• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Live... script?

That was dreadful.

I loved it.

I'm a big fan of musicals in general so really I loved it from the get go. I agree that it is incredibly flawed in many ways, but the main thing is the performers really seemed to be having fun with it, and I enjoy the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVoWD7ARe9s That is a commercial for it, if anyone is interested

Last edited:
I doubt some obscure stage show that few fans probably know or care about in the first place was ever responsible for any pokeshipping hijinks.

It isn't just this, its 4kids also created, "Misty's song," and "Under the mistletoe" in which Misty constantly talks about love and/or wants to kiss Ash.

Absolutely disgusting. 4kids had no business trying to muck up anime canon. What's next, they would have directly implied Giovanni was Ash's father?

All the bad fanfiction circa the early days of the fandom is because of disgusting out-of-place travesty like this.

Thankfully this shit ended as the show progressed, although 4kids did still give us the infamous, "Arbok evolves into Seviper" during AG, so whatever.

It isn't just this, its 4kids also created, "Misty's song," and "Under the mistletoe" in which Misty constantly talks about love and/or wants to kiss Ash.

Lol, I believe there was also "He Drives me Crazy" as well. Don't see why they made those songs, but w/e. It's not like any pairing on the show will come to fruition anyway.

4kids did have some funny lines though throughout the early series.

Okay, I admit I love Diamondshipping. I always like to keep Ash's paternity in question, but I think part of the reason I go with this ship is that Delia is pretty bland and maybe us Diamondshippers are trying desperately to give her something cool to do, like date the bad guy.

I like TR's songs (specifically Gio's). Though, I made the mistake of watching a vid clip of one and it was dreadfully staged. Still pictures made it look a lot cooler.

I wrote a play for Pokemon once. "To Unite All Peoples". I think it's lying around here somewhere, actually. Sorry for the plug for a really old story, but this play, while stupid, did give me ideas on how to write a more serious one. "Lion King" taught me you could do a good non-human story with human actors. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar in scope with Pokemon.

Truly the best thing is the Japanese put their foot down on the whole thing, given that Takeshi Shudo said Pokeshipping was never intended to happen and he split up the original trio permanently at the end of Johto.

I truly must thank Shudo, the man knew what he was doing.
The man did give us some interesting insights into the series, but just because he said it'd never happen doesn't mean I went 'oh no, I can't like my oldest ship anymore... =(' I just disregarded that and went on my merry way. I never care who does or doesn't hook up who in canon anyway. Why? Because there's always the wonderous options of fanfics, fanart, headcanon/fanon, discontinuity and hell, even just plain ol' pretending that one's ship(s) of choice happened.

Oh, and judging by the amount of Ash/Misty shipping pics on Pixiv? Two things: they don't give a damn about it not being canon either and less shippy dialogue doesn't stop them from enjoying the pairing.

Last edited:
Huh, so they stopped MechaMewtwo in the end by forcing him to commit suicide? That's kind of a downer...

(And holy shit, did he kill Giovanni along with him? It's kind of hard to tell just by reading the script to that thing.)

I was probably one of the few people here who watched this when it was around. I barley remember it, but I was so annoyed at how long it was compared to the episodes and how Team Rocket basicly took up most of the non-shipping stuff. (I actually don't remember any of the relationships in the play, but I was around 6, so I wouldn't know the diferences anyway.)

But yeah, it sucked so much. If I had a camera at the time though, I would probably upload it on YouTube just because I could. :lol:

Huh, so they stopped MechaMewtwo in the end by forcing him to commit suicide? That's kind of a downer...

(And holy shit, did he kill Giovanni along with him? It's kind of hard to tell just by reading the script to that thing.)

No, Giovanni didn't die, just like when TR HQ exploded in Mewtwo's Counterattack! He came out for the curtain call (with smudges on his face) to show he was alive. He must have the luck of the gods, though, LOL!

What also gets me about this script, as well as the shipping that was forced down everyone's throats, were the mistakes made with Giovanni...

...such as the small fact that in script not only does he know about Ash and Pikachu but he also orders Team Rocket to retrieve it.

If people had watched this as a kid, they'd have ended up thinking that Giovanni had told the trio to catch Pikachu in the first place (unlike the cartoon where he didn't even know Ash existed at this point... and still might not).

No, Giovanni didn't die, just like when TR HQ exploded in Mewtwo's Counterattack! He came out for the curtain call (with smudges on his face) to show he was alive. He must have the luck of the gods, though, LOL!

Thank you for clarifying that! I noticed he was included in the curtain call, but I found that a bit ambiguous, given that curtain calls typically involve the entire cast of a production stepping out and bowing, regardless of whether their characters survived to the end or not.

What also gets me about this script, as well as the shipping that was forced down everyone's throats, were the mistakes made with Giovanni...

...such as the small fact that in script not only does he know about Ash and Pikachu but he also orders Team Rocket to retrieve it.

If people had watched this as a kid, they'd have ended up thinking that Giovanni had told the trio to catch Pikachu in the first place (unlike the cartoon where he didn't even know Ash existed at this point... and still might not).

Wouldn't be the only time 4Kids did that - on the 2BA Master CD, Team Rocket's song actually opens with a message from Giovanni specifically ordering them to steal Pikachu...

Not reading through the whole thing, since I'm aware of the jist of the story from summaries and from the sound of it the experience would be painful.

Overall I felt that the plot and the script were horrible. On the other hand, the songs, for the most part, were entertaining. (Just the songs themselves, not necessarily the choreography that went with them, since I never actually saw the play.) That and Diamondshipping are the only things that I like about it.

Okay, I admit I love Diamondshipping. I always like to keep Ash's paternity in question, but I think part of the reason I go with this ship is that Delia is pretty bland and maybe us Diamondshippers are trying desperately to give her something cool to do, like date the bad guy.

I like TR's songs (specifically Gio's). Though, I made the mistake of watching a vid clip of one and it was dreadfully staged. Still pictures made it look a lot cooler.
So true on both points here.

The man did give us some interesting insights into the series, but just because he said it'd never happen doesn't mean I went 'oh no, I can't like my oldest ship anymore... =(' I just disregarded that and went on my merry way. I never care who does or doesn't hook up who in canon anyway. Why? Because there's always the wonderous options of fanfics, fanart, headcanon/fanon, discontinuity and hell, even just plain ol' pretending that one's ship(s) of choice happened.

Oh, and judging by the amount of Ash/Misty shipping pics on Pixiv? Two things: they don't give a damn about it not being canon either and less shippy dialogue doesn't stop them from enjoying the pairing.
Exactly. Shippers are going to ship, regardless of what canon dictates.

Agreed, horrible. 4kids thought they were being clever by shoe-horning Pokeshipping every chance they could get, little did they know Takeshi Shudo and the other writers would drop her character from the anime permanently.

Sometimes I feel like that Mastermind special was some horrid 4kids script they pitched to Japan.

That Mastermind Special is what came to mind when I was reading this. This damn thing was horrible. And to think my friends back in the TCG League days where excited to see this. I bet it confused a whole lot of little kids.

The Mastermind special did feel like it was a 4kids pitch. C'mon, Mewtwo returning as a virtual reality pokemon, Prof. Oak owning a Dragonite, Misty appearing randomly?

The whole thing felt like fanfiction brought to life. Thankfully we could ignore it and consider it non-canon.

I remember seeing commericals for this back in like 2001. Thought it looked kinda corny. I do like that thing with Ash's mom and Giovanni though, that was funny.

I don't remember commercials for it here, just that my friends showed me a newspaper ad with this thing's logo.

Actually, the Diamondshipping concept was interesting, and just as that, a concept, it was probly the only mildy good thing this had. Simply because of the possibility of character development and background.

The Mastermind special did feel like it was a 4kids pitch. C'mon, Mewtwo returning as a virtual reality pokemon, Prof. Oak owning a Dragonite, Misty appearing randomly?

The whole thing felt like fanfiction brought to life. Thankfully we could ignore it and consider it non-canon.

The characters themselves just felt odd too. Like they where forced to do this.

I bet the feeling of how older kids seeing Pokemon Live! then, and younger kids now looking back, had is the same as having watched the Mastermind Special. Just too forced for the sake of fanservice. And the wrong type of fanservice.

Dont. Feed. Shippers.

Offtopic, but where did that "shipping" word come from? I see anime fans use it all the time and I never understood it.

Shipping is the belief that two or more characters will engage in a romantic relationship. It's better explained here.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom