entirely.

We don't know much about the next series yet, hopefully we learn more soon but for now the most I can really say is that I think the new protagonists both have very nice designs and I'm glad we're going to have a girl in the main cast, potentially even as the main protagonist based on how they're positioned in the main promotional image, after Pokemon Journeys being so lacking in that regard.

Whilst sad to see Ash go, it will be good to see the anime start a fresh without having to make Ash dumber like he was in BW
The problem is you cannot possibly give 25 years of closure in 11 episodes. So while the eventual dumbing down of Ash is avoided, you end up with something worse. A character that everyone grew up with given an inadequate ending.

The two new protagonists do have pretty nice designs. After a series with no prominent female protagonist also, its nice to see one again. We'll have to wait a month or two to probably get to know more about them really from official promotional material. I just hope neither just simply catch Pokemon like Goh did and we'll get to watch thier party members grow similarly to Pokemon on the main cast prior to Journeys grew. Here's to hoping Riko and Roy will be enjoyable characters worth following over the course of Gen 9.

Let's be honest, the anime will be all but dead after this. No one in the west gives a flying toss about the anime if Ash (brock or misty) and Team Rocket are not involved. And the same goes for Japan. There is a reason why Dragon Ball clings to Goku for dear life, because replacing a mainstay will not work. To be honest, i don't think the anime would ever be canceled, so i believe this new series will die within a year or two, and there will be a reboot. Sorry, but you had a chance to take Ash from the series back in 2002. You didn't take it, and you sure as hell can't do it now.
It's a good thing the anime is for children and not adult western fans

It's a good thing the anime is for children and not adult western fans
Considering the age demographics that play Pokemon, you're actually wrong. Likwsise, just because the anime has a target audience, it doesn't mean the show is entirely designed for said audience. Do you think an 8 year old would understand Ash calling back infernape? Also, try and find me an anime that has succeeded after replacing a mainstay. Also, considering Japan's aging demographic, it isn't entirely wise for an anime to be entirely dedicated to a single market anymore - especially in a market such as Japan.

Last edited:
My thoughts: Who cares? I won't give this new series or these new characters an single bit of care, cause I'm still pi**** with how royally the anipoke writers screwed up Ash's last season.

Considering the age demographics that play Pokemon, you're actually wrong. Likwsise, just because the anime has a target audience, it doesn't mean the show is entirely designed for said audience. Do you think an 8 year old would understand Ash calling back infernape? Also, try and find me an anime that has succeeded after replacing a mainstay.
Well, Yu-Gi-Oh, first of all, but second of all, the intellectual property is Pokemon, not Ash and Pikachu - the anime has always been driven more by the creatures themselves than by character development of any depth, so it's silly to assume out of hand that it cannot be successful without one specific character at its head.

The problem is you cannot possibly give 25 years of closure in 11 episodes. So while the eventual dumbing down of Ash is avoided, you end up with something worse. A character that everyone grew up with given an inadequate ending.

He won the world championship, he has reached ultimate highs and is probably at his peak. That's the culmination of his 25 year long arc.

They are literally giving him a 3 month long farewell arc, how is that not enough and how are you so sure it'd be inadequate.

Not gonna lie, this makes the writers’ decision to not make use of the reserves all the more worse. If they were planning to retire Ash, it would’ve been all the better to give the Pokémon he’s caught over the 25 years one last hurrah. Really they should have gone big rather than treating the team format like any other series.

Not gonna lie, this makes the writers’ decision to not make use of the reserves all the more worse. If they were planning to retire Ash, it would’ve been all the better to give the Pokémon he’s caught over the 25 years one last hurrah. Really they should have gone big rather than treating the team format like any other series.
It seems that the last 11 episodes would be him reuniting with all of his Pokémon. And I do mean all of them.

My thoughts: Who cares? I won't give this new series or these new characters an single bit of care, cause I'm still pi**** with how royally the anipoke writers screwed up Ash's last season.
I think this series has respected Ash's growth as a Trainer. He finally reached the pinnacle of Trainerhood.

Back
Top Bottom