• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Manga Dissapointment thread

PokeSpe is way more faithful than 99% of the other Pokemon adaptations barring the occasional fuck-ups, lol.
I KNOW saying this is going to make you throw a hissyfit, but from what I have read of Special (which, granted, isn't much), I think that in terms of FEEL, of MOOD, Special didn't match RBY (the games) very well.

Once the plots of the games got overly serious, well, maybe it matched then. I dunno.

Wth @ Eitarou's deleted post o_0

And Vulpes sure seems hellbent on proving he only exists to post shitty responses on here like a broken record, haha. :D

Though again I reiterate that I've got enough "h43t" for any version of Silver to fill up a gas station, the games version isn't exactly Green/Blue material when you consider that the fucking Kimono girls kicked his ass in lmao.

what post? I didn't make any post? >_> *whistles*

and on topic

I kinda wish more manga characters would get cameos in the anime

so far we've gotten Isamu akai and his Clefairy and Pikachu in Advanced

and a reference to Pearl in DP..

They did? The very most the retarded staff behind the show have ever gone so far as to remotely reference to manga seems like a few alterations to how moves look, and shit (not that I've actually seen them; they suck too much for my eyes to handle). Where was the Pearl reference?

Hm, I see. I thought they just copied the parties and shit, lol.

Though again I reiterate that I've got enough "h43t" for any version of Silver to fill up a gas station, the games version isn't exactly Green/Blue material when you consider that the fucking Kimono girls kicked his ass in lmao.

The difference between Green (Yes, I refer to manga Gary as Green) and Silver is; All Green does is win, and all Silver does is lose. In RBY Gary was that asshole who was always one step ahead of you. Sometimes even taunting the lack of progress you made. Silver on the other hand was complaining about weak trainers, or getting his ass kicked.

I did lol @ the Kimono girls owning him though. They changed it from the originals. You had to fight them all one by one with no breaks.

Faithful to what? If we're talking about the games that.. That's a good laugh.

You really think the anime, beginning the first damn episode with a plothole of a setting of everyone under 10 years of age being forbidden from having Pokemon (when kids easily 5 years old are seen with them in the games all the time), Misty not even being a gym leader, and both her and the other useless sidekick being given 40 close relatives that run their gym, all within under the first dozen episodes, is "truthful?" The damn shit's gone on for nearly 70 times that length (within which we've seen plenty of shit more deviant than, say, the lack of any Rocket battles in the Kanto hideouts that they're fucking taken down in the first and third generations, nobody of importance winning a league [never mind their version of Red], a goddamn filler region eating up 40 episodes, no indication of anywhere near as lengthy an interval as 3 years passing between Kanto and Johto, Ass's simple presence in the following regions, Battle-Fucking-Frontshit in Kanto, and need I list more?), and within it they've deviated at least a good 3,000 times that Special ever will. So, yeah, I'll take those words and hand 'em right backatcha; that "pointer" is no more convincing than it was here when a biased troll tried to rag against it like Vulpes on high doses of heroin.

Even if you take the other mangas and try to contrast them to attempt to reinforce your oh-so-impeccable conjecture, you hit a dead brick wall when all you run into is the simple fact that over half the manga titles sans Special are either based on the infantile and Ya'd-shoot-yourself-in-the-head-rather-than-watch-quality show or the movies pertaining to it; the few exceptions are either gag manga in which Pokemon can talk and devolve (Pocket Monsters) or Magical Journey (which doesn't follow any hints of the games' plots at all).

The rest? Diamond and Pearl adventure comes somewhat close (and maybe the "walkthrough comic," if I could get around to reading that failure), but with the heroine working for Team Galactic for a time, amongst dozens of other liberties I know you'd rather not want me writing litanies about, not so much (though compared to the sorry excuses for arcs like Emerald or HGSS, I suppose I could tip my hat a tad). Sorry. More than a girth of the rest I haven't compared are also a volume or so long, so... yeah?

You have no case, but I rest mine. Try again.

They never said anything about the anime. Only that Special isn't like the games.

How is Mitsumi being an ex-Galactic more of a liberty than half the Kanto Gym Leaders being Rockets? Special takes tons of liberties all around, with a bunch of things.

Kids under 10 aren't prevented from having pokemon in the anime, they're prevented from being OFFICIAL TRAINERS. There's a difference.

Seriously man. Chill.

The Yellow arc of Pokemon Special was very original and did not follow the game plot because I am think that Mr. Kusaka doesn't like the anime, but I feel neutral towards that arc. Honestly I glad that many Pokemon manga doesn't have stories that are identical orginal story because I wouldn't want to read a repeat of the games. I am only concern about it is has a constructive plot and the base elements of the game such as a Pokemon battle especially Pokemon League, Gym Leader, and Elite Four Battles.

In Pokemon Special I think that Red character could use some indepth character development as we don't know too much about him. Even Green and Blue has more indepth character than he does. In the FRLG arc I was disappointed as the lack of interaction between Blue's and her parents and well as Silver and Giovanni. I mean they even seem to try to involve any interaction between Silver and Giovanni in the HGSS arc. I don't like the fact that Mr. Kusaka treats family matters with very little significane.

I was disappointed in the DP arc of Pokemon Special that Diamond's mom didn't wasn't present at the Super Contests and that Jasmine only got a cameo with her back turned instead of introduce herself to the DPPt trio or even competing in a Master Rank Super Contest with Platinum, Fantina, and Diamond's Mom. I think that this scnerio could have been included after Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum went their seperate way. Why doesn't Professor Oak show up at the conference in Canalave City. I mean if Professor Elm who is referenced in the game can make an appearance so can Professor Oak who is actually in the games. Why isn't Professor Oak

I was disappoint in HGSS arc. It is not fair that Team Rocket get to be a part of the Arecus Event and Cynthia doesn't because she actually apart of it in the video games. Also the Kimono Girl could have used a more major role since they had the Clear Bell and the Tidal Ball in the games to summon Ho-oh and Lugia. I didn't like the fact that Kimono Girls didn't appear in the GSC arc, and I don't like the treatment they received in the HGSS arc. I was looking foward to see the Kanto Gym Leaders whom haven't been seen in eight years. Personally I think that all of the Gym Leader could have been shown gathered at the Dojo that way we could see all of them. I mean they could have found a replacement for Pryce like his children or grandchildren to be the gym leaders. They seem to just shown Green in his new clothes in the flashback because we would get to see him and Jasmine in a one-shot screen without having them make an actual appearance in the arc. All of the Pokmeon evolution without any specific purpose was unneccessary. I wanted to see the Pokemon evolved, but not only when there was no other option. HGSS is an enhance remake compared to FRLG and shouldn't have been treated as a side story and I think that it was very bias that it arc was better than the HGSS.

Last edited:
Man, that Kenshi guy had such a hilarious overreaction to anything remotely-Anime related...it was crazy.

Plus he called his grandma a faggot in one of his blog posts, which was pretty insane/sad, so good riddance.

*Unneeded rant*

..When did I mention the anime? Also your rant had holes in it..

Back to topic..

Disappointments..

I really hate when some of the manga end. They're such good manga. It's so sad that most aren't even ten volumes, or even five.

Um..my dissapointments....
1)Emerald looks like a freaking circus clown! He's a midgit! Ugh...I don't like him.
2)Not really much shippy parts! >:3
More....wait, not really... XD
*Looks at Munna page* ACCCK TOO MUCH PINK!!

..When did I mention the anime? Also your rant had holes in it..
I meant that since I mentioned "adaptations," and the show is definitely one of said adaptations, I'd just be covering it first; note that I neither mentioned nor alluded that you brought it up, either. I just happened to cover it first, since it's got the most glaring flaws out of anything that directly adapts the games.

And no, a show where contests work like that crappy Battle palace place from Emerald and there're a minimum of 20 cities between each game-based location isn't close to being even a remotely faithful adaptation, was my point, if that's the "holes" thing you were referring to (though you probably weren't).

That aside, I've still not seen these "indubitably accurate" examples of Pokemon manga from either of your posts, so, examples, please?

And to stay on topic, I always found the fact that every time there's a new protagonist (or two/three), they always seem to accomplish much more than characters previous introduced by default... kind of annoying. Probably the biggest flaw that GSC had, and I even liked that arc.

Well, having multiple cities between each Gym city may not be how it is in the games, but it's pretty weird to complain about that when in real life there are countless towns and cities withing close proximity to each other...0.o

That just seems like complaining that an adaptation doesn't limit itself to the small-scale scope of a handheld videogame, which is a pretty odd thing to bring up.

It wouldn't be that bad if they weren't just doing that to prolong the lifespan of a show built entirely to mass-advertise the games, and the "classic," done-to-death formula of Ass and his band of recreants coming across ____, a Pokemon and/or trainer with a problem regarding ___, to which the Rocket super-grunts tailing them have another of their repetitive fantasies before carrying them out and getting blasted aside along with whatever new robot they built by some crappy attack following a Thunderbolt is all that happens for said 20 episodes (all of which consist of them then proceeding to giving advice on what to do next before parting, if said ___ hasn't overcome it fighting the talking Meowth crew).

And even if I were to close my eyes to that, as far as straying off the games' canon and accomplishing nothing goes, it's the real deal. The fact that the first season didn't have even a 4th of the fillers that everything that followed it did testifies to that even more, methinks.

But again, that's all irrelevant since he mentioned that he neither mentioned nor wants to discuss the show, and I'm waiting for his answer on which manga titles cover the games so perfectly.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom