• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Journeys: Thoughts So Far

Well I didn’t think so (e.g. I quite enjoyed yesterday’s episode, looking forward to next week’s) but apparently my inner consciousness begs to differ...
I get that. They try something new, but there is little to no structure. One episode they battle Eternatus, suddenly Mewtwo and then Go catches Suicune. Satoshi ranks up offscreen (I hate that) and we havent seen Dragonite in action since ep 25 (30 ep ago). It are those little things that annoy me and it gets worse while the series progresses. One pokemon they dont focus on, the other gets overfocussed.

I’ve been trying really hard not to just give up on this series, but last night I had a dream truly expressing my subconscious feelings...

Don’t ask me how, but each Journey’s episode was an ICU patient, and the worse the episode the more intensive resuscitation it needed... (Some episodes were so bad they required referral to a tertiary centre for ECMO!) Suffice to say the unit was overflowing so much so that new ‘patients’ had to be admitted to make shift ICU areas in operating theatres and anaesthetic rooms...

I just felt SO EXHAUSTED in this dream :LOL::cry: Halp...
Oddly enough I had a JN dream a few weeks back--this is weird because I don't have anipoke dreams very much (last one I recall was shortly before the Kalos league, and the one before that was sometime during either AG or DP) but it was a little less morbid, though arguably no less telling of my inner thoughts:
Ash and Gou were in a double battle in some sort of tournament, though I don't recall most of the Pokémon involved and some of them were "fakemon" my mind came up with. Ash was using Snivy and one of the opponents was using Sawk, though.
During the battle Gou brought out a third Pokémon to shield an attack on their team, making it three on two, but this was allowed. Sawk KO'd Ash's Snivy and then Gou won the battle himself.

Though to be honest I've already more or less gave up after the translation from that interview with Shoji Yonemura so I'm afraid I can't help.

Last edited:
Based on the contrast between the last 2 episodes I think I've figured out what Journeys is trying to do. It's not just "all regions", it's "all genres" too. Adventure episodes, comedy episodes, battle episodes, slice of life episodes, they're trying to fit every kind of Pokemon episode into one series. It's doing a bit of everything at once without emphasizing anything in particular, which makes it feel less cohesive.

Last edited:
Tracker of What Percentage of Pokémon have appeared in the Journeys. 52% of Every Pokémon from Gen 1 up to Gen 8 have appeared.

I don’t see how this series can last for more than three years. Already more than 50% of the Pokémon have appeared. They are clearly planning for three years.

Tracker of What Percentage of Pokémon have appeared in the Journeys. 52% of Every Pokémon from Gen 1 up to Gen 8 have appeared.

I don’t see how this series can last for more than three years. Already more than 50% of the Pokémon have appeared. They are clearly planning for three years.

I’m not saying if it will or won’t last longer than 3 years, but this is a pretty poor argument for or against it either way.

For one thing “appearing” is not the same as being featured. For another, they could always appear a second time. Finally, they could extend the remaining species that haven’t debuted for as long as they want. This has never mattered before, and I doubt it will start now.

Journeys is in my opinion the worst series after Bw.

Bw was a step back. Ash's development was marred. Their starters are not developed.

Snivy is all wasted.

But in Journeys, Ash was completely in the background. In an anime for Ash, Ash was secondary.

Someone named Goh was brought to the fore. It is completely against the purpose of the animation of the anime.

The focus is on someone other than the main character.

Ash has no ties to any pokemon.

Ash has no wars.

Goh buys all the starters. Moreover, buys legend pokemon. It catches everything.

Bw and Journeys are the two worst series of the anime

Disagree. Journeys is the worst Pokemon media ever.

Looking at what will be having this week.....
Like I said; never thought I'll skip ever, but that's unbearable.

At least BW never had these idiot plots that need another to cover the timeslot.
And I never skipped anything there; got upset, yes.

At least BW never had these idiot plots that need another to cover the timeslot.
Tbh the Chewtle part looks decent.

Disagree. Journeys is the worst Pokemon media ever.

Definitely don't agree with this. Considering how broad the Pokémon media actually is, I really don't think Journeys is that bad. I mean, come on, Pokémon Live existed. Besides, there are definitely positives to the series; sometimes it's just easier to get lost in what's negative, especially when consistency is a pretty big issue with this series. You get a couple of bad or boring episodes in a row and everything just starts to feel like a letdown. So I totally get that.

Personally speaking, I honestly don't believe a series will ever disappoint me as much as XY. As inconsistent as Journeys has been, I am a fan of the continuity and lightheartedness; all things that are very important to me in a Pokémon series and that XY never delivered on. So no matter how this series ends up, I pretty much know it won't be my least favorite.

Yeah, I exaggerated a bit too much.
Still, we still have to deal with these stupid two-halves episodes.....

Nothing in Anipoke had made me this upset before than those.

Last edited:

We've had these "idiot plots" throughout the entirety of the anime lmao.

The only difference is that now they do them in half of an episode instead of a full one.

At least they were full episodes.
They can't find the way to make that from those silly prompts now. If they're really trying.....

The series is rather average, but these half-episodes trully stand out as horrible/mediocre.

As an Anime Critic, I've always told people that. Giving Episodes of a Series a score out of 10 and then averaging all the episodes of a series up at the end does not give a good reflection of a series' quality. Journeys is a prime example of it. On each episode, it is enjoyable, well-written but when you look at the Series Construction as a whole. We have some of Ash's Pokemon who don't appear for 20 Episodes straight, this is a major flaw, Ash himself receiving less focus than Goh, no sufficient Female Representation and PWC not even being treated like it matters, these are all Series Construction flaws. While it doesn't impact the enjoyability of an Episode it is still a flaw. And therefore when you consider this, Journeys is much below average (a 3 or 4/10 for the Series Construction as a whole).

I am usually not affected by any of the media and general opinions, that doesn't ruin a series for me.

I have been watching this series from very early after it came out, watched a few episodes, and got bored so I dropped it, then picked it back up later after the dub was being released. It's definitely not better than Sun and Moon from my perspective, but it very well could reach my standards to like it just as much. Overall, it's a decent series.

I’m not saying if it will or won’t last longer than 3 years, but this is a pretty poor argument for or against it either way.

For one thing “appearing” is not the same as being featured. For another, they could always appear a second time. Finally, they could extend the remaining species that haven’t debuted for as long as they want. This has never mattered before, and I doubt it will start now.
I mean, to his credit, between Go’s goal and the Gatchet, it does seem that the writers’ goal is to have all the Pokémon appear. Can’t really say that they care all that much about featuring them though considering that most of the Pokémon they have Go capture are only shown for a single s end before being essentially cast into limbo maybe appearing as a set piece occasionally at Sakuragi Park.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom