• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Does anyone remember that back during the last two gens' pre-release cycles, nearly everyone wanted a new battle system? Like they really wanted ATB as oppose to turnbased because they thought it was getting old, stale, and unfair?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

New gens and remakes will most likely use turn-based battles in the future. Don't forget that even if Legends is listed as an action RPG and will include some sort of action during battle, they showed a turn based battle in the trailer, so it's still there somehow.
But even if Legends would remove turn based battles, I don't see why GF should remove turn based battles from all their games. I mean, I think it's obvious that they want to make different games that can appeal to different audiences, so what's the point of making all three main line games have the same battle system?
Not counting that they don't know how Legends will sell, so I'm quite sure gen 9 will be 100% turn based.

Did they? I know they showed a battle, but I don’t believe we explicitly got to see if it was turn-based.
We saw Gallade vs Garchomp. The player selected a move and Gallade attacked Garchomp like in any other game. Probably there will be some action (maybe the pokemon will attack the trainer too or they will attack multiple times in a single turn like in Raids) but the structure of that battle is clearly partially turn based.

We saw Gallade vs Garchomp. The player selected a move and Gallade attacked Garchomp like in any other game. Probably there will be some action (maybe the pokemon will attack the trainer too or they will attack multiple times in a single turn like in Raids) but the structure of that battle is clearly partially turn based.
I guess it just wasn’t too explicit to me that that battle was turn based. You still select moves in non-turn based fights as well.

I guess it just wasn’t too explicit to me that that battle was turn based. You still select moves in non-turn based fights as well.
According to leaks, it won't be a traditional turn based battle system, but considering how it was presented, I guess GF actually wanted to underline that turn based battles are still a thing somehow. I mean, without the leaks, we would have watched the trailer thinking that the game was 100% turn based.
Who knows, maybe it will be another twist like with overworld pokemon in the first two sw/sh trailers.

Does anyone remember that back during the last two gens' pre-release cycles, nearly everyone wanted a new battle system? Like they really wanted ATB as oppose to turnbased because they thought it was getting old, stale, and unfair?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
I really don't? I remember some people wanted a shift while others didn't. Same as almost every generation since IV.

I really don't? I remember some people wanted a shift while others didn't. Same as almost every generation since IV.
Everyone I saw was fine with it because they thought it would finally put a twist on the old formula, shake things up, and kill smogen's monopoly on the meta game. Very few people said they weren't fine with it. Even back during Sword and Shield when everyone misinterpreting dynamaxing, people liked the thought of a change in formula because "turn base was getting old and outdated ."

I don't remember anything like that back during XY. Back then people just wanted a change in the evil team formula...and ended up getting Flare.

I mean, I'm kinda tired of turn based battles in Pokemon games simply because it's just a waste of time. You can simply press A the entire game and easly defeat the champion. What's the point of deep strategy when your opponents don't know what they are doing 90% of the time? Turn based battles are great (and I mean it) but in competitive or in difficult battle facilities (even raids) where taking your time and thinking can reward you with a victory, surely not against a fisherman with 6 magikarps who can only do splash.
From my point of view the best choice for the future would be a more dynamic battle system during the main plot and a regular turn based battle system for the post game (battle facility or competitive --> assuming a proper post game will actually come back in future titles of course).

I hate the whole “turn based action” thing because it feels like it’s trying to compromise between turn based and free action and it’s just awkward and hard to manage. Choose one or the other dammit!

From my point of view the best choice for the future would be a more dynamic battle system during the main plot and a regular turn based battle system for the post game (battle facility or competitive --> assuming a proper post game will actually come back in future titles of course).
I don't think using two different battle systems for the main game and the facilities/MP is a good idea. It would make it even more difficult to break into competitive/facility play.

Hmm...considering that Hokkaido was originally known as "Ezo" before the Northern Frontier happened I am curious as to if we'll see how Sinnoh got its name. Especially since this game deals with Arceus and the name Sinnoh comes from "Shinou" (神奥) which can be read as the "heart of God". :unsure:

Now, according to this information, we have to assume that the only people we could battle in this Sinnoh are the people from the village we come from. So, unless there are unknown native Sinnoh people in the game or some sort of rivalry between the different people of the village, I don't see why we should battle other trainers.
Considering the Solaceon Ruins exists, I’d say that a native Sinnohnian civilization akin to the Ainu isn’t all that far fetched.

If this game takes place 100-200 years ago, the people who honored the Spear Pillar may have all migrated to the region of the Sinjoh Ruins. HGSS didn't establish that no one had stayed behind in Sinnoh, but looking at this game, that would seem to be at least mostly true.

I'll just put it out there: This game would be much more interesting if it were set in Sinjoh. We don't need a third Sinnoh game released mere months after the remakes.

I'll just put it out there: This game would be much more interesting if it were set in Sinjoh. We don't need a third Sinnoh game released mere months after the remakes.
I mean, there’s gonna be a space-controlling legendary (Palkia) in the game. Nothing is too far away or off limits. I assume we will be witnessing the legend of Arceus, right? Spacetime travel seems necessary for that already. Dialga and Palkia are ready. LOL

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom