• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Someone's gonna' have to refresh me on Dexit controversy lore because AFAIR they only said they were "looking into it" or something along those lines in regards to patching old Pokémon in through updates, which is essentially just a noncommittal, "no comment" sort of response.

Looking at what we have, I definitely don't think these games will "repair" Dexit, and that what they said about a game never again containing every single Pokémon will turn out to be true. There was no lie about that, I think.

But like, for me personally, I'm never going to use even a significant percentage of every Pokémon in a game, let alone using every single one of the 898+ that exist, so I myself don't really see the logic in rejecting a game on this sheer principle. While I understand it being frustrating to not have access to one's particular favorites (though to me that seems like a great opportunity to try out some new ones, but hey everyone has their own play style), the games themselves don't actually hinge on the ability to use every Pokémon, at least not within the single-player campaign (and even competitive tends to boil down to a handful of species have the best performance). Having all the Pokémon available is awesome, but I wouldn't say it's essential for a game to be good.
I paid money to store my collection. The collection was given artificial value through the pokemon company's policies throughout decades. Things like timed event excluvise pokemon, pokemon dream world, Pokemon dream radar, having pokemon that are only have the dream world abilities avalible through 10 dollar roms, the jirachi bonus disk, even if there was some overlap each one adds to the investment there was years between pokemon ranch and the pokeball plus so each way was someone's only way of getting something at the time.. To this day Durude is articially more scarce than other pokemon. Allowing people to pour a lot of time, effort and money into their collections, monetizing it in nearly every way possible, only to put them at mercy of never being able to use the whole thing again and tripling the price of storage for dubious reasons is unethical. Just because it's only a video game series doesn't mean there aren't unethical things. Stealing 2 dollars from a classmate is unethical even though it's only two dollars.

As for the starters, this is going to be a hard choice since they had to go and pick three of my first pick starters from their respective games.

I was just thinking if they had included Torchic or Fennekin for the fire starter then the starters would have been made up entirely of my first picks from each of their gens.

(I went with Chikorita over Cyndaquil)

That said I kinda feel like my choice is between Oshawott and Cyndaquil because gen 7 still feels too recent to pick up Rowlet again.

Oshawott, Cindaquil and Rowlet are weird choices gor starters

I saw someone saying that Oshawott and Rowlet make sense for the time period because they evolve into a Samurai and an Archer.

We're not really sure about Cyndaquil though, it might just be because of the Sinnoh/Johto connection.

The blue Rhyhorn has me intrigued. I actually thought it was a weird lighting thing at first but after looking at it more I think it could be more than just that. Perhaps that's a new (or well, old) regional variant. Maybe we'll see more about how Pokemon have evolved through time with this game! Sure, in our world it doesn't make sense that a Pokemon can evolve that much in only 900 years (at most This prediction is based on the time period that people are speculating this game takes place in), but one of the main mechanics in Pokemon is evolution. I think that's a good justification to explain that Pokemon can adapt and drastically change a lot faster than real-world animals can.

There's a lot of opportunities they can take in this game in terms of Pokemon. We could see more regional variants, see if certain Pokemon have changed over the course of time (possibly like the blue Rhyhorn), and maybe even meet new Pokemon that we haven't seen before because they are now extinct in the Present Pokemon World. Yes, I could see there being some problems with that, especially since we might never see them again. But, there are ways that they could handle having them show up again. Like maybe there will be more areas in the Pokemon games that aren't well inhabited by people (Galar's Crown Tundra is a good example), where these Pokemon can live. There are just so many possibilities for this game it is so freaking exciting.

I saw someone saying that Oshawott and Rowlet make sense for the time period because they evolve into a Samurai and an Archer.

We're not really sure about Cyndaquil though, it might just be because of the Sinnoh/Johto connection.
Well, Cyndaquil is from a Japanese region and isn't Charmander again. So it makes sense from a "see, we can choose a non-Kantonian fire starter for once!" sense.

I don't think the Rhyhorn is a variant because it looks exactly the same as a regular Rhyhorn outside of its blue-grey coloration. My crackpot theory is that we'll see Pokémon with color variations that only serve an aesthetic purpose, but it's probably just the lighting needing some kinks worked out.

OMG. A Legends series game for Kalos or Galar would be the coolest thing.

But I don't know if this will become a series. Would be neat if it does.
First, I'm completely shocked, a prequel is something GF never before in Pokemon History, Second this could be another sub-series game, but we have to see how Pokemon Legends would sells before it have it own series, If so, would that means it will have a prequel settings in other regions that focus on mythicals like Genesect, Celebii, Diancie, Mew, etc.

I think this has about as good of a chance of becoming a "subseries" as Let's Go did, which is to say... they'll take lessons from it and apply them in new ways later on, but it won't become a distinct "thing." I don't think they're looking to plot out the next 20 years of gameplay here, except in the absolute broadest of terms, 'cause who knows what the hardware will be like in the future.

Either that or Cyndaquil just rounded out the trio with the other two best.

Probably this, I think.

Assuming that 1) they didn't want to use any Galar Starters since they've got plenty of prominence over in SwSh, 2) they didn't want to pull two Starters from the same generation, and 3) that Chimchar and Turtwig will be in the game elsewhere as Piplup seems to be, then that means their options were Charmander, Cyndaquil, Torchic, and Fennekin. Personally, of those choices I think Cyndaquil's color palette works best with Rowlet and Oshawott, but also, Charmander has gotten a ton of attention recently as well so maybe they wanted to throw someone else a bone. And maybe they wanted it to be an older Starter, since Rowlet is on the newer end of the spectrum and Oshawott is right in the middle.

Who knows, really - whatever motivated, I'm pleased with their decision.

I think this has about as good of a chance of becoming a "subseries" as Let's Go did, which is to say... they'll take lessons from it and apply them in new ways later on, but it won't become a distinct "thing." I don't think they're looking to plot out the next 20 years of gameplay here, except in the absolute broadest of terms, 'cause who knows what the hardware will be like in the future.
I think that the ones for Johto and Kalos would fit an ancient history vibe, while others like Kanto will be more high tech and futuristic.

The concept of this game seems so bizarre. Namely, the Starters. Rowlet, Cyndaquil, and Oshawott were around for the genesis of the Sinnoh region? Yet none of them can be found in said region? And just how far in the past are we talking about? That this man could visit all three rather far regions, with Alola being quite remote, surrounded by oceans no less? I know I shouldn't think too hard, but it comes across as one of those fan-made Pokémon rpgs to me where the creator randomly selects Starters for their custom region.

The concept of this game seems so bizarre. Namely, the Starters. Rowlet, Cyndaquil, and Oshawott were around for the genesis of the Sinnoh region? Yet none of them can be found in said region? And just how far in the past are we talking about? That this man could visit all three rather far regions, with Alola being quite remote, surrounded by oceans no less? I know I shouldn't think too hard, but it comes across as one of those fan-made Pokémon rpgs to me where the creator randomly selects Starters for their custom region.

The western style "lab" building firmly places this in real world 1800s. It's not really that random.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom