• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon is getting fancier?

Corvair

pasta.
Reaction score
I've noticed that in pictures of episodes in the new season in Japan, they have been using CGI alot suddenly. What is the meaning of this change? Oh yeah, and did I mention that the Battle Arena episode will have big CGI flames?

Even worse, what if they make everything cel-shaded? They might really break with tradition now...:saiyan:

In a lot of cases, CGI is faster and cheaper to do than hand-drawn stuff. So I think it's just a case of the anime producers stretching their limited budget even further than they did in the past.

The dub has already seen some CGI. In the Advance Battle opening, Corphish lets out CGI bubbles, and of course the movies have used it as well. But just because they are being fancier, doesn't mean they are going cel-shaded.

Anyone who has seen the preview knows about the flames, which are actually real flames rather than CGI.

In other words it's getting cheaper. Why can't they be given a bigger budget to make episodes with? They have the money, Pokemon is still big in Japan.

Apparently, CGI looks better. They have the technology, so I suppose they want to make use of it. It does look good sometimes.

Anyway, faster and cheaper means more profits.

Hoenn looks good without CGI. In small doses, CGI is alright, but those flames or the new Sing attack really look bad.

Unregistered said:
In other words it's getting cheaper. Why can't they be given a bigger budget to make episodes with? They have the money, Pokemon is still big in Japan.

The show is making a ton of money despite the fact that it's one of the cheapest anime on the air today. Obviously, the show doesn't need a huge budget to get the ratings.

The show wouldn't attract a ton of new viewers if the animation quality went up, so from the perspective of the anime producers, there's no reason to spend more money on each episode.

I'd rather have CG than some of the horribly drawn older eps... after looking at older eps, it's amazing to see how ugly they are.
Horrible? You mean Kanto?! What are you crazy, that's like some of the series' best animation. And the bright, clear colors made it appealing to watch.
Honestly, I hate the way they're doing the clouds lately, they look so fake and.... just weird and out of place in the pretty background. I hope the fake clouds aren't staying. I soooo hope!

The digital animation of Hoenn looks much better than Kanto's animation. The battle scenes in Hoenn are much more exciting because the Pokemon actually look like they're moving.

CGI... I'm used to it for monster battles, though it will look different... Legendaries seem, just, right in CGI, and a few others do...(Rhydon, for some reason.)

It'll take some getting used to, I'm sure. And, like, Pikachu vs. random smallish pokemon will just seem odd in CGI. But I think the epic battles will look AWESOME.

Some CGI is OK, but I don't think they'll start doing it all in that style. It's kinda of weird to see random flames in the background, though.

I liked the stylized look that they had. Some of the Johto eps have very blobbly characters with thick lines.

nekusagi-chan said:
Just so long as they don't go all Beast Wars on us. (shudders)

Hey, hey, Beast Wars was awesome.

Of course, I'm not saying I want Pokemon to go completely 3D. It doesn't look good in 3D, as the console games prove. I'm sure it won't go that far, though.

The console games and the anime are different things. Besides, I think the 3D of the games looks good. Not that I want the anime like that.

Demon of Light said:
Hey, hey, Beast Wars was awesome.

Of course, I'm not saying I want Pokemon to go completely 3D. It doesn't look good in 3D, as the console games prove. I'm sure it won't go that far, though.
Oh, it was. But I'd hate to see that happen with Pokemon.
And Michael is hot...

MistyIRC said:
I'd rather have CG than some of the horribly drawn older eps... after looking at older eps, it's amazing to see how ugly they are.
Weird, I thought Kanto animation was one of the best.

About CGI being used on AG: So THAT'S why the new Japanese episodes look so sharp.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom