• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legends Z-A Pokemon Legends Z-A General Speculation & Discussion

I just wait until they rush at me before striking them in the back. Works most of the time for me. Sometimes I miss and don't get the backstrike and just engage the Pokemon in battle.
Fair, but you get a boost to your catch rate if they haven't noticed you yet. Is it the less fun way? Absolutely. But its so much easier I could never bring myself to not do it.-

Fair, but you get a boost to your catch rate if they haven't noticed you yet. Is it the less fun way? Absolutely. But its so much easier I could never bring myself to not do it.-
Of course, if I am able to, I do attempt to sneak up on the Pokémon and use Oran Berries to get it to turn its back to me so that I can get the backstrike.

Fun anecdote I feel is relevant. When I first played Kalos, I used a Flygon on my team because I assumed it must have a mega. Flygon isn't even a Pokemon I'm a huge fan of otherwise, but it seemed perfect to get a mega and I figured that Mega Flygon must be epic. When I found out it didn't after beating the game I was really disappointed.
o_O
Got curious, searched this up. Is this a fakemon?

Although I can sorta understand why the Gen 6 Starters didnt get Megas in Gen 6.

Imo I think it's like this:

Basically, if you design a Pokemon at the same time as it's Mega, you risk sorta underdesigning the Pokemon for the sake of having that room to "Finish it" in the Mega.

Some (but not all) of the Galar Gigantamax forms definitely started to feel like this for me at least. It really shows with The Galar Starter Trio imo. Their base designs all feel very... incomplete because they had to make room for their G-Max's to stand out

I think something that people aren't thinking about enough though is like, the design process themselves. The same way certain pokemon like Flygon didnt get a Mega probably applies to a lot of 2 Stage lines that dont get third evolutions. The design is simply "Finished" already and has reached its logical conclusion.

(Originally Flygon was slated to recieve a Mega but the artist's literally had an artist's block trying to figure out how to make a Mega Flygon design look good.
That alone proves just how much of a Peak design Flygon is already and it's really hard to expand upon it)

Megas sorta try to go beyond that finished state by breaking some of the visual rules of pokemon a bit.

This is why Mega's are not interchangeable with standard Evolutions, or why Pokemon with only 1 or even 0 Evolutions that got a Mega probably were never going to get another evolution in the first place. (Like Mawile and Sableye for instance)

Since they'd just "finished" the Kalos Starters designs at the time, it probably would have been a bad idea to immediately try to expand upon them with Megas. (And looking at the reception towards Galar they probably made the right choice)

HOWEVER, NOW that the Kalos Starter design's have matured after 10 years, it makes a lot more sense to give them Megas now since they've had more than enough time to come up with something that can expand upon their designs

You do make a compelling point as the Pokemon designers are human and aren't always able to expand on an existing point or create something new from an existing framework. Plus, if they had an idea in mind and were able to execute it to their liking, why bother adding more to it?

Personally, I just disagree with the idea that certain Pokemon designs were complete and therefore did not need a Mega Evolution. For example, I think the Galar starters already had a complete design from the beginning as they all have a progression that follows through to the end of the evolution line. The Gigantamax forms serve the purpose of using the feature on the starter Pokemon that you chose on your journey while also taking the finished evolution concept and adapting it to a giant size. Thus, in my opinion, Gigantamax forms cannot directly be translated to Mega Evolutions because Gigantamax forms were designed with their enormous size in mind. Starter pokemon are one of the main appeals of any region so a form change would make sense to apply to the starters for the sake of marketing and drawing attention towards them.

These reasons are why I think the Kalos starters should have had Mega Evolutions from the start. Not only are they tied to the region responsible for Mega Evolutions but it would also help market the starters to get fans interesting in using them. Instead, they were overshadowed by both the Kanto and Hoenn starters as they got Mega Evolutions and therefore a new reason to use them. Potential Mega Evolutions could have had a positive impact on how fans see their designs by changing their negative opinions to positive ones and helping determine which one they would like to pick.

As for the reverse argument that a Pokemon getting a Mega Evolution would exclude them from getting an evolution in general, I also disagree with it. Slowbro managed to get another form after its Mega Evolution because there was a new idea and direction to take for the evolution line. An evolution for Sableye and Mawile is still possible if there is a new idea to consider and a way to expand on their concepts without copying the designs of the Mega Evolutions. The Kalos starters have a complete design progression that still leaves room for ideas that can be expanded into Mega Evolutions. For example, Chesnaught can have a club/sword on one hand, a shield on the other and maybe even a helmet to reference Chespin and Quilladen. Delphox could have its wand expand to a staff with its fur becoming a complete wizard robe or turn into a full-on witch by riding on a broomstick that's floating in the air. Finally, Greninja can take inspiration from the Ash-Greninja form while incorporating other elements like a straw hat (made of water obviously), throwing stars/kunai and even the bubbles from Froakie and Frogadier.

i dont think we can predict what starters will be based on where the animals theyre based on come from. thats never been the case before, and they didnt do that with the legends arceus starters

they didnt do that with the legends arceus starters
To a certain extend they did, Hisui is based on Hokkaido, the natives of Hokkaido are the Ainu, the Sea Otter is an important part of Ainu culture (Oshawott), and they have an Owl god (Rowlet).
I suppose It could be a coincidence but with how much research gamefreak does I wouldn't be so sure.

To a certain extend they did, Hisui is based on Hokkaido, the natives of Hokkaido are the Ainu, the Sea Otter is an important part of Ainu culture (Oshawott), and they have an Owl god (Rowlet).
I suppose It could be a coincidence but with how much research gamefreak does I wouldn't be so sure.
Where is Hokkaido?

Back
Top Bottom