• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

So I noticed that judging by the Gallade Vs Garchomp pic on the official site that it does not show you your opponent's level; a bit closer to a traditional RPG in that way, I suppose, and the official site does say they're infusing "new action and RPG elements". I wonder if we'll get "trainer skills" or something similar?

Also a few predictions:
*A fairly limited Pokédex availability.
*Arceus will be the final boss; Pokémon will finally join the RPG tradition of beating up a god to get the ending.

I wonder how the anime will cover it since it's set in the past.
They've done time travel episodes before, but they might just have an old style Pokéball appear or something similar.

That blue Ryhorn (If it wasn't the lighting) is certainly interesting, since it might suggest some Pokemon looked different and had different typings in the past, but have since then evolved/changed to fit the enviroment they live in more. Maybe Blue Rhyhorn was a Water type (Which would instantly explain why Rhydon can learn Surf).

Even though it's exciting that they're pushing themselves with this game....I'm still a little worried. I enjoyed the DLC pass for Shord and Shield but I did feel like they were a little aimless at times...a bit of structure isn't a bad thing. (I mean, even BotW has one to an extent) I hope we'll be able to actually battle trainers in this game.

I wonder how the anime will cover it since it's set in the past.

They probably won't and just do their own thing. (like orange islands) Either that or they'll do the Arceus storyline but just set it in the present day.

I personally think Dawn and Lucas having identical ancestors is hilarious and kind of goes back to the Joy and Jenny jokes from the anime. It also explains why the overworld sprite for your mom looks like Dawn without a hat and shorter hair.

As for the starters, this is going to be a hard choice since they had to go and pick three of my first pick starters from their respective games.

The 2022 release date might also mean we won't get gen 9 till 2023 a year longer than usual. Also this legends concept could go to other games. I could see legends: rayquaza, ho-oh, and kyrueem

I think it would probably be more like Legends [Mythical pokemon] since Arceus is considered Mythical. So it would probably be more like "Legends Mew", "Legends Celebi", or "Legends Jirachi" for hypothetical prequel Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn games.

I have to admit, if this is the new way for mythical distribution, I'm all for it. Since I miss the events that Gen 4 had like the Shaymin and Darkrai ones. Getting them straight though mystery gift now is just boring. Expanding the mini events to the whole game is just genius.

I will say that I'm cautiously optimistic. I really like the character and town designs, the environments look very nice, and the mixed starter trio is a neat idea (though, I'll probably ditch my starter the first chance I get). I'm curious to see how the PC will work in these games considering there's no modern technology--maybe we'll have a magical substitute or maybe we'll get an entirely new system. However, I am worried about battling, both wild and trainer. It appears that you both catch wild Pokémon straight up and battle them before capturing them, however, I could be wrong on the latter point. We didn't see any trainer battles, and while I think they're going to be in the game, I fear that they will be very limited. Not only that, the overworld looks a little empty judging by the few shots we've been shown. Lastly, I'm hoping for an expanded 'dex and some regional variants, but I'm very cautious on that end.

Edit: Dual capture/battle system for wild Pokémon is confirmed. Per the official website:
You can also have your ally Pokémon battle wild Pokémon that you hope to catch. Just throw the Poké Ball holding your ally Pokémon near a wild Pokémon, and you’ll seamlessly enter battle.

Last edited:
In case anyone wonders: this game has apparently been confirmed to be a core series game:

Indeed, in the presentation they referred to them as the "next entries in the Pokémon series" which is the sort of phrasing they typically use for the core games.

Also, the official site does use a colon in the English name. Over there, it is formatted as Pokémon Legends: Arceus

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how the PC will work in these games considering there's no modern technology--maybe we'll have a magical substitute or maybe we'll get an entirely new system.

There's always some inventor guy in settings like this. Like maybe the "PC" might just be where Pal Park was in the original games and is just open areas to keep your pokemon, but there will probably be some crazy inventor who has discovered time travel (read as a way to sent Pokemon to swsh/the remakes/Home.).

I haven’t seen this mentioned yet, but this is also the first time a main series game hasn’t been divided into 2-4 versions. Which is very much welcome. No version exclusives here! (Although, there will probably be a few instances of Pokémon that are transfer-only).

My main worry is the lack of trainer battles we’ve seen so far. At the very least I’m sure you can challenge other players, though.
Please have all the pokemon. This used to be given.
It won’t. The sooner we accept this, the easier it will be to enjoy the game for what it is.

_pkmn__pokemon_legends_by_saccharinerose_deex9yh-fullview.png

Saccharinerose (DeviantArt)

Then I won't even play the game like with SWSH.
Idk what to tell you, friend. They’ve said that we won’t get every Pokémon in a single game ever again. SwSh was terrific even without all the Pokémon in it, I expect this to be the same or actually even better.

So a few assorted thoughts on what this means for the future of the series:

1. They intend for Legends to be a running sub-series of the main games. The fact that they titled it Legends: Arceus implies that they intend to make more games under the Legends brand. Anyone up for Legends: Mew, Legends: Celebi, Legends: Jirachi, or Legends: Keldeo? Legends seems to be intended to be what I like to call a "branch" of the main games, a series of games that are main games in the same genre and with the same core gameplay, but in a different style. For example, the sandbox Mario games for Mario (Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Odyssey, I also count Super Mario Galaxy but that's somewhat of a hybrid and many people seem to consider it a linear Mario game), they're considered main series Mario games because you run and jump like other Mario games, but instead of running through a linear level to get to the goal, you're wandering around a 3D space to get collectibles. Or the Metroid Prime series for Metroid, which is a Metroidvania like all main series Metroid games, but is a first person 3D game instead of a 2D sidescroller. Now for Pokemon we seem to be getting Legends, which is an open world adventure set in the past instead of a present day linear adventure (Let's Go might also serve the same purpose in being a running series appealing to more casual players if it gets future entries, but more on that in my next point). This is a great way to appeal to differing tastes simultaneously.

2. They're spacing out generations and Gen 9 may be a lot further off than we thought. No one ever thought they would make something this ambitious this soon because Game Freak can only do so much at a time. And it does seem unlikely that after finishing Legends: Arceus they would be able to dive right into another full scale 3D adventure and release Gen 9 in 2023. This tells me that Legends: Arceus could be a "Gen 8.5" of sorts and Gen 9 won't be happening anytime soon. They have a lot more in their toolkit now for spreading out generations so they can spend more time on the big new generations, they have traditional remakes as always, but now they have DLC, they have Let's Go, and they have Legends. I think we'll start to see 5-6 year generations with those kinds of games filling in the gaps. Maybe in 2023/2024 ILCA could give us a Let's Go Johto using BDSP's engine and then Gen 9 happens in 2024/2025. After SwSh turned out to be rushed and garnered complaints, they seem to be slowing things down and finding new ways to get more mileage out of each generation.

3. Game Freak seems to be solving the understaffing problem by recruiting other developers to work on the main games. Another potential issue people have pointed to is that Game Freak is a smaller studio than other developers and they refuse to expand much, and they seem to have been stretched thin lately. So they seem to be solving this by licensing out the remakes to ILCA to alleviate themselves to work on other projects. This is a nice way to get around having to bloat their studio to be too large, and CoD does the same thing to remain yearly while still putting out high end console games (it's developed by three different studios, Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer Games).

All in all, very encouraging signs for the future of Pokemon, they definitely seem to be listening to the complaints about the games being too rushed.

This game certainly looks interesting. I hope we see new ancient forms of Pokémon. Fossil Pokémon before they were fossils and otherwise. I am glad they kept wild battles in, but I hope there is more to do than just catch Pokémon. I usually only catch the ones I’m going to add to my team. This is just a first look though, and I’m sure there’s more to the game we don’t know yet.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom