• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon in 3D?

Axle Helios

Now with more cowbell.
Reaction score
If Gen V follows the pattern of every other generation, it will be on the new Nintendo handheld, the 3DS; if the 3DS follows the pattern of every handheld, it'll have the same processing power of a GameCube. Both of these point to one thing, Gen V will be in 3D. With the main feature of the 3DS being that it displays everything in movie-style 3D, why would Pokémon, often a handheld's flagship game, be in 2D? And while the GameCube may not have had particularly good graphics (compare Super Smash Bros. Melee to Brawl, and you immediately see the difference), Nintendo will almost certainly have found new ways to get better graphics with lower CPU power, and those graphics will almost certainly look better on a smaller screen.
So, will Gen V be in 3D, or stick to the 2D, top-down style of previous generations?

Gen 5 is already confirmed for DS due to the 3DS not coming until next year.

Okay, well do you think the 3DS' generation will be 3D?

(A Mod might wanna move this.)

it is impossible for it to come out this year it takes a very long time to work on the things.

I think TheKam1993 is referring to dev kits, but if it is playable in two months and available in less than a year, they've had these things for a long time already. It takes years to make a game, and for a system to HAVE games the games must be in development with the system.

That being said, it WAS confirmed to be on the DS, despite conspiracy theories that they lied to avoid leaking the 3DS. Unless they really did lie, which wouldn't make much sense, the most we can hope for is a new spinoff game or the third game in the 5th Gen main series on the 3Ds and therefore in 3D.

I wouldn't rule out a dual-mode cart that could be played with enhanced features on the new system, though. We'll have to see what the specs are like.

They said it would be playable at E3, which I think is in late May/early June.
No it will be at E3, most likely only a few select press will actually get their hands on it. If on the floor, most likely a prototype build will show up. Either way gen 5 on the 3DS is highly unlikely at this point, unless of course the games get delayed which is also highly unlikely as they are affecting the flow of the Anime and Manga, which are speeding up to get finished in time for gen 5. The 3DS is likely to arrive in Japan and then worldwide by the end of February or March, or if not then December/January the earliest, while the games are most likely to arrive with a September date as the last 4 years have done with the release of games.

Remember that movie that used to play at Disney World, "Muppets 3-D"? I imagine it'll be a lot like that.

Basically what I'm saying is Kermit the Frog is in the next game.

Remember that movie that used to play at Disney World, "Muppets 3-D"? I imagine it'll be a lot like that.

Basically what I'm saying is Kermit the Frog is in the next game.
Followed by Elmo the rabid fire type.

Obviously it's been announced that the first Gen V pair are for the DS, so I don't see a huge graphical improvement. Maybe graphics similar to Final Fantasy III DS? (Chibi 3D for battles and cutscenes, otherwise, it looks very 2D). Then maybe, once Pokémon shifts to the 3DS, we can get some sharper 3D, but they'd keep the general graphic style to keep the games similar.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom