• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Some things (images are from Serebii's Pre-Release screenshot)

128.jpg

Some sub-area of Obsidian Fieldlands are greyed out (kind of), except for the top-left and bottom-right ones. The ones that aren't greyed out have a scroll and their name on it, so maybe to indicate that the area has been explored? IDK.

129.jpg

So apparently we'll lose our items if we black-out. Except if we have this green charm thingy. And there's 5 colour variant to it, which is weird if that's the only function it has.

128.jpg

Some sub-area of Obsidian Fieldlands are greyed out (kind of), except for the top-left and bottom-right ones. The ones that aren't greyed out have a scroll and their name on it, so maybe to indicate that the area has been explored? IDK.
The fact that the grayed out areas have the yellow icons on them make me think they have been explored. Not sure what else the gray could mean though, guess its possible the icons were placed from afar like that one function in botw
129.jpg

So apparently we'll lose our items if we black-out. Except if we have this green charm thingy. And there's 5 colour variant to it, which is weird if that's the only function it has.
Odds are the different colors have different effects. They are just the same charm design wise so they have the same name.
(Also side note, wonder what the little circular icon next to the gender icon could be for)

The fact that the grayed out areas have the yellow icons on them make me think they have been explored. Not sure what else the gray could mean though, guess its possible the icons were placed from afar like that one function in botw

Odds are the different colors have different effects. They are just the same charm design wise so they have the same name.
(Also side note, wonder what the little circular icon next to the gender icon could be for)
Maybe if it is an Alpha? You can see the symbol more clearly in anothe rpart of the trailer.

Maybe if it is an Alpha? You can see the symbol more clearly in anothe rpart of the trailer.
If that is the case, makes me wonder if Alpha Pokemon are just generally stronger, even after you have caught them. Might make them objectively better party members if its too drastic though. Or if its just a case of being able to know if it was an alpha Pokemon... just because, with it not really meaning anything.

I'm guessing that the yellow icons are just stamps you can put anywhere in your map (as you said, like in BotW) and the only purpose it does in this image is to show that it can be done.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. But it's still weird that they choose to design the items similarly if that's it's only purpose.
And good catch with that icon.

If that is the case, makes me wonder if Alpha Pokemon are just generally stronger, even after you have caught them. Might make them objectively better party members if its too drastic though. Or if its just a case of being able to know if it was an alpha Pokemon... just because, with it not really meaning anything.

The website seems to imply that they are stronger even after being caught. They surely will be better party members, but if only you can catch them.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus website said:
"They’re tough opponents, but they’ll become great allies if you manage to catch them."

By the way, this Kleavor proves GF gives branched evolutions now. The last time they did that, was Mime Jr., then Eevee is Gen 6. But Mime Jr got a regional evolution, but can be thought of as a different pokemon because different elements. But Kleavor is the 1st regional evolution to give a new pokedex #.
Oh yea, forgot to include Exeggcute, Pikachu, Meowth, Koffing, and Cubone, along with Mime Jr's list. Having branched evo's as regional variants.

This was a pretty cool trailer. Having Wardens who take care of Noble Pokemon sounds pretty cool. It reminded me a lot of the Island Challenge from the seventh generation. I didn't really see it as Game Freak reusing an idea, but rather having a system in place that could potentially lead to the Gym and League system. Besides that, the Island Challenge was really fun and surprisingly challenging at points, so if the system here is anything like that, then I'll be pretty happy.

Mai and Arezu look cool and it's clear to see who their descendants are. I didn't pick up Lian as Clayton's ancestor at first, but I can definitely see it more in his official artwork. I figured that there would be some kind of trainer battles in the game. It would be much more rare compared to other main series games, but battling with Wardens could provide some different challenges aside from battling wild Pokemon.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Kleavor. When I saw the writeup on Serebii before I quickly watched the trailers, I thought it said a regional form of Sycther, not an evolved form. That along with the golden glow around it really threw me for a loop at first. I think it looks pretty cool and I think it's a unique way to make an ancient form of a Sycther. I don't think it stands out as much as the other regional forms/evolutions do thus far for me, but it still works and I'm sure it will grow on me more over time.

I'm glad that we have more customization options. I don't know if the outfits here stand out as much as the new outfits in BD/SP do for me, but having the options to change the player characters' appearance are always welcomed. The photos with our Pokemon were quite cute and charming too.

The Arc phone really caught me off guard, but it looks cool and I'm sure that it's going to lead us to Arceus. Having a Pokemon Ranch to take care of our Pokemon is a cute idea. Despite this taking place in the past, I honestly forgot that they'd have to find something else to store our Pokemon instead of using the PC box.
I can also see the trial captains just being what was the norm for most of the world until recent times. Its just Alola was a hold out, clinging to tradition until Kukui brought Alola into the modern day.

I can also see the trial captains just being what was the norm for most of the world until recent times. Its just Alola was a hold out, clinging to tradition until Kukui brought Alola into the modern day.
But the Trial Captains' role is to look after the Totem Pokemon and give out Z-Crystals- how would that role develop in a region with neither of those? (And from an out-of-universe perspective, I'd personally find it disappointing if the adventure that was different and culturally unique turned into "oh yeah everyone used to do it, they're just behind on updating)

But the Trial Captains' role is to look after the Totem Pokemon and give out Z-Crystals- how would that role develop in a region with neither of those? (And from an out-of-universe perspective, I'd personally find it disappointing if the adventure that was different and culturally unique turned into "oh yeah everyone used to do it, they're just behind on updating)
The wardens also look after "totem" (in this case noble) Pokemon and give access to their abilities in the field.

And yeah it would be a bit but no more than the fact that every region has 8 gyms with none being different based on their culture. Like what if some regions had 4 gyms but an elite 8? Its already an established thing in all regional that thats 8 gym leaders and an elite 4 though (except galar with its tournament in place of the elite 4)

The wardens also look after "totem" (in this case noble) Pokemon and give access to their abilities in the field.
But that can't be as common a tradition as giving out Z-Crystals. If there's only one Basculegion, they can't have a bunch of trainers earning the right to surf on it and fighting for who gets a turn.
And yeah it would be a bit but no more than the fact that every region has 8 gyms with none being different based on their culture. Like what if some regions had 4 gyms but an elite 8? Its already an established thing in all regional that thats 8 gym leaders and an elite 4 though (except galar with its tournament in place of the elite 4)
Even though "most regions have the same challenge, but one region has a unique one" isn't a huge variety, it's still better than "all regions everywhere have always had the same challenge as each other". And it's easier to accept similar leagues in a time of globalization, where countries are exchanging ideas with each other.

But that can't be as common a tradition as giving out Z-Crystals. If there's only one Basculegion, they can't have a bunch of trainers earning the right to surf on it and fighting for who gets a turn.

Keeping in mind a lot of people in this region are actually afraid of pokemon, so there probably isn't that much competition to ride the fish.

No doubt the wardens give out something, though. We know we battle Mai for whatever her something is and it's probably not going to be just the ability to ride Wyrdeer.

Keeping in mind a lot of people in this region are actually afraid of pokemon, so there probably isn't that much competition to ride the fish.
My point was in the context of saying that a system like Alola’s trials wasn’t the norm for Hisui.
I agree that there’s not going to be a lot of people using Basculegion- that was my whole point. I’m using that to say that the player’s journey is probably not as common, so it’s probably not where Alola’s trials came from. - not to say it doesn’t make sense that we as the player can use it.
No doubt the wardens give out something, though. We know we battle Mai for whatever her something is and it's probably not going to be just the ability to ride Wyrdeer.
I mean, why not? We need to explore, Nobles help us explore, but they’re important and have Wards looking over them- seems like “let me battle you so I know I can trust you!” is an easy play here.

My point was in the context of saying that a system like Alola’s trials wasn’t the norm for Hisui.

I agree that there’s not going to be a lot of people using Basculegion- that was my whole point. I’m using that to say that the player’s journey is probably not as common, so it’s probably not where Alola’s trials came from. - not to say it doesn’t make sense that we as the player can use it.

I mean, why not? We need to explore, Nobles help us explore, but they’re important and have Wards looking over them- seems like “let me battle you so I know I can trust you!” is an easy play here.

Fair point.

I think we're bound to be collecting something else from the wardens in this game because it's a main series pokemon game and that's kinda just the formula for progression. XD We didn't even really break it for Alola, even.

Plus it seems too formal for a simple case of "Aha, you beat me! Now you may ride my deer."

I mean the execution would be different based on the region, Pokemon, and battles, but I imagine it'd just be similar with just the Totem Pokemon and Z-Crystals being unique to Alola's challenges. There were probably some kind of equivalent to Captains/Wardens in each region that look after various strong Pokemon (how they're strengthened depends on the regions legendaries and burst mechanics if they have one) and gave out some sort of macguffin for beating them. The Pokemon League and the Gym Challenge probably came along later as the regions became settled, industrialized, and globalized and standardized the various local challenges with the Gym Leader/Elite 4 system we know now.

I mean the execution would be different based on the region, Pokemon, and battles, but I imagine it'd just be similar with just the Totem Pokemon and Z-Crystals being unique to Alola's challenges. There were probably some kind of equivalent to Captains/Wardens in each region that look after various strong Pokemon (how they're strengthened depends on the regions legendaries and burst mechanics if they have one) and gave out some sort of macguffin for beating them. The Pokemon League and the Gym Challenge probably came along later as the regions became settled, industrialized, and globalized and standardized the various local challenges with the Gym Leader/Elite 4 system we know now.
I just think it’s not really interesting or logical to have nature just happen to follow the same formula over and over. And if we’re allowing for different executions, I don’t see what the point is in keeping the formula of “trainer looks after strong Pokemon, and trainers go around fighting them to collect stuff” across the whole world- why can’t that change, too? If globalization lead to the standardized league (an idea that I do agree with), why do we also need similar histories everywhere to justify it further?

I just think it’s not really interesting or logical to have nature just happen to follow the same formula over and over. And if we’re allowing for different executions, I don’t see what the point is in keeping the formula of “trainer looks after strong Pokemon, and trainers go around fighting them to collect stuff” across the whole world- why can’t that change, too? If globalization lead to the standardized league (an idea that I do agree with), why do we also need similar histories everywhere to justify it further?

That's a pretty broad formula that has a lot of room for variation. What kinds of "strong Pokemon" are there? Do they have special forms? Are they being powered by the region's legendaries in some way? And what kind of "stuff" are they collecting? Do they have any effects on the battling? That's not as formulaic as you think.

As for why it would probably develop that way, strong Pokemon will have always existed for as long as Pokemon have lived in the region, so it's only natural that people would've wanted to test their strength against them. Trainers likely exist to protect both the Pokemon itself and other trainers from getting seriously injured. And once a trainer has defeated, it only seems natural to give them something to prove they defeated the Pokemon in battle. So it does seem like a pretty natural formula.

What the League probably standardized was how the Gym Leaders cared for those Pokemon, what kinds of environments they were allowed to battle in to ensure the battles were safe for both humans and Pokemon, and making the reward an official League badge to certify that they proved their skill in a League certified facility.

I was looking at the zoomed in map to see if I could find anything interesting with the placement of things. But all I found is tree circle. Everything else is just basic field land. But im sure there's interesting things actually in the game that you just cant make out on the map.
Tree-Circle.PNG

That's a pretty broad formula that has a lot of room for variation. What kinds of "strong Pokemon" are there? Do they have special forms? Are they being powered by the region's legendaries in some way? And what kind of "stuff" are they collecting? Do they have any effects on the battling? That's not as formulaic as you think.
But again, if what we want is variation- which I agree is a good thing- why do we need to keep some elements static? Why does it have to be one notable Pokemon, and not something else like a location or person?
As for why it would probably develop that way, strong Pokemon will have always existed for as long as Pokemon have lived in the region, so it's only natural that people would've wanted to test their strength against them.
Totem Pokemon and Nobles both have outside influences powering them up. There’s a strongest creature in any ecosystem, but whether that strength is enough to be interesting enough for people to journey out to it is a separate thing. There’s a queen ant in every anthill, after all.
Trainers likely exist to protect both the Pokemon itself and other trainers from getting seriously injured. And once a trainer has defeated, it only seems natural to give them something to prove they defeated the Pokemon in battle. So it does seem like a pretty natural formula.
But not all cultures think of Pokemon the same way. The trailers have discussed how some people are afraid of Pokemon, and there’s people who don’t value Pokemon beyond practical use. (the legend about a man who went around killing Pokemon, people like Team Rocket) Wouldn’t they have a different approach?
What the League probably standardized was how the Gym Leaders cared for those Pokemon, what kinds of environments they were allowed to battle in to ensure the battles were safe for both humans and Pokemon, and making the reward an official League badge to certify that they proved their skill in a League certified facility.
Seems strange that gyms today have no trace of these Pokemon remaining, to the point of even switching types or having no type specialty. If these Pokemon are culturally significant enough to have this system built around them,

But again, if what we want is variation- which I agree is a good thing- why do we need to keep some elements static? Why does it have to be one notable Pokemon, and not something else like a location or person?

Location might be feasible, if it's something like a location strengthening the Pokemon.

Totem Pokemon and Nobles both have outside influences powering them up. There’s a strongest creature in any ecosystem, but whether that strength is enough to be interesting enough for people to journey out to it is a separate thing. There’s a queen ant in every anthill, after all.

It might not matter to certain people if they're the type of person who wants to test their strength against everything.

But not all cultures think of Pokemon the same way. The trailers have discussed how some people are afraid of Pokemon, and there’s people who don’t value Pokemon beyond practical use. (the legend about a man who went around killing Pokemon, people like Team Rocket) Wouldn’t they have a different approach?

No, that's all the more reason to have someone like a Captain or Warden. If people are afraid of Pokemon, that still creates a need for someone to protect humans from them. As for people that don't value Pokemon, they'd still need a way of fighting them regardless if one came attacking.

Seems strange that gyms today have no trace of these Pokemon remaining, to the point of even switching types or having no type specialty. If these Pokemon are culturally significant enough to have this system built around them,

Those Pokemon might have been too dangerous or the outside forces too uncontrollable to be integrated into the gym system. Does Arceus really care enough to lend out its strength to gym Pokemon? I doubt it, Arceus doesn't seem to care much about testing trainers' strength, just rendering judgment when humans do something it doesn't like. But we have seen one region where there's still traces of that and that's Galar, where the gyms are designed around Dynamax. This makes a little more sense because the Power Spots are stationary and therefore they can build the giant stadium gyms around them so that challengers can consistently use Dynamax in gym battles every time (and presumably because they're stationary, they can design them to be safe to use by making the arenas sufficiently large enough to reduce the chances of stray attacks hitting spectators, and presumably other countermeasures that we can't see). We haven't seen how Alola would adapt to the Gym Challenge (I really wish we would've gotten SM2 instead of USUM to address this), but presumably because Ultra Wormholes seem to be located to certain spots of Alola and they seem to have a lot of knowledge on how to control Ultra Wormholes, they might be able to create Gym Challenges that function similarly to the Trials. The older regions probably didn't have some kind of power boosting phenomenon that could safely and reliably be adapted like Dynamax in Galar.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom