• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Pokemon Horizons OP1 - Becoming Me

Good opening. The song is a bit generic but it represents well the spirit of Dokimeki Diary in both rythm and lyrics. The editing is surprisingly better than usual and has good pacing, it's only flaw is how the logo covers the final group shot.

Yeah, I still don't think that this is a good dub opening. It just feels a bit too generic with its lyrics. I could easily see something like this fitting on Disney Channel and that isn't what I'd want out of the dub openings. I don't think it's the worst opening, but considering how more people are probably going to at least check out Horizons, it's rather disappointing. I wasn't expecting something huge or instantly iconic, but I thought that it would be a bit better than this.

This might have worked a bit better as an insert song during some huge scene for Liko or something like that instead. It still ties in with Liko's personality pretty well, but it just doesn't have the kind of energy and excitement I'd want from a Pokemon dub opening. It really needs a longer version and/or better lyrics to make it work better as an opening theme. I agree that the editing is better than what they normally do with the openings though.

Is the song even a good fit for the target audiences taste in music today?

I have a feeling we won’t be hearing a full/extended version of this opening. Just like all the other pokemon openings sung by Haven Paschall.

I'm very "meh" on this OP: I just feel so indifferent on it, it's just "there" IMO. Haven Paschall's singing is the best part of it, but the rhyming (when will TPCi in general cut this out, seems it's not just something JCC liked to do with their TRio alone constantly after all!) in the lyrics coupled with the short length makes it hard for me to truly love it, as well.

I think we've absolutely had much worse before (the DP Rap and Stand Tall are the worst English dub OPs in the franchise's History for me, period), but there's nothing that elicits any real emotion from me with this one.

It matches my thoughts on the overall Horizons English dub: better than where the dub has been since TPCi took over from 4Kids in Ash's Series, but not as good as where it was before the infamous switch and worse than their Origins dub- I'd rank it in the middle of the dubs to date in the franchise.

Probably hot take, but personally... this intro kinda blows. It just feels disjointed and not satisfying, the lyrics are kinda plain and generic. (and why do they rhyme?), especially with the "And trust me, it gets better" lyric. For an intro, Journeys did a lot better with their first intro. I think this is one case where outsourcing the intro song should have been done, which is what they did for the fuckin' banger intro for the Korean dub.

Probably hot take, but personally... this intro kinda blows. It just feels disjointed and not satisfying, the lyrics are kinda plain and generic. (and why do they rhyme?), especially with the "And trust me, it gets better" lyric. For an intro, Journeys did a lot better with their first intro. I think this is one case where outsourcing the intro song should have been done, which is what they did for the fuckin' banger intro for the Korean dub.
Wow don't all these pokemon dub theme songs rhyme, what an odd statement.

Wow don't all these pokemon dub theme songs rhyme, what an odd statement.
I think it's probably because the rhyming is so frequent in this one (it's like 4Kids TRio vs TPCi TRio in dialogue, the former rhymed occasionally but not every other line, to given analogy), to clarify.

I think it's probably because the rhyming is so frequent in this one (it's like 4Kids TRio vs TPCi TRio in dialogue, the former rhymed occasionally but not every other line, to given analogy), to clarify.
The first intro song literally rhymes the whole time.

I don't really mind the rhyming. It would probably be fine if the lyrics weren't so generic.
The one thing that's keeping this theme ahead of the DP Rap and Stand Tall for me (I personally cannot stand either) is that Haven Paschall has a beautiful singing voice, IMO, but that's about all I can give this dub OP tbh.

I really wish they'd make the OPs longer, though, that might have helped it: it just feels generic to me, in general.

I don't really mind the rhyming. It would probably be fine if the lyrics weren't so generic.
Exactly, that's the song's main problem: it's generic as all hell.
The one thing that's keeping this theme ahead of the DP Rap and Stand Tall for me (I personally cannot stand either) is that Haven Paschall has a beautiful singing voice, IMO, but that's about all I can give this dub OP tbh.
Damn right! Haven's got a beautiful singing voice, and just a beautiful voice in general. :giggle: (The fact that she's the one singing it is the song's only saving grace in my opinion too.)

Back
Top Bottom