• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Pokémon Journeys Replaces Its Series Director

Claiming the show is doomed when we're not even at the halfway point seems a bit much. We don't even have context for anything.

I think the pressing issue here is staff changes. Not staff change. I might have jumped the gun, but going back to Best Wishes, a lot of staff were moved on because that show did underperform. If this is the only change, then it's probably something more personal. but if we start to see more changes in the future, then maybe there is more than meets the eye? Only time will tell.

On topic: hopefully the new writer will recognize that Ash actually exists and give him a fair share of episodes, if not the majority of them.

Last edited:
This is the first time a Series Director has been replaced in the middle of the show since Advanced Generation.

While that is true, it is worth noting that the replacement only occurred from AG169 onwards, which is near the end of the AG series.

Furthermore, it is also worth noting that, relatively speaking, Pokemon AG had the previous worst record for viewership ratings up till Pokemon SM, with only 41.9% of weeks (79 out of 190) making it into the Top 10 weekly anime viewership ranking.

(For context, the best record for a Pokemon series is 92.8% (154 out of 166 weeks) for Pokemon DP; and the second worst record was 58.2% for Pokemon SM, and yes, this is taking into account the viewership plummet after the timeslot change)

However, this all pales in comparison with Pokemon JN, which has a whopping 3.7% (2 out of 54) appearance rate in the Top 10 weekly anime viewership ranking, not to mention it has not yet appeared in the Top 10 since the timeslot change to Friday afternoon.

Finally, if we discount the timeslot change for Pokemon SM (because seriously, I shall forever maintain that it is one of the stupidest decisions made by TVTokyo/ Pokemon anime staff, and it has irreparably led to the decline of the Pokemon anime's prominence in the public eye, as I will show below), Pokemon AG had the previous record for longest string of episodes (AG072-AG085, 14 episodes) not in the Top 10, with another string of episode (AG158-AG167, 10 episodes) accomplishing the same feat shortly before the replacement of series director took place.

Meanwhile, if we only count the episodes which have taken place after the timeslot change to Friday for Pokemon JN, we have recently surpassed that with 15 consecutive episodes (JN040-JN054) not in the Top 10.

I do realize that these decisions are made months in advance before we even get viewership ratings, but I believe it is fair to say that viewership ratings probably matter more than what TVTokyo has claimed in the past.

I think we can all agree that TV ratings are not as important as what they used to be, and the same standards shared 15 years ago shouldn't be shared today. However, that doesn't make TV Ratings obsolete. Look at the top 10 from 2010, then look at the top 10 today. The ratings are lower for all the shows (barring detective Conan) but the list stayed the same. It's Pokemon that dropped out. While i'm sure it's puling in a lot of merchandise, what about the movies? Pokemon was in the top 10 every week during Diamond and Pearl, and the movies pulled between 40-55 Million at the box office. Now they struggle to do half of that. How is that good? If there are less eyes watching the show, then there will be less eyes on the movies. Does that not signify that the Pokemon Company should try and make the show more popular? So the movies can do better themselves? And the Pokemon Company have been trigger happy about falling ratings in the past. Case in point: Best Wishes. Numerous staff were ousted, Charizard returned, Kanto pandering. Case in point 2: Sun and Moon was created to win children back from Yokai Watch. If the Pokemon Company truly didn't care about ratings, they wouldn't have done any of that. And the movies wouldn't have such an undecided future. The fact is, no one here knows what are their expectations, but I personally agree with the poster above. I think ratings matter a little more than what most would like to believe. I apologize if this was off-topic, but I think it's important to talk about it a little considering the overall product is affected by how the show is performing.

Last edited:
So with the new director I think there still might be a chance for ash to get grookey . that means they might pull something unexpected I think thibk about it with the old director there was clickbait but with the new one not as much and we'll see if in right

I think we can all agree that TV ratings are not as important as what they used to be, and the same standards shared 15 years ago shouldn't be shared today. However, that doesn't make TV Ratings obsolete. Look at the top 10 from 2010, then look at the top 10 today. The ratings are lower for all the shows (barring detective Conan) but the list stayed the same. It's Pokemon that dropped out. While i'm sure it's puling in a lot of merchandise, what about the movies? Pokemon was in the top 10 every week during Diamond and Pearl, and the movies pulled between 40-55 Million at the box office. Now they struggle to do half of that. How is that good? If there are less eyes watching the show, then there will be less eyes on the movies. Does that not signify that the Pokemon Company should try and make the show more popular? So the movies can do better themselves? And the Pokemon Company have been trigger happy about falling ratings in the past. Case in point: Best Wishes. Numerous staff were ousted, Charizard returned, Kanto pandering. Case in point 2: Sun and Moon was created to win children back from Yokai Watch. If the Pokemon Company truly didn't care about ratings, they wouldn't have done any of that. And the movies wouldn't have such an undecided future. The fact is, no one here knows what are their expectations, but I personally agree with the poster above. I think ratings matter a little more than what most would like to believe. I apologize if this was off-topic, but I think it's important to talk about it a little considering the overall product is effected by how the show is performing.

This is basically my sentiment. While ratings have been dropping overall due to changes in demographics since Pokemon first aired, the mainstays for Top 10 weekly anime have actually not changed that much, with Sazae-San, Chibi-Maruko Chan, Crayon Shin-Chan, Doraemon, One Piece, and Detective Conan all staying in over the years, while Pokemon and Naruto/Boruto (both under TVTokyo) struggle to stay relevant in ratings.

And no, Pokemon changing series every few years should not be a reason for declining viewership ratings. Doraemon has changed series back in 2005 and remained popular, and I purposefully left out Pretty Cure in my list above to counter this argument. By now, Pretty Cure is a 17-year-old franchise which changes anime series every year, but yet it appears in the Top 10 weekly anime ratings more frequently than Pokemon in recent years.

Side note: Smile Precure, while pretty well received at the time, had points of criticism which has soured its reception since. This includes new characters which copied settings and personality traits of old characters, episodes which pay too much homage to episodes of previous series, a sudden change in series theme midway through the run, an episodic format which led to a disconnected main story, etc. As for why I'm pointing this out? The series coordinator for Smile Precure was Yonemura Shoji, the same person for Pokemon JN.

Please let the new director break the Gachat.
Does that mean Goh won't catch everything in sight, Chloe will appear more often, Ash wont be a cr*ppy comic reief character and the Gacha will explode?
Could everyone please stop wishing for an untimely demise for that vending machine? I personally have nothing against it.

Reactions and not focusing on Ash can be a problem.

But there may be a separation other than that.

If the reason is the reactions of the fans, more focus will be on Ash.

I'm hoping that something good potentially comes from the change in staff (though Maki did the best she could), the show really needs to get it's ass back in gear and go back to doing what it did best before the start of Journeys: making the show truly feel like a Pokémon adventure and not just characters messing around doing nothing for 22 minutes.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom