• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Manga Dissapointment thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Oh look, I finally decided to make a thread

Now as the title implies, this is to voice whatever dissapointed you in the various Pokemon manga

no, not Special, not Pokemon 7, not Pocket Monsters, all of them in general

the characters, the story, the Pokemon

just let alll your rage out...

OK, Special disappointment:
-That Red got a Bulbasaur.
-That there's no decent humor.

Those things just ruin the whole thing for me...

Pokémon Special - Yellow Chapter. They coulda done so much with that then they did.

My dissapointment is directed at certain characters teams

Red: Perfect..no problems
Blue: Why take Pidgeot out of his main team?
Green: too man normal types...a little variety please?
Yellow: Meh..it's ok

Gold: Variety abound..no problems
Silver: Too many water types..
Crystal: and here's where I get annoyed..seriously she's from johto..why is her team made of mostly kanto Pokemon?

Ruby: eh..
Sapphire: Walo and Reli are useless in actual battles
Emerald: and here's where I get PISSED seriously? I didn't mind Sudowoodo since unlike Gold's his actually has a personality but Snorlax, and Mantine!? Mr. Mime would've have been bad if crystal hadn't gotten one! I mean he almost had a Mawile but SOMEONE had to take it

Diamond: Needs a fifth member
Pearl: Tauros? Diglett? are you kidding me? they're awesome but what about some I don't know? SINNOH POKEMON!?
Platinum: maybe give her some more intimidatiing Pokemon

Black: Munna doesnt look like it fits him..dear god if it evolves...
white: well since It's not confirmed that she has Pokabu so I'll wait before stating anything..

Heart Gold/ Soul Silver chapter in Special.

No trolling, it was pretty flawed and one of the worse arcs yet.

Honestly I liked the sagas with Red in it, he was awesome and I was disappointed when not only was he no longer the main character but he started appearing less

I've only read through the GSC Arc in Special, but I really hate the Crystal portion of that when it's pretty much a couple of chapters of Crystal catching Pokemon, and then a couple of repetitive chapters where Suicune battles someone. Such as boring break in the story.

Also, Mask of Ice's motive struck me as tiny and insignificant, and it was pretty hard to take him seriously because of it.

Good luck with that. So few other series get discussed. It's a real tragedy...which is a disappointment in and of itself!

Honestly...the last Magical Pokemon Journey volume was a disappointment. Mewtwo's appearence was random, Almond's confession was random, and wtf Sandy and Raichu reincarnated?

There wasn't a gym challenge in G/S/C.

I was really looking forward to it then I realized that wasn't the premise of the series. Some people find it refreshing but I was let down.

I think that the most of the gym leaders battle in Diamond and Pearl Adventures were rush meaning that it seemed that Hareta defeated them in a mere second.

I thought that Kaitou Pokemon 7 was going to be multi-volume since volume 1 was displayed on its cover, but I guess I was wrong.

There wasn't a gym challenge in G/S/C.

I was really looking forward to it then I realized that wasn't the premise of the series. Some people find it refreshing but I was let down.

I was also looking for a gym battle in the GSC arc of Pokemon Special as well, but they did have gym battles in other arcs, but unfortunately there was no Pokemon League battles.

Last edited:
At least there was the Gym leaders tournament in the G/S/C arc. I also hate the Mary Sue that is Crystal.

Diamond: Needs a fifth member
He already has five Pokemon; he just needs the final one.
Pearl: Tauros? Diglett? are you kidding me? they're awesome but what about some I don't know? SINNOH POKEMON!?
Yeah, that'd have been forgivable if he used the one item you actually need to catch them in Sinnoh, but it was pretty stupid a move.

Platinum: maybe give her some more intimidatiing Pokemon
Never liked Platinum as a trainer, prob'ly never will, so it mostly doesn't matter to me.

Black: Munna doesnt look like it fits him..dear god if it evolves...
white: well since It's not confirmed that she has Pokabu so I'll wait before stating anything..

After seeing this:

OH MY FUCKING GOD GET THAT SHIT OUTTA MY HEAD

Heart Gold/ Soul Silver chapter in Special.

No trolling, it was pretty flawed and one of the worse arcs yet.
You kiddin'? That shit was the worst rendition of Johto since the show itself, and if they don't actually expiate themselves, and by that I mean, "tear that horrendous excuse for an arc limb from limb and redo it from scratch" the way we saw them do the first few arcs, it'll forever mar the face of the entire franchise worse than the Emerald shit did and the (repetitive abomination of a) cartoon always has.

This's someone who loyally followed Special up to volume 21 ever since 1999 (when I was 7) >_>

And lol @ Vulpes walkin' in here like a bloodhound to a corpse. I wouldn't even need to read his post to predict what he'd have to "rage" on about, lol.

That there was no real final battle in DPA. Giratina wasn't nearly the threat they seemed to set it up as, and Dialga and Palkia came out of nowhere. I was HOPING that Charon would gain control of Giratina for a while and everyone would have to battle the both of them, but sadly Charon took off for Stark Mountain the second he saw that Cyrus had gotten loose. I was disappoint. The whole series could have stood to be just a chapter longer.

Golden Boys and Theif 7 disappointed me due to them being canceled so early. Quite possibly the two best Pokemon manga yet and then..Bam.

Pokespe disappoints me a lot.

For example: Gold being a breeder, Silver being so unlike his game counterpart, Blue being almost nothing like Blue, the HGSS chapter, the DPP personalities in comparison to their game counterparts, the "good" characters from the games that were changes to villains, the lack of following the games, the lack of gym battles, etc.

Last edited:
PokeSpe is way more faithful than 99% of the other Pokemon adaptations barring the occasional fuck-ups, lol. And how's the only region in which the gymleaders weren't challenged being Johto equate to "lack of gym battles?" Red challenged gyms (and even Green beat Brock), Sapphire challenged gyms, as did Platinum, and the way things're lookin' now, Black probably will, as well. Moot.

The HGSS chapter, though, merits more than just a mention as far as disappointments go; it's just that horrendous.

That being said, I never liked Silver in any media, and Gold is worth more than a little disdain as of the massive phail brought upon by HGSS, so not gonna argue about that.

That's also a volume long. Hardly what we'd call an actual series >_>

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom