• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

So, independent of the whole “Riko is Ash’s daughter” theory and whether or not Riko and Roy go through the different paths in Paldea, what kind of story do you want to see from the new series?

So, independent of the whole “Riko is Ash’s daughter” theory and whether or not Riko and Roy go through the different paths in Paldea, what kind of story do you want to see from the new series?
I want as much overarching plot as possible with the least amount of episodic episodes.

Depending on the way that they produce the anime, be it seasonal or continuous, I’d love to see them go more tightly focused story rather than simply episodic like Journeys did. Maybe they could even have that the 2 protagonists aren’t always together, giving them focus on their own and those they meet with them traveling together semi-regularly.

I want as much overarching plot as possible with the least amount of episodic episodes.
I feel like this might be a bit too much to expect for a children's anime whose purpose is to advertise a video game and its associated creatures. Not to say it's impossible, but it doesn't feel likely with the demo they're targeting.

The fact that they're tied to the Paldean starters and not some franchise mascot like Pikachu or Eevee kinda gives me the idea that Liko and Roy might not continue onto Gen X. I am willing to give them a chance for the new series for sure.
Especially because, as I mentioned previously, making another perma-mc would just make nearly all the problems Ash had as the mc just repeat themselves over and over again.

A fresh start with new characters that are allowed to leave after their series are finished, to me, sounds like the gas the anime was lacking to take itself out of the mud.

Especially because, as I mentioned previously, making another perma-mc would just make nearly all the problems Ash had as the mc just repeat themselves over and over again.

A fresh start with new characters that are allowed to leave after their series are finished, to me, sounds like the gas the anime was lacking to take itself out of the mud.
I’d say that if they did that that they’d have to have some kind of spin on that a la Pokémon Adventures where previous protagonists return every so often to cross over with the newcomers since, while it wouldn’t have the MC going through the same loop, it would end up making the protagonists seem disposable and have the audience basically watch the same beats over and over again but with a new coat of paint every new region. Like, while Ash would start anew when going to a new region, he’d retain his accumulated skill (BW aside) rather than have to go through the same growing pains again.

I think that at this point it’s pretty much confirmed that Riko and Roy won’t be staying around after this new series is over.

They have the Paldean starters as their partners. If they were staying around they would have gotten Gen 1 Pokémon as their partners like Pikachu and Eevee.
Yeah, but it's still too early to really guess anything. Don't forget, something like this has never happened before. We'll all just have to wait and see.

My one hope for the new series is to take its time visiting regions and have Liko and Roy spend a few episodes there.

Where Journeys went wrong with its world tour was that it never felt like a tour at any point. Ash and Goh would visit a region, do a thing, then immediately pop back to base as if plane/boat rides aren't a thing, making everything feel far closer together than it actually was. Which region they were visiting was basically a dice roll. One week they'd be in Johto then the next they'd be in Galar and the next in Unova, and so on. Eventually, you'd stop keeping track and realise the location doesn't really matter because it wasn't playing a significant role in the story.

Pokemon's usually quite good at exploring a region's traditions and cultures, so a return to that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I’d say that if they did that that they’d have to have some kind of spin on that a la Pokémon Adventures where previous protagonists return every so often to cross over with the newcomers since, while it wouldn’t have the MC going through the same loop, it would end up making the protagonists seem disposable and have the audience basically watch the same beats over and over again but with a new coat of paint every new region. Like, while Ash would start anew when going to a new region, he’d retain his accumulated skill (BW aside) rather than have to go through the same growing pains again.

It depends on the story they create for the new protagonists each season.

There are good amount of stories that change protagonist every new season and they don't repeat the same beats for the characters.

Even if every new protagonist start the story getting a regional starter, not everyone will have the same growing pains. In fact, Pokemon Adventure manga is a good example of that.

PS: Super Sentai has more than 40 years. There are crossovers in specials or movies, but every TV season depends exclusively on the new team.

It depends on the story they create for the new protagonists each season.

There are good amount of stories that change protagonist every new season and they don't repeat the same beats for the characters.

Even if every new protagonist start the story getting a regional starter, not everyone will have the same growing pains. In fact, Pokemon Adventure manga is a good example of that.

PS: Super Sentai has more than 40 years. There are crossovers in specials or movies, but every TV season depends exclusively on the new team.
I don’t think that Super Sentai can really be compared to this considering that not only are they basically a yearly series but each setting varies immensely from the last going along with the theme of the team. We can’t really say the same with Pokémon when refreshing the cast.

Plus while Adventure does have new protagonists each region, they also make it a thing that not all of them follow a path that can even be done within the games. Plus with how often Padt Pokédex holders return, there’s never a feeling of them being disposable after their region’s story.

I think that at this point it’s pretty much confirmed that Riko and Roy won’t be staying around after this new series is over.
While I agree that is most likely going to be the case, I don't think it's fair to say that it's basically confirmed. Giving them the Paldea starters as their first partners basically locks them into this generation, but we're still in really new territory and the new series will most likely last for three years to cover the whole generation. It's a bit too early to speculate on Riko ad Roy leaving when they haven't technically arrived yet.

While I agree that is most likely going to be the case, I don't think it's fair to say that it's basically confirmed. Giving them the Paldea starters as their first partners basically locks them into this generation, but we're still in really new territory and the new series will most likely last for three years to cover the whole generation. It's a bit too early to speculate on Riko ad Roy leaving when they haven't technically arrived yet.
Technically it will last less because the anime is not launching alongside the games, unless Gen 9 is a four year gen and we don't get Gen 10 until 2026.

They have the Paldean starters as their partners. If they were staying around they would have gotten Gen 1 Pokémon as their partners like Pikachu and Eevee.

Yes... but Roy has 2 and Riko has one... so what they technically can do is have them for 2 generations, where Riko gets Gen 10's Fire and Water, where Roy gets Grass. This way... they don't matter typing wise on the cast.

I don’t think that Super Sentai can really be compared to this considering that not only are they basically a yearly series but each setting varies immensely from the last going along with the theme of the team. We can’t really say the same with Pokémon when refreshing the cast.
Well, we don't even know if Liko and Roy will be three years. It's always possible they change protagonists each year.

After all, Gamefreak is releasing new games each year (which isn't good).

Plus while Adventure does have new protagonists each region, they also make it a thing that not all of them follow a path that can even be done within the games.
Plus with how often Padt Pokédex holders return, there’s never a feeling of them being disposable after their region’s story.
To be fair, the anime doesn't have to follow the path done within the games either.

In fact, I doubt the story of Liko and Roy will follow the S/V games even if they have the Paldea starters. The way they are getting the starters seems to be pretty different (since they seem to choose between all the starters).

Honestly, I think people underestimate the many different directions the story can take by changing protagonists every season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom