• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Journeys fails to make Netflix's Top 10 Animated Kids Programs for 2020

Truthfully, I'm not really surprised. For me, it's not even a matter of the show shifting to Netflix and having episodes drop in batches (even though I'm personally not crazy about that), I think it's just further proof that the anime isn't as popular as it used to be. I know plenty of kids who collect Pokémon cards and play the video games, but have no interest in the anime. And these are kids who pretty much exclusively watch Netflix, so that's not it.

As has been mentioned before (both in this thread and otherwise) nostalgia really does sell. None of my friends still actively watch the anime, but when Brock and Misty turned up in SM, they all lost their minds and tuned in specifically for those episodes. I won't be surprised if the same kind of bump happens if they and more older characters keep showing up in Journeys. These same people also watched Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution, which was the most watched anime movie on Netflix last year. But, just like the kids, I'd say most older Pokémon fans aren't tuning in for the anime all that much either.

That being said, these numbers do only cover US Netflix so it's a pretty small sample size considering how many countries air the show.

Also being beaten by Johnny Test of all shows....outch.

Kind of OT but I've just recently started seeing all the hate for Johnny Test and I'm so relieved it wasn't just me :LOL: Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, would make me change the channel faster as a kid than when Johnny Test came on.

That's bad, but I really don't think Netflix's Top 10 indicates the quality of a series, Journeys is by no means the best Pokémon series but I definitely consider it better than Johnny Test, Miraculous Ladybug and CGI Garfield. It's obvious that the majority of the audience of the shows in that ranking (with some exceptions) are small children, which would explain why series like PJ Masks and Cocomelon are so high. Pokémon's audience are usually old fans who tend to see the series through other mediums.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom