• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Journeys: Thoughts So Far

Anyone else notice that Ash’s Galar Pokémon really seem to be getting the short end of the stick this saga? Pikachu has been consistently used and has both a Z-Move and G-Max, Dragonite is a Titan in battle, Lucario has gotten Mega Evolution and even Gengar, who hasn’t been too hot, is getting G-Max. Meanwhile Dracovish barely has a presence even for how badly they’ve been at showing Ash’s Pokémon and Sirfetch’d seems to job all over the place and hasn’t gotten to shine since its evolution. Add that to the fact that, for the current Gen being 8 yet Ash only has 2 Pokémon of that Gen and it just hasn’t been a good showing.
If I had to take a guess, Dracovish was probably added to make Ash’s team appear more competitive to people who casually watch the show, who are also more into the fighting aspect/VGC. Like, it makes people who aren’t regulars think the show is interesting because of Ash being powerful. It’s just a bonus that Dracovish can also come across as comedy. At least that’s what it seems like, cause they certainly haven’t given it a fulfilling role.

Didn't like it so much. I loved Ash pokemons specially that he finally got all the types and had a mega evolution. I always want him yo have riolu and locario. Wanted him to have another electric pokemon. I love and enjoy chole and her family so much. But the seasons isn't that good so much

Dracovish was such a random capture tbh, but it does suit Ash personality wise. I don't think he'll get any substantial development though, he doesn't seem as battle-driven as the rest of his team.

Compared to a lot of the other Galar pokemon there wasn't much else to give Ash since they decided not to give him Corviknight.
Still so angry about that

The one Generation where I actually wanted Ash to get the Regional Bird and he doesn't get it smh :bulbaFacepalm:

Corviknight gives me the impression of a rivals pokemon than Ash. With Dragonite being used as the resident flyer this gen too it just wasn't needed I guess.

Corviknight gives me the impression of a rivals pokemon than Ash. With Dragonite being used as the resident flyer this gen too it just wasn't needed I guess.
Wouldn’t be the first time he got multiple flying types. Just look at Kanto, Sinnoh and Kalos. Besides, with 2 fighting types and dragon types on his team, the writers definitely don’t care about redundancy.

In reality i want this seasob to finish ao quickly. Hoped for shield sword season

Flying type is really the ONLY type that had been a consistent on every single one of Ash's Teams across every Generation

Kanto - Pidgeotto
Johto - Noctowl
Hoenn - Swellow
Sinnoh - Staraptor
Unova - Unfezant
Kalos - Talonflame, Hawlucha AND Noivern
Alola - Rowlet
JN - Dragonite

That is true. Of the four most common types ash has caught, Flying is the only one he constantly had since Grass has been absent in both XY and Jn, water was absent in SM, and Fire is currently absent in JN. And that last one really sucks because Sword and Shield indroduced one of my favorite Fire type Pokemon Coalossal.

Flying type is really the ONLY type that had been a consistent on every single one of Ash's Teams across every Generation

Kanto - Pidgeotto
Johto - Noctowl
Hoenn - Swellow
Sinnoh - Staraptor
Unova - Unfezant
Alola - Rowlet
JN - Dragonite
Don’t forget Charizard.

Kanto - Pidgeotto
Johto - Noctowl
Hoenn - Swellow
Sinnoh - Staraptor
Unova - Unfezant
Alola - Rowlet
JN - Dragonite
Meanwhile Gliscor crying in a corner

Kanto - Pidgeotto
Johto - Noctowl
Hoenn - Swellow
Sinnoh - Staraptor
Unova - Unfezant
Alola - Rowlet
JN - Dragonite
This was due to the fact that up until Kalos, since they broke the trend in Alola, Ash always captured the regional bird for himself. So this pretty much guaranteed a Flying type was gonna be part of his team.

I think it was also because 1) Regional birds tend to be pretty popular on their own rights; 2) It was either his first capture or at least one of the firsts whenever he went to a new region, to echo how these guys can be found pretty early on the beginning routes and how most people do capture them as their first captured Pokémon most of the time; and ultimately cuz 3) Having a Pokémon that can fly is pretty useful for anyone and the writers can do a significant amount of stuff with it both narratively and in battles because of their innate flying abilities, or at least theoretically, since we know how Pidgeotto, Noctowl and especially Unfezant turned out, that is.

I also believe they broke the trend in Alola after giving him Rowlet and realizing that it was already was a Flying type to begin with and they didn't want to redundant, the same case with Dragonite. I also have a small theory/hunch that they realized what they did in Kalos and are doing their absolute best to not repeat it again.

I'm still not sure if the writer care about being any type being redundant. Ash's Journeys team still has two Dragon types and two Fighting types. I don't know if they'd really care about giving him multiple Flying types, especially when Dragonite isn't really used like the traditional Flying type team member either. At least Rowlet was used to search through the air and was much more popular than the Pikipek line was.

Even Ash's flying types in Kalos were completely different. Like Talonflame and Hawlucha. One is a bird, the other one is a wrestler. They had different battle styles and attributes, to the point where Hawlucha didn't feel like much of a flying type at all (he didn't even have flying stab). So they weren't redundant at all imo. Noivern did overlap a bit with Talonflame, but still differentiated itself with its echolocation + ranged attacks at least. But I'll admit he felt kinda repetitive, especially after Goodra was brought back (since Goodra shared its type and being the ranged attacker). Given how late this happened though, I wasn't too bothered by it.

Redundancy doesn't come from types, but attributes. How the pokemon moves, fights and even behaves in battle. Like I'm glad Ash never caught Pikipek, because he's already got a bird pokemon. Even if they both hypothetically evolved, Decidueye and Toucanon would feel pretty redundant imo despite not sharing types. It's why I also don't have a problem with Ash's journeys team, because the pokemon do differentiate themselves when they get the chance.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom