• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

You know, something I'm wondering is if we'll be able to see Pokémon battling in the wild where we just have to hide in the grass or behind cover and just watch them battle, but not interfere. We might even record the victor and see how Pokémon interact with one another and possibly if one Pokémon has an edge in the wild against another. It would be interesting and there could be many interesting research tasks given based on that.

There's a lot of little things that were shown off with the recent Presents that I am really excited to see in this game.

I know I've said this multiple times already I'm sure, but I love the focus this game puts on the catching and discovering of Pokemon. In the past, while catching Pokemon was fun, it always felt more like you were unlocking a dex entry. Since this game's main focus is catching and studying wild Pokemon though, they seem to have added a lot more stuff you can actually do with each Pokemon, to get to know more about them.

View attachment 149553

This has probably been mentioned on this thread before, but each Pokemon has this list of Research tasks. So there seems to be way more to do beyond just catching the Pokemon and unlocking its dex entry. One thing I'm pretty curious about is the Research level. The research level appears to be just for this Pokemon, but I don't want to say for sure. And does this level have any effects in-game? If the level is for the individual Pokemon, I could see this as the new Shiny hunting mechanic. The higher the research level you have for a Pokemon, the better chance you have of encountering a shiny.

View attachment 149554

Another little thing that I'm interested in is the food. We've already seen berry trees in this game, and Sword and Shield introduced the concept of cooking meals in a Pokemon game with food that wasn't cute Pokemon treats. I wonder if we'll randomly find some of these foods on the ground like items, or if we'll have to gather them from certain areas. Or, maybe we'll have to buy them in the village. It's such a little thing, but I think it will be fun discovering what foods a Pokemon likes. I also wonder if these foods will be able to be used as lures for the Pokemon, like for the Pokemon who are more scared of people.

Speaking of catching Pokemon, I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate the new catching animation.

View attachment 149555

It was shown off in the original trailer too, I just hadn't noticed it until this one. It's just a little time period detail I really appreciate.

View attachment 149557

While we're talking appreciation, I have to mention the freaking sky in this game! It is absolutely gorgeous. I'll admit while the game looks better than any Pokemon game out there, it still doesn't look the best. Not that I mind all that much, I still loved SwSh and there were areas that just looked gross. But if there's an area where this game excels graphically, it's the sky. Gosh, that stuff looks even better than BOTW. It almost looks like a painting and really adds this feeling of magic to the overall look of the game. I'm sure I'll be spending tons of time just looking up at the sky (will probably get attacked by tons of wild Pokemon while I do so.

View attachment 149556

This game also appears to do a better job with the wild Pokemon. Yes, most still seem a little static, just running/flying around, But they did seem a little more aware.

View attachment 149558

I mean, look at this Buizel here. It's sleeping and gets up when the trainer approaches it. So, maybe some Pokemon (hopefully most of them) will have some other animation they can do besides just walking/standing around.

Last thing I wanted to mention is the battles, specifically the fact that they are overworld now.

View attachment 149559

I really like how the battles are actually in the overworld now. SwSh's lack of proper battle backgrounds was rather disappointing (not to mention immersion-breaking like when you fished in Motostoke or Hulbury and then it just gave you this route for a battle background), but honestly the switch to battling/catching Pokemon has felt pretty stale for awhile now. Legit having to throw out my Pokemon to engage in the battle makes it that much more immersive and fun.

View attachment 149562

This is a really cool example of overworld battling here. It's in the water, so the trainer has to ride on their Basculegion while in battle. I was always mildly bothered by the "oh, here's this random little island on the water that I can stand now that I entered this Pokemon battle." So this makes a lot more sense. Like now water Pokemon can actually look like they're battling from the water. One thing I am concerned about is battling Pokemon in the water when you don't have an aquatic or flying Pokemon. Will they be given some sort of platform? Will we have to direct the wild Pokemon over to the shore to battle them? Or we just not be able to battle Pokemon living in the rivers and sees with land-based Pokemon?

Well, that's all I could think of. This game definitely has me hyped. I can't wait to see what this different kind of adventure will entail.
I think we will probably be gathering food and materials from the environment, like in BotW. We do see the trainer's lucario kicking down some apricorns from a tree.

It is an interesting point about water battles, though, maybe we'll see some swimming animations. I would be really interested to see that for a pokemon like Magmar.

Guys, Pokemon have different sizes, believe it or not.
E9bI4CPWQAU8C3x
Even the pokedex mentions it.
So, I'd say it has been advertised as such.

How ironic that 150-200 years ago scientists knew more about Pokemon sizes than they do now.
In Sootopolis, there are two brothers who ask you to bring the largest pokemon of their choice, so NPCs are aware that there are different sizes of pokemon.

Also, Pumpkaboo says hi.

The research level appears to be just for this Pokemon, but I don't want to say for sure. And does this level have any effects in-game? If the level is for the individual Pokemon, I could see this as the new Shiny hunting mechanic. The higher the research level you have for a Pokemon, the better chance you have of encountering a shiny.
I'm almost certain that research level will be per Pokemon. I think it's save to assume that if you reach a certain research level (e.g. 10 with that Shinx), the Pokedex for that Species will be completed. Presumably each Pokemon will require different research level to complete their entry (based on stage? rarity?). Additionally, when watching the gameplay breakdown for the Pokedex, I noticed that the task with a red upward icon in it will grant double the level.

Yes, I believe this could be a new Shiny hunting mechanic, and I'm absolutely happy if that's the case. I haven't been very lucky (or patient enough) to encounter a Shiny with the mechanics before and my completionist self will definitely try to do every task there is for every Pokemon. I'm curious, though, of whether a Shiny variant will have any significance for the Pokedex or at least trigger some sort of reaction from the Professor. Like, he'd say: "Oh, blimey! That's a weirdly coloured Shinx you've got there." or something.

gameplay_pokedex_2.jpg

Another little thing that I'm interested in is the food. We've already seen berry trees in this game, and Sword and Shield introduced the concept of cooking meals in a Pokemon game with food that wasn't cute Pokemon treats. I wonder if we'll randomly find some of these foods on the ground like items, or if we'll have to gather them from certain areas. Or, maybe we'll have to buy them in the village. It's such a little thing, but I think it will be fun discovering what foods a Pokemon likes. I also wonder if these foods will be able to be used as lures for the Pokemon, like for the Pokemon who are more scared of people.
Interestingly enough, there's an item that looked like a rice ball that you can buy in the base camp. Maybe certain foods will be available to be bought while others needs to be collected. I hope that foods will have some sort of significance like that and not just a mere cosmetic.

PBkFgSo.png

But if there's an area where this game excels graphically, it's the sky. Gosh, that stuff looks even better than BOTW. It almost looks like a painting and really adds this feeling of magic to the overall look of the game.
Completely agree. I've been thinking about this since the first trailer, but seeing the night sky, it was gorgeous. I've seen someone suggest that the art-style is inspired by Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji, and I could see that.

One thing I am concerned about is battling Pokemon in the water when you don't have an aquatic or flying Pokemon. Will they be given some sort of platform? Will we have to direct the wild Pokemon over to the shore to battle them? Or we just not be able to battle Pokemon living in the rivers and sees with land-based Pokemon?
I hope that it's the latter two. That way, the team building and the battle could be more strategic than before.

Last edited:
In Sootopolis, there are two brothers who ask you to bring the largest pokemon of their choice, so NPCs are aware that there are different sizes of pokemon.

Also, Pumpkaboo says hi.
Do they have detailed measurements? The modern Pokedex certainly doesn't.

Interestingly enough, there's an item that looked like a rice ball that you can buy in the base camp. Maybe certain foods will be available to be bought while others needs to be collected. I hope that foods will have some sort of significance like that and not just a mere cosmetic.

The Pokedex lists each Pokemon's preferred foods. This kind of reminds me of a game called Nexomon where each monster had preferred foods and you could buy foods in town and feed enemy Nexomon in battle to make them easier to catch. This would also be similar in pokemon to the Safari Zone or LGPE with berries. It would be kind of cool if you could place food down and Pokemon would come to it, or something similar.

This is totally tangential, but it seems like sprites are being phased out. Menu icons in BDSP and item icons in Legends aren’t sprites like in previous generations, which makes me a bit sad since A) sprites are easier to edit and build upon in my opinion, and B) I feel like sprites added a nice bit of charm while non-sprites come across as a little bland.

This is totally tangential, but it seems like sprites are being phased out. Menu icons in BDSP and item icons in Legends aren’t sprites like in previous generations, which makes me a bit sad since A) sprites are easier to edit and build upon in my opinion, and B) I feel like sprites added a nice bit of charm while non-sprites come across as a little bland.
I certainly would have found it more immersive had the PokéDex entries used something like ink drawings of the Pokémon for their entries rather than the 3D models in a blank void. :unsure:

Last edited:
Stumbled upon this-

Kinda puts a bullet in the size difference theory when the trailer footage for different countries is showing evidence of coming from different builds. Notice the trainer's pose differences in some clips.

(Ugh sorry if that video is showing up awkwardly, posting YouTube videos on mobile has proven to be a pain in the ass.)

Last edited:
In the Italian trailer, the guy in the village who wants to see a Wurmple, litterally says "A small Wurmple". Not counting that the pokedex itself mentions the size differences for pokemon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210829-185625_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210829-185625_YouTube.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 24
In the Italian trailer, the guy in the village who wants to see a Wurmple, litterally says "A small Wurmple". Not counting that the pokedex itself mentions the size differences for pokemon.

Well yeah, but are they going to be visible differences or will it be more like Go and Let's Go where it just claims there's a size difference without actually showing one? I don't think we've seen any pokemon of the same species in varying sizes actually share the same screen yet so it's hard to say whether the foreign language trailers are showing a legitimate in-game size difference or just size tweaks between builds.

Also I dunno, you could ask to see a little Wurmple without meaning a smaller than average Wurmple. Wurmple in general are pretty small.

Well yeah, but are they going to be visible differences or will it be more like Go and Let's Go where it just claims there's a size difference without actually showing one? I don't think we've seen any pokemon of the same species in varying sizes actually share the same screen yet so it's hard to say whether the foreign language trailers are showing a legitimate in-game size difference or just size tweaks between builds.
And the question is: why would they program pokemon of different sizes in different builds if Pokemon had just a single size in the game?

Why would anything else change size? The trainer and environment are a reference point, but the pokemon probably have to be adjusted relative to each other and the trainer model.
I don't think so. They've used the same models for amost 10 years, right now they should know how big pokemon are compared to other pokemon before programming them in the game, don't you think? And, btw, some Pokemon change size significally in different builds and we are 5 months away from release. Are they really still programming the pokemon sizes instead of working on those textures?
Pokemon have clearly different sizes imo and the fact that different trailers show it and the pokedex itself mentions it for me it is enough to believe it.

I'm not believing or assuming anything not explicitly advertised to be a feature. This could easily be different builds having different sizes- the precedent is that size is never reflected in the models (except Pumpkaboo) so I see no reason to conclude that this is suddenly the case because different builds of the game supposedly reflect it.

Also those Wurmple are hilariously different in size. That would be wild if the size differences are real and that extreme.

I'm not believing or assuming anything not explicitly advertised to be a feature. This could easily be different builds having different sizes- the precedent is that size is never reflected in the models (except Pumpkaboo) so I see no reason to conclude that this is suddenly the case because different builds of the game supposedly reflect it.

Also those Wurmple are hilariously different in size. That would be wild if the size differences are real and that extreme.
Oh, you can think whatever you want. But size differences have been explicitly advertised considering the pokedex mentions them and the trailers show them. If this is not the case, then they shouldn't have put them in the trailer, considering that's the way you advertise things, you know. ;)

I actually saw a video a couple days ago talking about the different sizes. CentroPokemon was reporting on stuff revealed from the Japanese website

Here’s the video I watched.

If you don’t want to watch the video, the tweets talking about the Japanese version are in the description.

Most importantly, here’s the tweets comparing stuff from the Japanese one to the English that looks like confirmation of different Pokémon sizes

Edit: Also worth mentioning that when I went to look for and post the video, there’s a new one from 4 hours ago.

Edit 2: Looked into it. Some possible new info: If you were worried about only being able to do Strong style or Agile Style moves, don’t worry, you can use regular moves (Priority moves like Aqua Jet can increase the amount of turns you have). Video was posted of Starly seeing you and flying away. If you’re too close to your Pokémon when an opposing Pokémon lands a hit, you can be hurt too. There’s a black frame around you to measure how much damage you take, with it going red if you’re in the danger zone.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom