• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Not to interrupt, but it's worth pointing out the whole "no Trainers or the League" line isn't in the original Japanese version of the website, only the English one which is notably more flowery in general so that may just be the dub waxing some poetic.

I'll check out the JPN trailer as well later when I get some more time to see if the line is mentioned at all in their version.

I imagine it means that training Pokémon specifically for battle competitions with each other like the leagues wasn't established yet, but people still trained Pokémon for combat against dangerous wild Pokémon (and probably other people who are threats, like when the player battles evil team members).

Not to interrupt, but it's worth pointing out the whole "no Trainers or the League" line isn't in the original Japanese version of the website, only the English one which is notably more flowery in general so that may just be the dub waxing some poetic.

I'll check out the JPN trailer as well later when I get some more time to see if the line is mentioned at all in their version.
Hmm, this might back my theory up?

I imagine it means that training Pokémon specifically for battle competitions with each other like the leagues wasn't established yet, but people still trained Pokémon for combat against dangerous wild Pokémon (and probably other people who are threats, like when the player battles evil team members).

That’s precisely it

People and Pokémon have been partnering up for a long, long, long time. Thousands of years, canonically speaking. And think about AZ’s war - there, Pokémon were used as soldiers. So it’s not like people didn’t recognize the combative potential of Pokémon, either - it’s just that the idea to translate that potential into the foundation for an organized competitive sport is relatively modern. You could absolutely still have de facto “Trainers” in Old Sinnoh, it’s just that the overall social dynamic would be different in terms of why people pit their Pokémon against one another in combat.

Wait what.

I hope they wrote that based on something they know about the game product (at least in this stage of development) and not based on an assumption that can be proven utterly wrong.

That’s precisely it

People and Pokémon have been partnering up for a long, long, long time. Thousands of years, canonically speaking. And think about AZ’s war - there, Pokémon were used as soldiers. So it’s not like people didn’t recognize the combative potential of Pokémon, either - it’s just that the idea to translate that potential into the foundation for an organized competitive sport is relatively modern. You could absolutely still have de facto “Trainers” in Old Sinnoh, it’s just that the overall social dynamic would be different in terms of why people pit their Pokémon against one another in combat.
Speaking about Az, we could see a much younger version of him in this game I feel. He is wandering the world in search of his Pokemon. Unless its more than 3000 years ago I suppose.

Speaking about Az, we could see a much younger version of him in this game I feel. He is wandering the world in search of his Pokemon. Unless its more than 3000 years ago I suppose.
It's likely a hundred or so-ish. He probably won't look any different outside of clothing, honestly.

Imo it's the lore itself that suggests that things like trainer battles are not really a thing in this Sinnoh. From what we know, people from around the pokemon world arrived in Sinnoh and created a big village all together.
Now, according to this information, we have to assume that the only people we could battle in this Sinnoh are the people from the village we come from. So, unless there are unknown native Sinnoh people in the game or some sort of rivalry between the different people of the village, I don't see why we should battle other trainers.
This clearly doesn't mean that it's impossible that some trainer battles are in the game, just don't expect the game to focus on that.

Wait what.

I hope they wrote that based on something they know about the game product (at least in this stage of development) and not based on an assumption that can be proven utterly wrong.
I checked the JPN trailer and it doesn't mention it either so I dunno. *Shrug*

It's likely a hundred or so-ish. He probably won't look any different outside of clothing, honestly.
I keep seeing this a lot here and around the web, but is there any actual evidence of Legends being set a hundred-ish years in Sinnoh's past?

Something I really hope about the game is that they will try to explain how modern Sinnoh was born. I mean, even if there's only one village in the beginning, I hope the exploration will encourage people to build other villages around the region, so that at the end of the game we can have a map of small villages that one day will become the modern cities of Sinnoh.
Something like the building of Tarrey Town in BOTW, where you have to convince people to go there and help building a new town. This way the game could have an easier way of progression. Let's say we start from Village 1 (for example Twinleaf) and we explore the area around it. Every time we faint or we need to restore our Pokemon we need to go back to village 1. Once we have explored area 1 and defeated the boss pokemon (or catched a specific amount of mons), however, people will build Village 2 (let's say Sandgem) so we can explore a new area while having a closer point to go back and rest.
I know it won't happen, but it would be so cool.

Wait what.

Stuff like that happens so many times before. So. Many. Times. Either things don't translate well and they interpret it wrong, the English social media teams makes a typo and it spreads like wildfire, or in this case the localization teams want to inject more whimsy into the translation then there should be.

We don't think Game Freak is trying to do away with turn-based battles, aside from this possible "Legends" side series, for good, do we? Because if they were theoretically thinking that, it would be something I would strongly advise against, a lot of games have caught A LOT of flak for suddenly changing a combat system that has worked for 20 years and didn't need any fixing. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I can relate to that saying from another game called RuneScape, that basically destroyed their tried and true turn-based combat system that had carried them for the better part of 15 years, causing a massive split in the community to where they had to release an older version of the game to appease roughly 75% of the community that hated the new combat system.

I'm probably jumping the gun here if anything, but I'm doing that by design, I'd rather the discussion be brought up about how bad of an idea that is now before it's a problem rather than a few years down the road when it's suddenly a problem.

It's mostly YouTubers scaring me with their clickbaity titles like "is this the new direction for Pokemon?!" and then referencing the rumored ATB system and people saying that gives me war flashbacks to when another one of my favorite games was ruined by a similar concept.

A permanent change away from the current turn-based system would definitely be enough to turn me off from the newer games, but I'd be okay with that change only being in a sort of sub-series of the main series games, similar to how I'm okay with Let's Go mechanics, as long as those stay in Let's Go (or optional).

We don't think Game Freak is trying to do away with turn-based battles, aside from this possible "Legends" side series, for good, do we? Because if they were theoretically thinking that, it would be something I would strongly advise against, a lot of games have caught A LOT of flak for suddenly changing a combat system that has worked for 20 years and didn't need any fixing. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I can relate to that saying from another game called RuneScape, that basically destroyed their tried and true turn-based combat system that had carried them for the better part of 15 years, causing a massive split in the community to where they had to release an older version of the game to appease roughly 75% of the community that hated the new combat system.

I'm probably jumping the gun here if anything, but I'm doing that by design, I'd rather the discussion be brought up about how bad of an idea that is now before it's a problem rather than a few years down the road when it's suddenly a problem.

It's mostly YouTubers scaring me with their clickbaity titles like "is this the new direction for Pokemon?!" and then referencing the rumored ATB system and people saying that gives me war flashbacks to when another one of my favorite games was ruined by a similar concept.

A permanent change away from the current turn-based system would definitely be enough to turn me off from the newer games, but I'd be okay with that change only being in a sort of sub-series of the main series games, similar to how I'm okay with Let's Go mechanics, as long as those stay in Let's Go (or optional).

I mean, Gamefreak needs to completely overturn/change the stat system if they that, since apparently the faster mons can attack thrice before a slower mon can even attack once in Legends.

I mean, Gamefreak needs to completely overturn/change the stat system if they that, since apparently the faster mons can attack thrice before a slower mon can even attack once in Legends.

So that's what Raid Battles were testing.

Okay now y'all are really scaring me, it makes too much sense when you mention raid battles as well. I wouldn't inherently be against such a simple change of "faster Pokemon can attack multiple times" if that's all that's effectively being changed, as long as priority moves like Quick Attack and Protect continue to function as they do, but as mentioned, they would have to completely overhaul how stats are calculated, because if they didn't, the meta for battling would become even more speed-dependent than it already is. Fast sweepers are already super powerful, but the battling feels fairly balanced where with the right strategy for the situation, slow or fast Pokemon can be strong. I just feel like if they truly go this direction of faster Pokemon attacking multiple times, the metagame will shift way too far biased in the direction of fast sweepers.

Also, if changing the stats and how damage is dealt is the solution to the problem, then there was no problem in the first place. If "oh, this Pokemon can attack three times in a row now so we need to cut the damage into a 3rd to fix it" is the problem, then keeping it the same yields the same result without messing with stats and other variables, it already works fine, changing it will just inevitably lead to a continuous struggle to strike that balance they already had with the turn-based system.

I think that's part of why we're getting BDSP, they don't want to abandon the current turn-based games, but they also want to experiment with things such as LGPE/LA.

At the very least, I think we'll have LA's open world be the influence for Gen 9

I think that's part of why we're getting BDSP, they don't want to abandon the current turn-based games, but they also want to experiment with things such as LGPE/LA.

At the very least, I think we'll have LA's open world be the influence for Gen 9

Yeah I'm remaining hopeful that they'll keep all major deviations from the current formula to those subseries of the mainline games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick just to the Sinnoh dex so they don't have to make so many animations. They might even cut the move pools so they don't have to find ways to animate armless Pokemon using punch moves.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom