• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

I'm still a bit confused as to how people thought Brock was black or Indian or Hispanic or anything other than East Asian, he literally has the stereotypical eyes that in a more modern cartoon would probably be considered racist (Pokemon only gets away with that one because it is a franchise created by Asians and the characters of the original anime were likely meant to be interpreted as East Asian given how Kanto is based on a real part of Japan). I think probably that some fans project their own racial identity on human characters, this could explain the flame wars I see on Twitter about characters' skin colours being depicted "correctly" in fan art.
I thought he was black until I learned he was just a darker-skinned Japanese person, what a world. Now I know I was stupid when I was younger (which I probably already knew)
Oh, and it looks like Friede's Charizard has the dark tera type. How neat!
Oh cool!
I remember comments about Iris and Goh being black because of their darker skin tone, so this isn't really new. South Asian would make a lot more sense for Roy too.
I think Iris might be since Unova’s based on the US, while Goh’s a darker-skinned Japanese person.
Edit: Thanks for editing my response, kind moderator!

Last edited:
I think Iris might be since Unova’s based on the US, while Goh’s a darker-skinned Japanese person.
I don't think that makes sense for Iris. Kalos is based on France, but I don't see people call Serena, Clemont or Bonnie French. None of the SM characters are considered native Hawaiian due to Alola being based on Hawaii either. I don't think that Unova being based on the U.S. necessarily determines Iris' ethnicity.

So I finally saw the sneak peek for episode one and it was pretty good. Steve Blum's narrator voice was possibly a bit too deep for the typical World of Pokemon segment, but I can't blame them for wanting to go with a different narrator. Liko's voice is pretty good. Perhaps a bit deeper than I would have expected, but its good and fits pretty well.

While I haven't seen the whole first episode yet of course, I still don't understand why people call Liko introverted. She's clearly shy and awkward around people, especially when she's away from home for the first time, but that isn't the same thing as being introverted. Honestly, her whole struggling to find things to say and missing out on her chance while she's trying to find the words instantly made me think "Oh that's the autistic experience." Not that I think Liko is autistic or autistic coded necessarily, but rather that struggle with finding right word and missing the chance to jump into a conversation instantly made me think of my own experience as an autistic person, especially at that age, instead of being introverted. I remember being a ten year old autistic girl, even though I wasn't diagnosed until I was eleven. It was not fun.

Her whole internal monologue about not knowing herself felt a bit much to me. I remember being a ten year old girl too and relating pretty hard to the song Reflection from Mulan, so it is relatable. I'm sure it's probably going to tie in with her pendant and the mysteries behind it. It just might have come off as a bit too melodramatic when it isn't unusual for ten year olds to not know who they really are. This could be just my own mood right now affecting my interpretation or another sign that I am significantly older than the target demographic. Even back in SM when Lillie was saying she isn't a little kid anymore, I couldn't help but think to myself that she is ten. Most kids watching wouldn't have that kind of reaction.
The internet will never understand what an introvert really is lol

SO... is anyone else already getting excited for when our resident rapping granny shows up?

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 5.26.39 PM.png

I wonder how long until we get an "As Long As I'm With Hogator, etc" episode.
I know this is a joke, but I might suspect that Hogator will evolve in that episode. To be honest, that episode has to happen so all the starters can have an “As Long as I’m with” episode.

So I have some thoughts

1. I think Gibeon will be the kind of Villain that throws its followers under the bus at the last minute. I think Amethio is going to realize this and possibly turn on him.
2. I’m under the impression that Gibeon promised something to whoever gets him the pendant, which is why we haven’t seen the Explorers working all together.
3. I would like for the Rising Volt Tacklers to train and be ready in case the Explorers decide to mount a bigger attack. As it stands it seems only Friede is truly experienced in battle.
4. I wonder what other pokemon did the Ancient Hero had? If he had Paradox pokemon or Ultra beasts this could lead to explore some interesting locations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom