• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Boarding schools away from home are also popular in anime focused on girls.

Riko's VA will sing the ending theme.
and maybe Roys VA too? Not sure

I think I saw the most important things from the deep dive. While there are some things I wish we could have seen, I'm very pleased by what they revealed that I didn't expect. The short 2 minute preview for the first episode was great. Horizons looks beautiful already and I am beyond hyped. Next week can't come soon enough, but at least FINALLY the wait is over. I can't wait to start Liko and Roy's adventure.

I also think the element of having different subtitles for the series will be interesting. I'm guessing it could also lead into arcs, maybe some based around particular regions or activities. I'm also excited to hear the ending sung by Liko and Roy. Heart pounding diary is a bop, I'm hoping the ending is as well.

There's a few things I've noticed right off the bat from the preview.

• It seems Liko will be the shy, introverted type. Probably socially awkward. Very different from Ash right away.
  • The preview shows us Pawmi, Finizen, and Quaxly. We know we'll get Sprigatito, Fuecoco, and very likely Ceruledge pretty early on. Already we've seen more Paldean Pokemon early on than we saw Galar's Pokemon in Journeys. Already doing better with the starters also.
  • It seems like Nidothing actually has Quaxly. What does this mean for Quaxly? We know Sprigatito is Liko's starter and Fuecoco is Roy's starter.

I thought that the preview was fine. I liked seeing various different Pokemon right off the bat, including some Paldea Pokemon. Hopefully that is a good sign in regards to Horizons showcasing more new Pokemon than Journeys did. I think calling Liko an introvert is a bit of an exaggeration, at least based on the scene here. Sure, she's shy and that does make her different from Ash, which is fine, but calling her introverted based on this just doesn't make sense to me. It came off as more typical shyness from being the new kid or being away from home instead of what is more typical introvert behavior. That being said, Liko thinking that someone was waving to her only to realize that they were looking at someone behind them instead was still a painfully relatable moment. I too remember being a shy elementary school kid. It was not fun to put it lightly.

Nidothing having Quaxly does make me wonder if either she'll become a proper main character down the road or they'll have a different Quaxly joining the cast instead. Liko being happy or excited to see Kanto Pokemon is understandable from an in-universe point of view since she probably hasn't left Paldea before. As someone who is tired of Kanto pandering, seeing the amount of first generation Pokemon after they had shown Pokemon from various generation earlier was rather boring.

This was translated by Dephender (in Serebii):

New information on the new series of the popular anime Pocket Monsters (airs on the TV Tokyo Network every Friday at 6:55pm, officially abbreviated "Anipoke"), which will be broadcast starting with a 1 hour special on April 14th, has been revealed. The ending theme will be a rap sung by Liko (voiced by Minori Suzuki) and Roy (voiced by Yuka Terasaki), while the lyrics will be written by Ryogo Matsumaru, who's acting as the song's creative producer.

The new series will have subtitles that reflect the story, with the first such subtitle being "Liko and Roy Set Off". In addition, we've received new profiles for the dual protagonists, which reveal that Liko, the girl, is a student.

"Liko and Roy Set Off" will depict the two protagonists, a girl named Liko and a boy named Roy, setting off for the mysterious and vast world of Pocket Monsters.

After enrolling in Sekiei Academy, a boarding school in the Kanto region, and having her fateful encounter with Nyahoja, Liko has been enjoying her schooldays despite the fickle and idiosyncratic Nyahoja having her wrapped around its fingers. But then one day she gets dragged into a commotion over the pendant she got from her grandmother...? What could the secret of this pendant be?!

We've also learned the title of the first episode and received some new pictures from it. The episode is called "The Pendant It All Started With", and involves Liko, a Paldean girl enrolled at Sekiei Academy, a boarding school in the Kanto region. She's delighted to receive her first Pokémon Nyahoja, but Nyahoja doesn't listen to her at all, and she struggles to bond with it... Meanwhile, a suspicious group of people show up in search of her, wanting the mysterious pendant she has.

We've also received detailed profiles of the protagonist duo. Liko is a very shy girl with lots of internal thoughts who takes a step forward towards adventure in order to find a dream, while Roy is a passionate and outgoing boy that grew up on a remote island in the Kanto region and who dreams of becoming an adventurer that challenges the Pokémon from the legends.

Last edited:
Could it be that Liko transferred school because she was bullied by kids at school in Paladea? she's a weird kid.

• The subtitles part is interesting. I think that after 5-6 episodes it will change to something mentioning the world tour and that in the far future there will be one about "Arven and the secret of Area Zero".
  • Nice to have news about the ending and that it will finally be human-based. Not a complete fan of the rap idea though.
  • My babies Finizen and Galarian Darmanitan. :bulbaLove:
  • The pacing is more laid back than how Pokemon usually is, but if that helps showing the characters' internal minds I'm all for it.
  • The animation looks fine, but a bit rough on some parts. The girl with red hair looks weird at times and Onix and Fearow are stills moving instead of being fully animated.

The fact that Liko is nervous gives her more dimension to her character. It makes her feel more realistic instead of this character who has a heart of true and is blind to well, lots of stuff that normal people wouldn’t.

It does take away some of the charm from the Pokémon anime but I think we’ve had enough of that by now.

I find it interesting how they introduce her. We don’t really know exactly where she’s from or who she knows. It’s not a bad thing but it’ll be interesting to find out as the story progresses.

I really liked all the Pokémon flying around and found the Machop carrying Liko’s luggage to be cute. The Onix animation was not good. It looked like it was a prop being moved across the stage. It really sort of takes you out of the fact that this is a fictional world. Though, I guess that’s what you get when you’re getting an episode a week in a series like this. But we shouldn’t let that take away from the story because I personally feel like the animation just adds to the story. The story is just not what it could be. Dialogue and low quality/low effort images can sometimes tell a story just fine.

I thought that the preview was fine. I liked seeing various different Pokemon right off the bat, including some Paldea Pokemon. Hopefully that is a good sign in regards to Horizons showcasing more new Pokemon than Journeys did. I think calling Liko an introvert is a bit of an exaggeration, at least based on the scene here. Sure, she's shy and that does make her different from Ash, which is fine, but calling her introverted based on this just doesn't make sense to me. It came off as more typical shyness from being the new kid or being away from home instead of what is more typical introvert behavior. That being said, Liko thinking that someone was waving to her only to realize that they were looking at someone behind them instead was still a painfully relatable moment. I too remember being a shy elementary school kid. It was not fun to put it lightly.
People constantly confuse being shy and introverted. Especially on the internet. I was thinking the same thing. Liko isn't necessarily introverted. Just shy and a bit awkward.

Liko is shy and gentle and Roy is energetic and adventurous. They are completely different. It's very interesting because I feel that Roy will be about the only friend of Liko who will help her get stronger and open up. He will protect her like a brother. But it won't take long for Liko to gain confidence.

Iris becoming a champion, Gary wearing his HG/SS outfit, Lt. Surge having his LGPE outfit in the flashback, Misty wearing her LGPE jacket in the snowy episode...
Dawn's eye colour.

May appearing in her Pokémon Emerald outfit in DP season. Chloe wearing the ORAS contest dress in Pokémon Journeys.

We cannot forget the most relevant ones. :sneaky:

Back
Top Bottom