• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Sorry to bring this up, but I think Cyndaquil will keep its flame only during battles and maybe when you choose it (which is better than what we had before anyway).
20210901_094320.jpg

Well maybe "butchered" was a bit overdramatic, but I mean come on obviously you've seen Typhlosion's sprite post gen 5 right? He's just so derpy now wheras before he was dynamic and cool.

Typhlosion doesn't have any sprites after Gen 5, though? Aside from the tiny menu sprites, I think. Are you talking about its model? Because the model looks fine- it doesn't have its flames out constantly, but it's not supposed to, and at least its face doesn't look as bad as most of its sprites did.

Still, it's cool if they are making the line show off their flames more in battle. It'd make sense if they're not wandering around with them out, for safety's sake, but battles should be pretty heated.

Typhlosion doesn't have any sprites after Gen 5, though? Aside from the tiny menu sprites, I think. Are you talking about its model? Because the model looks fine- it doesn't have its flames out constantly, but it's not supposed to, and at least its face doesn't look as bad as most of its sprites did.

Still, it's cool if they are making the line show off their flames more in battle. It'd make sense if they're not wandering around with them out, for safety's sake, but battles should be pretty heated.
Yes, I did mean the in-game-model. My bad. I don't know, I guess I just thought Typhlosion and its pre-evolved forms looked cooler with the flames out in battle constantly, it just kinda added to their appearance, I guess. Oddly, I never minded it so much in the anime, or even in Colosseum or XD, and really, I guess it's not that a big of a deal. I don't really care that much to get worked up over it. And actually, I don't even think I used Typhlosion and the rest that much in the 3d handhelds anyway, just once in Moon I think, so I'm honestly just going on what I've seen of it and what other people have said.

Last edited:
I mean, I get that it’s a bit different from the others, but it’s not like it makes sense for the other fire Mons to keep the flames on all the time.

Still, they should’ve programmed to have them on more then they were in the past. Hopefully in PLA the on/off situations are more balanced.

As per their Pokédex entries, the Cyndaquil family aren't supposed to have their flames active at all times - the flames only come up when they're in battle or when they feel threatened or excited, so the approach that this game is taking is the ideal for communicating the family's design concept. The problem with the 3D model in previous games was mainly just that you only ever saw the flames during very brief attacking animations, when really it should have always worked more like Xerneas's Neutral/Active Modes or BW Kyurem's overdrive states - one for when they're in battle, and one for when they're not. Though I still think the fact that the flames are (even in this game) very obviously just cartoonish 2D zigzag lines doesn't look particularly good - most, if not all, other Fire-types with flame elements use 3D flames, and it always looks a lot more organic.

Last edited:
As per their Pokédex entries, the Cyndaquil family aren't supposed to have their flames active at all times - the flames only come up when they're in battle or when they feel threatened or excited, so the approach that this game is taking is the ideal for communicating the family's design concept. The problem with the 3D model in previous games was mainly just that you only ever saw the flames during very brief attacking animations, when really it should have always worked more like Xerneas's Neutral/Active Modes or BW Kyurem's overdrive states - one for when they're in battle, and one for when they're not. Though I still think the fact that the flames are (even in this game) very obviously just cartoonish 2D zigzag lines doesn't look particularly good - most, if not all, other Fire-types with flame elements use 3D flames, and it always looks a lot more organic.

I think the issue there is that cyndaquil's flames aren't really of a natural shape... they could probably do better, but I think it might be a bit difficult to take what had always been kind of an unnatural and cartoony style of fire and make it look organic.

As per their Pokédex entries, the Cyndaquil family aren't supposed to have their flames active at all times - the flames only come up when they're in battle or when they feel threatened or excited, so the approach that this game is taking is the ideal for communicating the family's design concept. The problem with the 3D model in previous games was mainly just that you only ever saw the flames during very brief attacking animations, when really it should have always worked more like Xerneas's Neutral/Active Modes or BW Kyurem's overdrive states - one for when they're in battle, and one for when they're not.
I’d like to add onto this; what if Cyndaquil’s and Quilava’s flames ended up like depicted in XY onwards as a result of low HP instead of that being the default state of battle? It’d make sense considering that they’d have to conserve their energy at such a state. As for Typhlosion, it could have its flames constantly active during battle regardless of HP as a result of growing strong enough to sustain a lot flame even at its lowest point. I feel this would be a nice little detail that adds a bit of flavor to the Cyndaquil line as a whole.

I’d like to add onto this; what if Cyndaquil’s and Quilava’s flames ended up like depicted in XY onwards as a result of low HP instead of that being the default state of battle? It’d make sense considering that they’d have to conserve their energy at such a state. As for Typhlosion, it could have its flames constantly active during battle regardless of HP as a result of growing strong enough to sustain a lot flame even at its lowest point. I feel this would be a nice little detail that adds a bit of flavor to the Cyndaquil line as a whole.

That would be a nice detail, although with Blaze as its main ability, I'm not sure that even low HP would be a good time to make it appear to power down.

That would be a nice detail, although with Blaze as its main ability, I'm not sure that even low HP would be a good time to make it appear to power down.
I don’t think Legends: Arceus seems to have abilities though, which is kind of what made me think that would be a neat detail for these games in the first place.

They can reconciliate it by having Cindaquil and Quilava concentrating their energy into their attacks, deliberately keeping the flames not used in attacks shut off.

I think the issue there is that cyndaquil's flames aren't really of a natural shape... they could probably do better, but I think it might be a bit difficult to take what had always been kind of an unnatural and cartoony style of fire and make it look organic.
Cyndaquil is an echidna. The flames are meant to be flame quills, so that shape is needed.

I don’t think Legends: Arceus seems to have abilities though, which is kind of what made me think that would be a neat detail for these games in the first place.
Would you really want them to do it for one game that happens to lack abilities, just to retract that detail later for the majority of games that do have them?

They can reconciliate it by having Cindaquil and Quilava concentrating their energy into their attacks, deliberately keeping the flames not used in attacks shut off.
I guess, but I don't think that would represent the ability too well. Might just be me, but I figured Blaze as sort of a second wind keeping it pumped and ready to go.

Cyndaquil is an echidna. The flames are meant to be flame quills, so that shape is needed.
Yeah, it just doesn't translate easily to natural fire. Most "realistic" pokemon art of the line gets the flames wrong for that reason.

Indeed Legends: Arceus seems to have a more simplistic battle system with more live battle elements (closer to other J-RPGs) and less or no competitive online battling features. Though, to be fair, we didn't get to see much of the Pokemon to Pokemon battles in the trailer. Who knows what else they might be keeping up their sleeves!

I just imagine that they really are quills on fire… explains the shape not being just flames. Unless the lore contradicts that?

I just imagine that they really are quills on fire… explains the shape not being just flames. Unless the lore contradicts that?

The sense I get from the Dex is that it's literally just fire, as it always just talks about "flames" and never mentions anything like quills or spines:

Cyndaquil entries said:
It usually stays hunched over. If it is angry or surprised, it shoots flames out of its back.

Cyndaquil protects itself by flaring up the flames on its back. The flames are vigorous if the Pokémon is angry. However, if it is tired, the flames sputter fitfully with incomplete combustion.

Quilava entries said:
Be careful if it turns its back during battle. It means that it will attack with the fire on its back.

Quilava keeps its foes at bay with the intensity of its flames and gusts of superheated air. This Pokémon applies its outstanding nimbleness to dodge attacks even while scorching the foes with flames.

Typhlosion entries said:
It intimidates foes with the heat of its flames. The fire burns more strongly when it readies to fight.

Typhlosion obscures itself behind a shimmering heat haze that it creates using its intensely hot flames. This Pokémon creates blazing explosive blasts that burn everything to cinders.

That said, your idea is better. If they wanted to quietly retcon that in...

Just went through the Japanese website, and there's a few little detail that didn't make it to the English Website.

1. It seems character customisation at the beginning of the game was confirmed, at least the usual skin tone like in BDSP.

The Protagonist's Page said:
物語の始めに、見た目と雰囲気を選ぶことができる。

2. Thrown Pokéball will immediately return after a successful catch, as seen in one of the short video there. I personally hope that the player would have to retrieve it manually so it's a little bit disappointing, but that works too.

Just went through the Japanese website, and there's a few little detail that didn't make it to the English Website.

1. It seems character customisation at the beginning of the game was confirmed, at least the usual skin tone like in BDSP.

2. Thrown Pokéball will immediately return after a successful catch, as seen in one of the short video there. I personally hope that the player would have to retrieve it manually so it's a little bit disappointing, but that works too.
I know, returning pokeball is a bit sad considering the time period but I guess they had to figure out what the pokeball would do when you throw it in the water or in the sky, so this is a good solution afterall.

Anyways, going on about my previous list of pokemon with no evolutions that may get a Hisuian evolution, I'm still so hyped thinking Sudowoodo will get, possibly as a Rock/Grass or Grass version. Johto was considered the most Asian region by the looks, or at least Ecruteak City, I love trees so I'm still hoping Sudowoodo gets a regional evolution.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom