• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Why do that when they're going to announce gen 9 on that day? I'm certain the January release date is so that the following month they don't have a game not yet released before they announce the next title. I thought gen 9 might be a year later because I thought early 2022 was gonna be march, after Pokemon day. They wouldn't reveal gen 9 when LA wasn't out yet. But if the game came out a month prior they have free space to announce gen 9.
I refuse to even consider the possibility.

Isn't Pokemon's plan for the next few months starting from the release of BDSP is to use LA with those games in conjunction? It's possibly the only way to explain why those games release so close to one another.

Why do that when they're going to announce gen 9 on that day? I'm certain the January release date is so that the following month they don't have a game not yet released before they announce the next title. I thought gen 9 might be a year later because I thought early 2022 was gonna be march, after Pokemon day. They wouldn't reveal gen 9 when LA wasn't out yet. But if the game came out a month prior they have free space to announce gen 9.
What are they gonna announce during Pokemon Day. Pokemon Unite and Detective Pikachu 2 aren't gonna cut it, so they need to have something major.
Well... because

2019 - 2022 falls perfectly in line with the every 3 years a new generation cycle.
That mighf result in either Legends: Arceus or the Gen 9 debut games being rushed. Considering the worry people have currently due to the release day and the criticisms they got from SwSh, TPCi would either have to be really, really confident in one or both of their big projects. Worst case scenario, this would result in both Legends: Arceus and Gen 9 being subpar products, which I doubt TPCi would risk unless they had no idea what they were doing.

It just doesn’t benefit them to stick to the three generation lifecycle anymore unless one of the projects gets the short end of the stick.

I don't think we'll see any main series games released the same year as GameFreak's big, ambitious project that is so large that the torch of creating a remake was passed onto another studio.
I agree that they want to focus on their passion project/proof of concept. But at the same time, there really isn't anything saying they can't tease Gen 9 during 2022 and release it sometime in 2023.

That mighf result in either Legends: Arceus or the Gen 9 debut games being rushed. Considering the worry people have currently due to the release day and the criticisms they got from SwSh, TPCi would either have to be really, really confident in one or both of their big projects. Worst case scenario, this would result in both Legends: Arceus and Gen 9 being subpar products, which I doubt TPCi would risk unless they had no idea what they were doing.

It just doesn’t benefit them to stick to the three generation lifecycle anymore unless one of the projects gets the short end of the stick.
Trust me I don't want them to do it either because I'm sure that means either legends or gen 9 (or both) will be rushed. Honestly we also have to wonder how much covid affected gamefreak game development too. We know Nintendo had issues because of it so gamefreak had to have too. But they haven't missed a beat so far. The dlc wasn't delayed and outside of following Pokemon came out pretty good. It could be that we're hyping thia game up to be gamefreaks passion project when to them it might not be. Hopefully they have just been working on legends arceus for so long that covid didn't affect them too bad.

Now a best case scenario would be its releasing so early in the year to make room for dlc to drop by the end of 2022 for LA and then announce gen 9 in February of 2023 for an end of year release.

Trust me I don't want them to do it either because I'm sure that means either legends or gen 9 (or both) will be rushed. Honestly we also have to wonder how much covid affected gamefreak game development too. We know Nintendo had issues because of it so gamefreak had to have too. But they haven't missed a beat so far. The dlc wasn't delayed and outside of following Pokemon came out pretty good. It could be that we're hyping thia game up to be gamefreaks passion project when to them it might not be. Hopefully they have just been working on legends arceus for so long that covid didn't affect them too bad.

Now a best case scenario would be its releasing so early in the year to make room for dlc to drop by the end of 2022 for LA and then announce gen 9 in February of 2023 for an end of year release.

I don't think they will do DLC for LA for a number of reasons.
1. If LA flops (Since its not the conventional game for them, so they won't know how it will sell), they basically wasted resources, time and money on a DLC they cannot sell
2. If its true LA doesn't have Online Connectivity, you will not even be able to download DLC in the first place.

2. If its true LA doesn't have Online Connectivity, you will not even be able to download DLC in the first place.
Was it said that it won’t have online connectivity or just that it was single player? Because I really can’t see them foregoing online altogether with Mystery Gifts and Events being popular.

I'm really confused about this situation and these posts highlight exactly why
I don't think we'll see any main series games released the same year as GameFreak's big, ambitious project that is so large that the torch of creating a remake was passed onto another studio.
I fully agree with this one.
I’m curious as to why you would find this odd. If anything it’s highly atypical for us to get more than one mainline game in the same year.
But on the flip side they usually do reserve their end of year holiday slot for the main games, and with reason since that’s the most profitable time to release a game for the year. So is indeed unusual if they’re abandoning it in 2022.

For a game in late 2022 I think it could go either way.

But on the flip side they usually do reserve their end of year holiday slot for the main games, and with reason since that’s the most profitable time to release a game for the year. So is indeed unusual if they’re abandoning it in 2022.

For a game in late 2022 I think it could go either way.
But they also don’t always release a game during every holiday season. Personally, I think it’s more likely that they would wait all the way until late 2023 than for them to release gen 9 or something so soon after Legends. But Legends proves that releasing games during other parts are of the year isn’t out of the question anyway.

1. If LA flops (Since its not the conventional game for them, so they won't know how it will sell), they basically wasted resources, time and money on a DLC they cannot sell
What? A game not being able to be played online doesn't mean it can't get dlc. You can't play with other people in BoTW but it has dlc. As long as the switch can go onto the e shop you can get dlc for any game. Being single player with no online functions doesn't mean it can't have dlc.

But they also don’t always release a game during every holiday season. Personally, I think it’s more likely that they would wait all the way until late 2023 than for them to release gen 9 or something so soon after Legends. But Legends proves that releasing games during other parts are of the year isn’t out of the question anyway.
There’s a reason almost all of the contemporary releases have been holiday season. The last time day did a non-holiday season release is too back in time for me to even remember. And it had a reason- sales. They won’t ditch the sweet holiday season of 2022 for nothing. A game may or may not be released but it’s definitely a weird choice releasing a game early in the year and leaving the holiday season blank, unless they are releasing a Switch Pro to coincide with Legends, but I’m not sure about that theory as well.

There’s a reason almost all of the contemporary releases have been holiday season. The last time day did a non-holiday season release is too back in time for me to even remember. And it had a reason- sales. They won’t ditch the sweet holiday season of 2022 for nothing. A game may or may not be released but it’s definitely a weird choice releasing a game early in the year and leaving the holiday season blank, unless they are releasing a Switch Pro to coincide with Legends, but I’m not sure about that theory as well.
I am aware, yeah, but it honestly depends on what kind game LA is. Right now, it doesn’t seem likely to me that it deserves any less than other remakes in terms of maintaining it’s time as the most current game. If anything, it looks like it deserves more at the moment which would mean that we’d skip this holiday and wait until the next.

I highly doubt Legends is going to flop. It has too much going for it, a lot of it being stuff pokemon fans have wanted since the switch to 3D in XY.

I mean look at LGPE. Despite being another Kanto remake with Go mechanics, it still sold 13.28 million in just short of three years of existence. That's more than FRLG's 12 mill. Looking at all the sales charts, the absolute worst selling pokemon games were spin offs, but the worst mainline game was Crystal at 6.39 mill. So since it falls under the mainline banner since it expands on the main story...I highly doubt it's even going to pull in that little. BDSP might, but that's only because of people not liking the style. I mean they might be the worst selling remakes at the rate the pre-release chatter is. But Legends still has what a lot of people were hoping for in a DPPt remake.

Gen 9 probably won't be announced a month after Legends. If anything, it's probably going to be more like around the time of the next E3 or sometime during the 3rd or 4th quarter directs. That will give Legends a lot of time to sell and/or get DLC before the new generation is released at the end of 2023.

Like I said in the Gen 9 prediction thread, they're probably releasing BDSP this year to give it a few months of sales before the game they're EXPECTING to sell more outshines it. By releasing Gen 9 a year and a half after Legends will give it more than enough time sell a ton of copies before the games that WILL sell more upon release happen.

Like I said in the Gen 9 prediction thread, they're probably releasing BDSP this year to give it a few months of sales before the game they're EXPECTING to sell more outshines it. By releasing Gen 9 a year and a half after Legends will give it more than enough time sell a ton of copies before the games that WILL sell more upon release happen.
They should have made the gap between BDSP and Legends more substantial, but whatever. I get the feeling that they don't care about BDSP all that much.

It's completely possible that they spread out the DLC to compensate for the pandemic last year, and that BDSP was supposed to be last year's game. It's also entirely possible that they just felt obligated and/or were forced into making a faithful remake of a popular generation instead of just doing a prequel, hence the outsourcing. We just don't know these things and I doubt we will ever know for sure.

Besides, they could have easily released all three games at the same time. If they did, it wouldn't give BDSP any chance.

Last edited:
It's completely possible that they spread out the DLC to compensate for the pandemic last year, and that BDSP was supposed to be last year's game. It's also entirely possible that they just felt obligated and/or were forced into making a faithful remake of a popular generation instead of just doing a prequel, hence the outsourcing. We just don't know these things and I doubt we will ever know for sure.

Besides, they could have easily released all three games at the same time. If they did, it wouldn't give BDSP any chance.
Last years game was sword and shields dlc though. And it was announced in January before the pandemic really hit anywhere hard (besides china I think, I could be wrong about that but the dlc was in development far longer than January anyway) bdsp was not planned for last year.

It's completely possible that they spread out the DLC to compensate for the pandemic last year, and that BDSP was supposed to be last year's game.
The DLC was announced in January 2020 (before most people knew what Covid-19 was) and the second half was promised for Fall 2020, so there's no reason to suspect that BDSP were meant to be released around the same time. There were zero delays for the DLC.

It's also entirely possible that they just felt obligated and/or were forced into making a faithful remake of a popular generation instead of just doing a prequel, hence the outsourcing.
That's very likely.

DLC for Legends would make a lot more sense than a rushed generation, which would severely hamper Legends' sales. Could you imagine a new generation being just announced just a month after Legends' release date? I can't.
That's one of the reasons why I don't expect to see Gen 9 next year.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom