• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Pokémon Masters General Discussion Thread

Also, I am very concerned about Pokemon Masters being released around the same year as Sword and Shield. From that one trailer alone, that's enough to show you how much more this game on the phone has compared with what we got for Sword and Shield's trailer. This might overshadow and cripple it's sales somewhat, as if it hadn't been already.
First of all, worries about sales should be reserved for games that aren't virtually guaranteed to sell well no matter what. Secondly, I don't know how much most players care about characters compared to Pokemon, which SwSh have far more of despite Dexit.

If what you fear is Game Freak being tempted to make mobile games, that fear is unfounded right now.

It's most likely for 2020-2021, the game will have an update to add in Galar characters such as Sonia, Hop, Champion Leon and few others.
They have a lot more characters from the previous regions to add first.

First of all, worries about sales should be reserved for games that aren't virtually guaranteed to sell well no matter what. Secondly, I don't know how much most players care about characters compared to Pokemon, which SwSh have far more of despite Dexit.

If what you fear is Game Freak being tempted to make mobile games, that fear is unfounded right now.

They have a lot more characters from the previous regions to add first.
I will truly be livid if this is GF's excuse of them not appearing in Sword and Shield.

I don't know why you would expect anything like the PWT after the past two generations, anyway.
I mean, have past characters make some sort of appearance. That was lacking for XY, Sun and Moon fixed this somewhat with the Battle Tree.

You only seem worried about whether or not Cynthia will be in SwSh, though.
guilty as charged, since I would like to see a link between Galar and Sinnoh (Gen 4 Remake). But not only her, but other past characters as well. This was lacking in X and Y, but were brought back into Sun and Moon via Battle Tree. I'm sure they will appear in post-game or somewhat. The point is that with the way GF is going, with all the shortcuts they have to face when trying to make a deadline, and with Pokemon Masters looking better than the original, I'm concerned that they would cut corners so much that a lot of content may be thrown out and instead would have another X and Y. I'm not saying that they will, I'm not saying that they won't. I'm just observing the situation.

Most of the main series cameos aren't that great. Let's look at the Alola ones:

Red and Blue: These were neat because they were grown up, but the designs themselves were a step back. They were oddly MIA during the Rainbow Rocket episode.

Cynthia and Wally: Battle fodder with no design changes.

Anabel: Interesting, but she might as well have been a new character. Very random.

Looker: Standard fare.

Grimsley: He did get a design change, but again, random.

Colress: His return paid off in USUM, but then the whole fusion shtick was just a way to have two versions again. At least he showed Ghetsis who's boss.

Rainbow Rocket: I get the appeal, but the plot was nonsensical. The leaders didn't interact except for the obvious duo, and the multiverse angle failed because the player defeated them consecutively despite their prior victories.

What Masters is doing isn't something that Game Freak could just shove into the post-game. All the returning characters actually talk expressively and you get to bond with them as partners. If the existence of such a game is a threat to the main series, then said series is a lot more shaky than it would appear.

Ruffoldrowlit has made a video showcasing the future of Game freak at this point. The bottom line, they are no longer the top dog to Pokemon Games as they once were, and are now being superseded by mobile games like Go and now Masters. This is to be aware for if we want Sword and Shield to succeed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRl_7kUdWBg

1. The idea that the main series characters are too sacred for mobile games is silly.
  2. Pasio may be a new region, but exploration isn't the focus. There won't be wild Pokemon.
  3. Sync Moves are barely different than Z moves.
  4. I don't see how it remotely makes sense to claim that Pokemon is no longer Game Freak's money maker. Since Go was released, the main series hasn't dwindled in sales.
I really doubt that Game Freak's complacency has much to do with the mobile games. The main series games simply sell very well without being ambitious.

1. The idea that the main series characters are too sacred for mobile games is silly.
  2. Pasio may be a new region, but exploration isn't the focus. There won't be wild Pokemon.
  3. Sync Moves are barely different than Z moves.
  4. I don't see how it remotely makes sense to claim that Pokemon is no longer Game Freak's money maker. Since Go was released, the main series hasn't dwindled in sales.
I really doubt that Game Freak's complacency has much to do with the mobile games. The main series games simply sell very well without being ambitious.
True, and I'm sure that they will add in more things, including old characters. We haven't seen anything yet, and yet they should if they want people to be interested for Sword and Shield. The only problem, is those fans that are bullying Masuda on Twitter.

Pokemon at its heart has always been a series for kids and casual gamers.
Not always. The games made in the timeframe between Emerald (2004/2005) and BW2 (2012), were clearly designed with hardcore fans in mind.

You are still mostly correct, though: that timeframe is only 8 years out of 23 years. So Pokémon has been a casual/kid-oriented franchise for most of its existence.
that TPCi (and co) are focusing more on the mobile market should be unsurprising.
I agree here.

Last edited:
Not always. The games made in the timeframe between Emerald (2004/2005) and BW2 (2012), were clearly designed with hardcore fans in mind.
not really. maybe there can be a case for the third versions, director's cuts, same gen revisits, whatever you want to call them, but i'm not quite sure putting out a game that's directly meant to 'prey' on hardcore fans' willingness to shell out for a mostly-the-same game is really worth writing home about, let alone praising.

the only really 'hardcore' element that (some of) those games even had was the Battle Frontier, which really is just an RNG-fest and most players who want that level of challenge are better serviced by playing against, yanno, actual people. BW2 didn't have the BF, but it did have the PWT which is piss easy compared to the BF, though it can have difficulty spikes due to...you guessed it!... rng.

not really. maybe there can be a case for the third versions, director's cuts, same gen revisits, whatever you want to call them, but i'm not quite sure putting out a game that's directly meant to 'prey' on hardcore fans' willingness to shell out for a mostly-the-same game is really worth writing home about, let alone praising.

the only really 'hardcore' element that (some of) those games even had was the Battle Frontier, which really is just an RNG-fest and most players who want that level of challenge are better serviced by playing against, yanno, actual people. BW2 didn't have the BF, but it did have the PWT which is piss easy compared to the BF, though it can have difficulty spikes due to...you guessed it!... rng.
What a good portion of us liked about things such as the Battle Frontier and the PWT wasn’t necessarily the RNG or difficulty spikes (or at least not just that), but the fact that it exposed us to ways of battling that we otherwise would have never been able to experience. It spices things up rather than just being another “higher win streak = higher difficulty and/or RNG” that the standard basic battle facility provides. The PWT also offered such challenges, and it was just a single facility!

What I’m trying to say is that it’s not a matter of difficulty, but rather the twist on the standard battle formula that we enjoy.

The thing is that the Battle Subway roster is very broad and nothing stands out. At least Hugh's Unfezant is comparable to Blue's Pidgeot.

The best idea I have for Nate is shiny Haxorus since the Nature Preserve quest concludes the B2W2 journey.

Nate could easily get Lucario, considering the animated trailer.

That said, I don't think they are able to avoid repeating ace Pokémon, purely because GF has used a lot of the same mons for a lot of teams.

I do see them repeat Pokémon, but use different moves or maybe stuff like shinies or mons with gender differences or something.

Back
Top Bottom