• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

This thought is extremely tangential, but here goes:

Every time I see the "Galaxy Expedition Team" my brain thinks of Explorers of Sky. I wonder if this game will capture any of the feel of the mystery dungeon games story or gameplay wise.

What I mean by that is like: going to a place as a team of people to solve a mystery/find hidden area by solving simple puzzles.

You apparently have a rank as well. I hope there are quests other than the Pokedex stuff that can increase your rank.

My guess is Hisuian Growlithe was featured because it's this game's equivalent to wooloo- just an easily popular meme-ishly appealing design. Everyone loves a doofy good boy. I don't even really like the design much and I still think it's a doofy good boy.
You're also forgetting that people have been wanting a regional Growlithe since regional forms were a thing. Remember all the water/fire Alolan Growlithe rumors? I think at this point, between Gen VII and now, Game Freak or Nintendo or someone had to have picked up on that.

I'm also predicting a lot of disappointment when it is inevitably reveled that Arcanine looks like this:
Shiisaa_P5R.jpg

You're also forgetting that people have been wanting a regional Growlithe since regional forms were a thing. Remember all the water/fire Alolan Growlithe rumors? I think at this point, between Gen VII and now, Game Freak or Nintendo or someone had to have picked up on that.

I'm also predicting a lot of disappointment when it is inevitably reveled that Arcanine looks like this:
How is that disappointing when it's practically based on it already?

How is that disappointing when it's practically based on it already?
People wanting something awesome looking and getting something that doesn't meet their expectations (see the human-like nose and teeth).

Much like how people were predicting Alolan Persian was going to be a sleek black cat with glowing eyes....and not an allusion to real life persians but with a big round head and tiny body.

Not really forgetting, it's just that I don't think that was the reason they chose it. The whole demand for a regional variant growlithe is really fanbase exclusive, not geared toward the broader audience, and fire/rock isn't exactly the variant anyone dreamed of- the popular vote was for a water-type, fire/rock is barely a change from plain fire, and a 4x weakness to Water and Ground isn't anything to sing about.

Doofy good boy is just a cute design.

This isn't that likely but i had a random thought that I feel like sharing

If we're assuming there are some roadblocks to each area(the map in the trailer having them covered by clouds, might be just cause the player hasn't went there yet even tho they can), and if growlithe is related to the "pokeride" feature, what if arcanine can help melt the snow blocking your path in that northwestern area

I do think that it's more likely it was revealed for the same reason as wooloo and/or make people look forward to hisuian arcanine reveal

This isn't that likely but i had a random thought that I feel like sharing

If we're assuming there are some roadblocks to each area(the map in the trailer having them covered by clouds, might be just cause the player hasn't went there yet even tho they can), and if growlithe is related to the "pokeride" feature, what if arcanine can help melt the snow blocking your path in that northwestern area

I do think that it's more likely it was revealed for the same reason as wooloo and/or make people look forward to hisuian arcanine reveal

Yeah, about that, what are we basing the blocked off areas on? I'm sure it wasn't the map, because that is a classic "you haven't been there yet" kind of cloud cover. I think there was text or something somewhere that said we would unlock some areas with our team rank or something?

I really hope that it'll be "there are some minor obstacles that need to be cleared or you'll need a ride to get past it" and not "dude at gate stops you from going there" kind of blocks.

Last edited:
Every time I see the "Galaxy Expedition Team" my brain thinks of Explorers of Sky. I wonder if this game will capture any of the feel of the mystery dungeon games story or gameplay wise.
That reminds me, I wonder if there was a specific reason why they altered it in the English translation when in Japanese the groups name is exactly the same as Cyrus' group in D/P/P. :unsure:

Yeah I don’t foresee anything unexpected for Hisuian Arcanine. I’m getting big Galarian Ponyta vibes from this… many people (myself included) thought Rapidash would be a winged thing, or have some noticeable addition to its Kantonian form, but it ended up just being Rapidash with the colors and feel of Galarian Ponyta applied to it.

Y'know assuming Wyrdeer and Basculeigon evolve from the regular pokemon, similar to how gen 4 added new evolutions. I wonder if they will also add more baby Pokemon too.
Granted baby Pokemon are basically useless imo. But i don't know how Gamefreak feels about them so it may be possible, if breeding is even a thing which it might actually not, because you would think hatching a Pokemon would be required for Pokedex completion if it was.

Y'know assuming Wyrdeer and Basculeigon evolve from the regular pokemon, similar to how gen 4 added new evolutions. I wonder if they will also add more baby Pokemon too.
Granted baby Pokemon are basically useless imo. But i don't know how Gamefreak feels about them so it may be possible, if breeding is even a thing which it might actually not, because you would think hatching a Pokemon would be required for Pokedex completion if it was.
Yeah, maybe baby pokemon are useless in battle but I adore each of them and I think they richen the lore and the family line. I wouldn't say no to them.

Also, baby pokemon make some pokemon more useful in the early game. We have wild baby pokemon for a while so having a baby form of a usually late game pokemon like I don't know bouffalant or turtonator make them more accessible in the main playthrough. For example elekid and magby were present really early in B2W2 and made it easier to use magmortar and electivire.

For ideas, I, like everyone else, want to see a baby pokemon who ties tauros and miltank like how tyrouge tied hitmons. Maybe a baby lapras to counter munclax, I don't know why but lapras and snorlax are pairs in my eyes for some reason.

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn’t mind getting new pre-evolutions for single stage Pokémon because I really like evolving Pokémon. It’s a satisfying goal to reach and has partially driven some playthroughs of mine. My main issue is that baby Pokémon come across as inconveniences due to their inability to breed, oftentimes more inconvenient evolution methods (e.g. friendship), and often require incenses to be breed.

Last edited:
I think it'd be nice to maybe see an update of the Baby stage concept to make them more appealing. Not sure what benefits they could implement other than exclusive egg moves, though. Maybe extra stat gain? Though I'm sure nothing would take away the annoyance people have at their inconveniences.

Just checked the Bulbapedia page on Baby Pokemon and was surprised to see that we'd actually received one recently- it totally slipped my mind that Toxel might be a Baby stage. So I guess the concept isn't dead, at least. That's got to somewhat improve the chances of getting some more eventually, right?

Personally I'd like to see more baby Pokemon introduced. Although I think I'd rather they were given to Pokemon that didn't need an evolution more. (unless they can get both like Roselia in gen 4)

For arguments sake though....is it necessary for a new pre-evolution that is introduced to actually be a baby Pokemon? I mean, I think most people would agree that Deerling is based off a young deer (a fawn) as the Pokemon that evolves into Sawsbuck, but it's not considered a baby Pokemon.

So by that logic wouldn't it be possible to introduce a "young" version of an existing Pokemon that isn't considered a baby Pokemon?

For arguments sake though....is it necessary for a new pre-evolution that is introduced to actually be a baby Pokemon? I mean, I think most people would agree that Deerling is based off a young deer (a fawn) as the Pokemon that evolves into Sawsbuck, but it's not considered a baby Pokemon.

So by that logic wouldn't it be possible to introduce a "young" version of an existing Pokemon that isn't considered a baby Pokemon?

Practically speaking, I think this would be perfectly possible to do... it's just that baby Pokémon happen to be one of those areas where GF are weirdly committed to preserving the "canon." So like, they go out of their way to justify "why we never saw these Pokémon before" by making them unable to breed themselves (which is really the only thing separating baby Pokémon from regular basic Pokémon like Deerling) and by requiring incense to even obtain one through breeding. You know, lest someone begin to wonder why Snorlax in Gen 3 couldn't produce Munchlax.

Baby Pokémon could be, and indeed have been, useful for making certain evolutionary families more accessible at earlier points in the game than they normally would be (such as with Budew in DPP, or Elekid/Magby in B2W2), which is ideally the main reason why you would introduce a Pokémon like that, but that's not usually how they've been employed, leading to a not-uncommon and not-unreasonable feeling that they just end up serving as Dex filler.

But hey, GF also break their own rules all the time, so maybe they've gotten over that by now.

Legit the only time I've ever been dealing with incense and thought to myself "Huh, you know, that actually makes sense" is when I wanted a Kantonian Mr. Mime in SwSh with my own OT. All Mime Jr. in SwSh invariably evolve into Galarian Mr. Mime, and the only Kantonian Mr. Mime comes through an in-game trade, but you can take advantage of a loophole by breeding Kantonian Mr. Mime without an incense in order to produce more Kantonian Mr. Mime.

But that's like... an extremely situational application at best, and plenty of people have already suggested the implementation of something like a charm or a stone that could grant you more direct control over regional variant evolution. So they could still plausibly ditch incense altogether and come up with a different workaround if they really wanted to. I guess it's just easier to leave it as it is.

My guess is Hisuian Growlithe was featured because it's this game's equivalent to wooloo- just an easily popular meme-ishly appealing design. Everyone loves a doofy good boy. I don't even really like the design much and I still think it's a doofy good boy.

Screaming as I back up over my suggestion that doofy good boy is just cute- I just realized as I was replying to another thread that Arcanine is the Legendary Pokemon. Being featured in a Legends game. Maybe not a coincidence.

A few things I've noticed:
1) In the first shot of the trailer you can hear bidoof and starly's cries, both of them are on screen in the grass. If you pay attention, however, while the trailer changes shot to show the kricketots, you can clearly hear Staraptor's cry, even if the pokemon is not on screen in that moment. This probably confirms that some pokemon will fly around in the sky of the region (even if the trailer did not show them) and you may need something to attract them like in sw/sh.
2) During the Ponytas shot, we can see that GF has finally provided the pokemon a decent animation for turning around. However, in these shots, pokemon seem a bit too static, they just stand or walk in the wild. I hope GF will implement some sort of interaction with the environment or between the pokemon.

2.jpg

3) When the female character jumps off the snowy mountain to fly with Braviary, you can see the pokemon taking altitude and in another shot braviary is like diving from the sky. This problably means flying in this game is more complex than simply gliding in BOTW. Also, while flying on Braviary, sometimes we can see the wind next to its wings. Probably there's a fast travel mechanic even when flying. If you pay attention, there's also wind while riding Wyrdeer on the ground in one shot.
3.jpg

4) When you are in stealth mode, the corners of the screen become black. This will probably help us understand when the pokemon see us or not.
4.jpg

5) When you are attacked by a pokemon, another animation of the screen appears. I think this will replace the health bar. The screen will become more black while you take more damage and finally will turn red before you black out. Probably, if you don't black out, after a specific amount of time the screeen will go back to normal.
5.jpg

6) The official site clearly mentions that you can fall from a cliff and die, so no more invisible walls (finally!)
7) Pokemon have different sizes in the game like it was in Let's go games but this time we can see the differences in the overworld. Also, when pokemon go mad they apparently grow in size. When can see Ursaring (5'11" - 1.8m) being way taller than Rhydon (6'03" - 1.9m).
7.jpg

8) Apparently GF finally fixed moves' spawn animation. We can see Magmortar shooting fire from its hands.
8.jpg

9) There are a lot of sofisticated ruins across the region. It's obvious someone lived there before the arrival of Team Galaxy.
10) In the main village, GF has removed the stairs from the lookout point seen in the first trailer. Or maybe they will be added or removed during the day.
10.jpg

11) The largest amount of pokemon seen on the screen in the wild at the same time is 9.
11.jpg

12) In the village we can see people standing out of their houses/shops. I hope they are not there to block you from entering the houses.
12.jpg

13) At the beginning of the game, you have to show Team Galaxy your value to join the team. This means you are probably native of the Hisui region or at least you don't reach Hisui with them.
14) Now pokemon react if you catch another pokemon of their specie next to them. We can see the trainer catching a Wurmple and the other Wurmple turning around to see his friend disappear. This didn't happen in the first trailer with Shinx. (Or maybe Wurmples are just more sensitive than Shinxs).
14.jpg

15) When the lightning appears, you can see red, blue and green lights coming from it. The same lights that appear when Dialga and Palkia are evocated in d/p.
15.jpg

16) In the trailer we can see the entrance of at least two caves.

16.jpg

17) GF has fixed the terrible frame rate of the first trailer but there are still too many textures that look really low quality.

Last edited:
A few things I've noticed:
1) In the first shot of the trailer you can hear bidoof and starly's cries, both of them are on screen in the grass. If you pay attention, however, while the trailer changes shot to show the kricketots, you can clearly hear Staraptor's cry, even if the pokemon is not on screen in that moment. This probably confirms that some pokemon will fly around in the sky of the region (even if the trailer did not show them) and you may need something to attract them like in sw/sh.
2) During the Ponytas shot, we can see that GF has finally provided the pokemon a decent animation for turning around. However, in these shots, pokemon seem a bit too static, they just stand or walk in the wild. I hope GF will implement some sort of interaction with the environment or between the pokemon.

View attachment 149532
3) When the female character jumps off the snowy mountain to fly with Braviary, you can see the pokemon taking altitude and in another shot braviary is like diving from the sky. This problably means flying in this game is more complex than simply gliding in BOTW. Also, while flying on Braviary, sometimes we can see the wind next to its wings. Probably there's a fast travel mechanic even when flying. If you pay attention, there's also wind while riding Wyrdeer on the ground in one shot.
View attachment 149533
4) When you are in stealth mode, the corners of the screen become black. This will probably help us understand when the pokemon see us or not.
View attachment 149534
5) When you are attacked by a pokemon, another animation of the screen appears. I think this will replace the health bar. The screen will become more black while you take more damage and finally will turn red before you black out. Probably, if you don't black out, after a specific amount of time the screeen will go back to normal.
View attachment 149535
6) The official site clearly mentions that you can fall from a cliff and die, so no more invisible walls (finally!)
7) Pokemon have different sizes in the game like it was in Let's go games but this time we can see the differences in the overworld. Also, when pokemon go mad they apparently grow in size. When can see Ursaring (5'11" - 1.8m) being way taller than Rhydon (6'03" - 1.9m).
View attachment 149536
8) Apparently GF finally fixed moves' spawn animation. We can see Magmortar shooting fire from its hands.View attachment 149537
9) There are a lot of sofisticated ruins across the region. It's obvious someone lived there before the arrival of Team Galaxy.
10) In the main village, GF has removed the stairs from the lookout point seen in the first trailer. Or maybe they will be added or removed during the day.View attachment 149538
11) The largest amount of pokemon seen on the screen in the wild at the same time is 9.View attachment 149539
12) In the village we can see people standing out of their houses/shops. I hope they are not there to block you from entering the houses.View attachment 149540
13) At the beginning of the game, you have to show Team Galaxy your value to join the team. This means you are probably native of the Hisui region or at least you don't reach Hisui with them.
14) Now pokemon react if you catch another pokemon of their specie next to them. We can see the trainer catching a Wurmple and the other Wurmple turning around to see his friend disappear. This didn't happen in the first trailer with Shinx. (Or maybe Wurmples are just more sensitive than Shinxs).View attachment 149541
15) When the lightning appears, you can see red, blue and green lights coming from it. The same lights that appear when Dialga and Palkia are evocated in d/p.View attachment 149542
16) In the trailer we can see the entrance of at least two caves.

View attachment 149543
17) GF has fixed the terrible frame rate of the first trailer but there are still too many textures that look really low quality.

The staraptor is probably just off-screen behind you or something, as we can see pretty clearly via the braviary flight feature that the sky isn't populated. =/

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom