• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

I don't. They're selling us a diamond and pearl remaster with shoddy graphics for $60. They deserve everything they get, as sad as it is to say.
Do you realize and aware that Game Freak had to face challenges and risks?

The remaster is not being made by Game Freak. I recently come across a tweet compraising Game Freak to a terrorist organization. I really I don't why you had a deep hatred on Game Freak.

Look, I really don't like Game Freak's shady decisions but the hate and the bashing has gone way too far to the point where it's just beating a dead horse.

Do you realize and aware that Game Freak had to face challenges and risks to make fans?

The remaster is not being made by Game Freak. I recently come across a tweet compraising Game Freak to a terrorist organization. I really I don't why you really keep hating on Game Freak making biased statements.

Look I really don't like Game Freak's shady decisions but the hate and the bashing has gone way too far to the point where it's just beating a dead horse and don't you know how much does it cost to make a game.

I completely understand that, and I am not completely apathetic towards Gamefreak. I know they have had to go through a lot, but that doesn't mean that I have to support their decisions. I actually think Legends looks pretty good. I don't know what the game entails, but i'm interested to see where it goes. As far as the sinnoh remakes are concerned, I would celebrate if they cancelled those remakes and it never saw the light again.

Isn't the whole Sinjoh backstory that Sinnoh had settlers that migrated from Johto? What if we play as one of those settlers?

The way the prerelease materials are dancing around the professor's name make me think it's someone familiar (or an ancestor of someone familiar).

Isn't the whole Sinjoh backstory that Sinnoh had settlers that migrated from Johto? What if we play as one of those settlers?

The way the prerelease materials are dancing around the professor's name make me think it's someone familiar (or an ancestor of someone familiar).
It would be hilarious if Cynthia turns out to be immortal and was alive during the poke-Edo period and was the Professor.

I mean, immortality exists in Pokemon given AZ and whatever is going on with that one guy in Ecruteak.

It would be hilarious if Cynthia turns out to be immortal and was alive during the poke-Edo period and was the Professor.

Do we have confirmation on this being set in the Edo period?

To me, it looks more like the Meiji Era.

Sinnoh is obviously based on Hokkaido, which was a foreign place (Ezo) to the Japanese back in the Edo period. It was only during the Meiji era that it became part of Japan and truly settled by Japanese people.

Some of the buildings in the trailer appear to have a western style that was popular during the Meiji period.

Last edited:
Do we have confirmation on this being set in the Edo period?

To me, it looks more like the Meiji Era.

Sinnoh is obviously based on Hokkaido, which was a foreign place (Ezo) to the Japanese back in the Edo period. It was only during the Meiji era that it became part of Japan an truly settled by Japanese people.

Some of the buildings in the trailer appear to have a western style that was popular during the Meiji period.
Not really. I'm just making assumptions based on there only being one western style building in the area. Meji just seems like there'd be more dotted around. So I kind of assume it's somewhere in-between late Edo and early Meji.

Not really. I'm just making assumptions based on there only being one western style building in the area. Meji just seems like there'd be more dotted around. So I kind of assume it's somewhere in-between late Edo and early Meji.

But there would be zero western style buildings if this was the Edo period. Edo was before Japan's re-opening to the world. "Barbarian" style houses weren't popular at all.

Hokkaido was still a frontier region (the Japanese version of the "wild west") during the early Meiji era, with settlers living in simple houses. Western style buildings were usually only offices or other important seats.

Rowan?

I’m happy to see that Pokemon is trying out a new approach to its games, but we honestly don’t know enough about Legends: Arceus to judge whether it will be a game as good as BoTW. Will it turn out to have an empty world, a mostly linear progression, and a plot as shaky as SwSh’s, or is Game Freak going to live up to fan daydreams of a complex, layered story/world with huge amounts of freedom in where to explore and how to progress the main story?

The graphics look... pretty bad, too, but it is still early stages so perhaps that will be improved.

Still, I’m cautiously hopeful for this entry and for the Sinnoh remakes.

I completely understand that, and I am not completely apathetic towards Gamefreak. I know they have had to go through a lot, but that doesn't mean that I have to support their decisions. I actually think Legends looks pretty good. I don't know what the game entails, but i'm interested to see where it goes. As far as the sinnoh remakes are concerned, I would celebrate if they cancelled those remakes and it never saw the light again.
You can just not buy them you know. There are some people who would want to play BDSP. Not to mention the DS games are very hard to find these days and expensive as well.

On topic, I saw someone state that the starters might be inspired from Ainu culture. That's pretty interesting. I don't know much about it but I've heard Ainu stories and culture is very hard to find and a lot of it is lost.

Truth be told, I wasn't impressed by the trailer but I do think this game has potential and I would be happy to see this become a sub-series in the future.

The reason I wasn't impressed is because right now the game looks rather bland and empty. There are ways to make vast landscapes look unique and interesting despite not having buildings and structures. I'm also not sold on the visual direction. I consider Genshin Impact a good example of what a Pokemon game could look like. It has a colourful, vibrant and somewhat cartoony style that would fit Pokemon perfectly. Additionally, the landscape layout in Genshin Impact has a bit more thought put into it to make it more interesting to look at.

Legends' visual direction seems to lean more towards a somewhat realistic appearance which makes it clash with other elements. Overall, I just think the visuals of this game lack cohesiveness and a strong identity while also having a lackluster landscape layout. This can be improved upon in the future.

Finally, and this is more of a nitpick really, Pokemon's UI is still disappointing. Ever since we moved to the Switch, the games have had a UI that lacks character and looks like it could be found in any other game. It doesn't have to be overly stylish, but when I look at the UI from a Pokemon game I want it look like it belongs to the particular game/franchise it comes from.

With that said, I like the concept of the game and this could be a wonderful sub-series that could greatly expand the lore and depth of each region making the Pokemon world feel more vibrant, vast and lived-in than ever before. While the Pokemon themselves have always been the focus of the franchise, having a more expansive world to put these little creatures in is always a positive.

Gameplay wise, it's encouraging to see Game Freak experiment with a more action-oriented, open world game. This looks like a good foundation for what could be the Pokemon game a lot of fans have been wishing to play. Making this a separate game was a good idea because now we're not limited to certain restrictions the "main" series has and at the same time experimental content from this game can one day be applied to the "main" series to improve it. I truly hope Legends will become the grounds for passion, ambition and experimentation that I personally think Game Freak has been lacking the past few years.

I'm not as excited as other people are because I've been disappointed one too many times and I've learnt to be cautious, but I'm going to keep an eye out for this game. It has potential to be great.

Last edited:
Lockstin & Gnoggin made a very informative video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrXNUxLVpQE

Basically, this game seems to be inspired by the Meiji period, so about 100-150 years ago.

Thank you for posting this. This confirms my previous guess that this is Meiji era Hokkaido.

As the video say, it's a clever choice to set this game during the Meiji era, since Hokkaido went through a lot of change during that time. Funnily, there is this one manga, unrelated to Pokemon, that I'm currently reading which might have played a part in spreading popular awarness about Meiji era Hokkaido, not just among the Japanese, but also overseas. I wouldn't be surprised if this inspired GameFreak to set this game during this period, since Sinnoh is already based on Hokkaido.

if people have actually lived in Sinnoh for a long time at this point, maybe we'll get to find ancient ruins that tie back to the legends around Arceus?
Imagine seeing the Spear Pillar when it's less of a ruin than it is now.
I genuinely didn’t think this would happen. I literally remember posting about an open world concept I had and prefacing it with ‘this would never happen’ lmao.
Just goes to show you should never say never, doesn't it?

On topic, I saw someone state that the starters might be inspired from Ainu culture. That's pretty interesting. I don't know much about it but I've heard Ainu stories and culture is very hard to find and a lot of it is lost.
I very much doubt that. Putting aside the fact that Oshawatt's line is based on the life of a Samurai which is very much not-Ainu. The trailer mentions the professor bringing the Starters from other Regions which is a nod to real life in regards to Typlosion which is based on the Japanese badger which does not exist in Hokkaido due to a zoological phenomenon known as the "Blakiston Line" and therefore it makes sense that Cyndaquill was brought in from Johto.

In addition, I do question how much if any Ainu references there will be in this game as colonialism and the like are particularly sensitive topics these days that I suspect GF would prefer to sidestep. Then again, they did put in Copperaja into Sw/Sh so who knows maybe they do have the balls to acknowledge it after all.

(migrating over to this thread lol)

I don't think manually aiming is going to be a thing- in the trailer, there was no reticle or anything as the player aimed. I think it's just going to be a thing where you aim a Poke Ball, and the game makes it snap into place for throwing at the closest Pokemon.

I'm hoping that's the case, otherwise it'll be the bane of my playthroughs. But don't forget that this is prerelease data, especially given the framerate issues in the trailer, thus it is subject to change. The game still has at least 10 months to change before release, so anything can be changed during that timeframe. Plus, you still had to adjust the PC before throwing the ball, so there is some form of manual aiming involved. If the game doesn't require you to do more than just align the PC with your target and throw the ball with the game taking care of the rest then that I can live with. I just hope that's the case, otherwise I'll be wasting a lot of balls just trying to catch one Mon.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom