• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Out of curiosity, what is it based on exactly? I’m not sure if there’s a metric.

My understanding is that it's an informal term that refers more to profile than to quality. The developer/publisher does factor into it, but also the budget for production and how it's marketed. It's loosely equivalent to a "blockbuster" in film parlance. Pokémon is a huge IP; the games are published by Nintendo, and probably have pretty healthy budgets backing them up. Because of that status, even a game like BDSP is a lot closer to the video game equivalent of the next Marvel movie or Disney remake than it is to, I dunno, pick an indie horror film.

My understanding is that it's an informal term that refers more to profile than to quality. The developer/publisher does factor into it, but also the budget for production and how it's marketed. It's loosely equivalent to a "blockbuster" in film parlance. Pokémon is a huge IP; the games are published by Nintendo, and probably have pretty healthy budgets backing them up. Because of that status, even a game like BDSP is a lot closer to the video game equivalent of the next Marvel movie or Disney remake than it is to, I dunno, pick an indie horror film.

Thing is that we DON'T know what the budget is because that's information that is usually not provided to the public. So all we have to go on is what the game looks and plays like. And from what we've seen so far, it looks like a marginal upgrade with 3D models that look very similar to the original 2D sprites. Furthermore, it's being marketed as a "faithful remake" so there aren't going to be any big changes hiding. With all of that in mind, it seems unlikely that they spent anywhere near as much as say, BotW or Mario Odyssey, hence why people are skeptical that this is a AAA game worth $60. Now more on topic, Legends Arceus looks more like a AAA game being a large, ambitious open world. But BDSP? It looks more like a budget eShop title they should be charging $30 for instead of a AAA game worth a full retail release for $60.

I'm still surprised that Legends Arceus is going to release near the beginning of next year, I thought that they would try to find and fix the issues before releasing it. But maybe they were always planning to release it in the first quarter?

Thing is that we DON'T know what the budget is because that's information that is usually not provided to the public. So all we have to go on is what the game looks and plays like. And from what we've seen so far, it looks like a marginal upgrade with 3D models that look very similar to the original 2D sprites. Furthermore, it's being marketed as a "faithful remake" so there aren't going to be any big changes hiding. With all of that in mind, it seems unlikely that they spent anywhere near as much as say, BotW or Mario Odyssey, hence why people are skeptical that this is a AAA game worth $60. Now more on topic, Legends Arceus looks more like a AAA game being a large, ambitious open world. But BDSP? It looks more like a budget eShop title they should be charging $30 for instead of a AAA game worth a full retail release for $60.

And it's fine if you feel that way, but again, it's not really relevant to the matter at hand since Triple-A status has more to do with clout. Link's Awakening and Skyward Sword HD? It's almost certain that neither of those required the same budget or development time or marketing focus as Breath of the Wild, and their concepts are far less groundbreaking, but Nintendo knows that Zelda is a powerful IP that they can price like a Triple-A property, so those games both get the standard Triple-A retail price even though they're not at all comparable to Breath of the Wild.

It's an issue to be taken up with the industry at large.

I thought that they would try to find and fix the issues before releasing it.

By all sensible logic, they will. There's no reason to assume they won't.

I'm still surprised that Legends Arceus is going to release near the beginning of next year, I thought that they would try to find and fix the issues before releasing it. But maybe they were always planning to release it in the first quarter?
They said "early 2022", so I expected March.

I heard "early 2022" and imagined around February so... "in the middle of what was predicted and what we got" points?
Same. Maybe it's because I frequent music and movie forums quite often, and so I'm used to it, but when a company announces something is slated for "early next year" I tend to associate that with the Q1 release cycle (January to March). Hence the late January release didn't seem that shocking to me.

At this point they could have waited for pokemon Day...but hey.

At this point they could have waited for pokemon Day...but hey.
Why do that when they're going to announce gen 9 on that day? I'm certain the January release date is so that the following month they don't have a game not yet released before they announce the next title. I thought gen 9 might be a year later because I thought early 2022 was gonna be march, after Pokemon day. They wouldn't reveal gen 9 when LA wasn't out yet. But if the game came out a month prior they have free space to announce gen 9.

Why do that when they're going to announce gen 9 on that day? I'm certain the January release date is so that the following month they don't have a game not yet released before they announce the next title. I thought gen 9 might be a year later because I thought early 2022 was gonna be march, after Pokemon day. They wouldn't reveal gen 9 when LA wasn't out yet. But if the game came out a month prior they have free space to announce gen 9.

Either gen 9 or Lets Go Johto, since its odd LA comes out early 2022 if we don't get anything late 2022.

There is also a possibility they show off Detective Pikachu 2 during Pokemon Day, which then releases in summer.

I’m curious as to why you would find this odd. If anything it’s highly atypical for us to get more than one mainline game in the same year.

Why not put LA late 2022 in that case. Would be a more sensible decision from a business perspective, especially since its the same region as the remakes.

And, you can make the same argument that its atypical to release 2 mainline games 2 months after eachother.

What are they gonna announce during Pokemon Day. Pokemon Unite and Detective Pikachu 2 aren't gonna cut it, so they need to have something major.

Why not put LA late 2022 in that case. Would be a more sensible decision from a business perspective, especially since its the same region as the remakes.

And, you can make the same argument that its atypical to release 2 mainline games 2 months after eachother.

What are they gonna announce during Pokemon Day. Pokemon Unite and Detective Pikachu 2 aren't gonna cut it, so they need to have something major.
We don’t really know much about BDSP or LA yet so it’s pretty unclear why they made such an unorthodox decision.

But that’s just what it was: unorthodox. This isn’t the norm nor does it suggest that it suddenly will be from now on.

As for Pokémon Day, they definitely haven’t announced a new mainline game every single year so I don’t see why 2022 has to be any different.

We don’t really know much about BDSP or LA yet so it’s pretty unclear why they made such an unorthodox decision.

But that’s just what it was: unorthodox. This isn’t the norm nor does it suggest that it suddenly will be from now on.

As for Pokémon Day, they definitely haven’t announced a new mainline game every single year so I don’t see why 2022 has to be any different.

Well... because

2019 - 2022 falls perfectly in line with the every 3 years a new generation cycle.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom