• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Pokémon Masters General Discussion Thread

Reaction score
post-conference-169.jpg

A new Pokémon mobile game called Pokémon Masters is on the way for iOS and Android devices from The Pokémon Company and DeNA. Pokémon Masters lets players experience a new type of Pokémon battling on the go, and it features many famous Pokémon Trainers from the long history of Pokémon video games. Gameplay has been optimized for smart devices, allowing anyone to casually pick it up and play.

Pokémon Masters is scheduled to launch in 2019. Fans can expect more details about this new mobile game in June!
Fun fact: #PokemonMasters began with a suggestion from Ken Sugimori of @GAMEFREAK_info, who wanted to create a game featuring all past and present Pokémon Trainers from the video games.

Some topics for discussion:

1. How many Pokemon the player can use? Is the game compatible with Go and maybe even SwSh?
  2. Is the battle system roughly the same as Go's, only with triple battles?
  3. Is the game really going to bring back all the trainers, including player characters and trainer classes?
  4. What kind of story is there? You'd think that the voice acting would serve a purpose.

Last edited:
I really hope the battle system isn't like GO's... Woohoo... Pointlessly tapping the screen and occasionally pressing a button... MY FAVOURITE.
From what it looks, it looks a lot like Quest's Battle System, with 2 buttons indicating special attacks your 'Mon can do.
Looks a lot like those "Idle" RPGs that I hate. Just sit there and press a few buttons every once in a while.

I wonder how they are going to distribute Pokemon... Is it going to be like a gacha game such as Dragalia Lost, Fire Emblem Heroes and Pokemon Rumble Rush where you have to spend in-game currency for a chance to encounter wild Pokemon? Regardless, its essentially a Pokemon RPG for mobile.

I would play these games if they would release them on an operating system that wasn't made of evil.

I wonder how they are going to distribute Pokemon... Is it going to be like a gacha game such as Dragalia Lost, Fire Emblem Heroes and Pokemon Rumble Rush where you have to spend in-game currency for a chance to encounter wild Pokemon? Regardless, its essentially a Pokemon RPG for mobile.
I think you're stuck with Pikachu...

At first I thought the two trainers were redesigns of Dawn and Lucas. Also, notice the Rotoms on their belts? I wonder if Rotomdex will be appearing here, but hopefully it's not a sign of him hanging around for SwSh.
EDIT - also did Brock use a new Z-Move in that trailer? I don't remember Rock Solid Rockslide. Although, that is assuming it is actually a Z-Move.

Pokémon Masters can be exactly the smartphone Pokémon game I would be interested in. If this game is basically like a PWT with a simplified smartphone battle system, it could be a great casual approach to battles.

Here is what I would accept in terms of Micro Transactions:
  • you can battle ALL the Master Trainers without Micro Transactions involved.
  • however, if you want to play as one of the NPC Master Trainers themselves (Steven, Blue, Red, etc) or to team up with them, etc, you pay for that.
Also, no Pay2Win bs.

Last edited:
Of all the female player character they chose to be one of the faces for advertisement of course they'd choose damn Pillow-Hair fashion failure girl. And they broke her spine for her pose too~ I wonder when they'll start advertising pokemon games with the female characters thrusting boobs around with text that says "THE KINGDOM NEEDS YOU, MILORD!"

Boy howdy I sure do wish they'd put their creative energy into making actual games and not blatant 'feed us money, please' junk. At least this is the most creative thing to come out of that news (besides detective pikachu but I'm still not 100% sure I'm interested in that side series). I really hope it's not a gacha game but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be one. It's got the idea that screams "PAY US MONEY AND YOU MIGHT GET A CHAMPION. Oooh too bad you got Joey again. Come one, just one more pull. Gambler's fallacy states that you can't just keep getting duds!"

Like, if this were like a low-price console game where I pay once and unlock trainers through game progression and side quests that'd be one thing. But any game on a phone is practically just leaving your Ultra Sun cartridge sitting on the bench at the bus stop while you run to get a snack and hoping it's not suddenly gone. Cuz if your phone breaks (or the battery decides its time to pull an Electrode and go boom) you're probably gonna lose a lot. Plus in a few years when they've moved onto the next big let's addict younger people to gambling pay to win fad and shut down the old games, all the money you put into it to get a team with Steven Stone [super special awesome variant] and Cynthia [fanservice costume variant] may as well have been flushed down the toilet because at least there's a chance you can get that money back if you want it bad enough.

I might get interested in the game depending if we get that game in my country or not. I don't feel safe downloading apk files from the web just to try out the Nintendo mobile games.

Cuz if your phone breaks (or the battery decides its time to pull an Electrode and go boom) you're probably gonna lose a lot.

Does that even happen often enough with people? I'm pretty sure phones are just as likely to break as consoles, and if GO is any indication, your progress will be tied to an account which carries over with a new phone.
Though I'm not sure if its healthy to have Pokemon wt the forefront of your worries if your phone 'pulls an electrode

Regarding my thoughts on microtransactions, TPCi hasn’t really made a microtransaction-infested game before (I’ve played Go and some of Duel), and its entirely possible to have great progress on Go without using money. I have some faith that its going to be carried on, specially since I had been waiting for such a game for a long time.

I wanna remain hyped about this game, until there's absolute undeniable proof that it will be micro transactions heavy and/or Pay2Win reliant. Innocent until proven otherwise.

I am already in love with the design of the male PC. He has to be one of my favourite designs of all time.

Man, Ken Sugimori is an absolute legend. If he is behind this game, this sounds promising.

Last edited:
I am already in love with the design of the male PC. It has to be one of my favourite designs.
Really? They're my least favorite PCs, with the exception of Lyra and USUM boy. By the way, if there is any justice in the world, I'm going to defeat Lyra with Kris and Silver by my side.

Last edited:
Really? They're my least favorite PCs, with the exception of Lyra. By the way, if there is any justice in the world, I'm going to defeat Lyra with Kris and Silver by my side.
I definitely don't like the female PC. She has a weird hairstyle. But the male PC looks great. He reminds me of Ethan, but in green.

Also, LOL, you are really salty about Lyra, my friend. XD But I understand why...

Last edited:
I hope we are able to customise our PCs. The boy looks almost perfect, but I would like to change that haircut.

Last edited:
I'm fairly excited for this game because, let's be honest, the chances of getting another PWT-like feature in the mainline games were pretty slim to begin with. The graphics look pretty nice for being a mobile game, the characters appear to have some voice acting and it's good to see some old faces again.

This might turn out to be a great way to develop or explore older characters that didn't get much in their respective games. For example, there are a lot of Gym Leaders that are "just there" with a couple of personality traits and nothing else. A lot of people don't watch the anime nor read the manga(s). Plus those things are from a different canon anyway.

Not to mention the player characters, who are silent except for when they get supporting roles that aren't much to write home about. Green is the notable exception personality-wise and hopefully they use her as a template (not her quirks, but the facts that she has some).

Back
Top Bottom