• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Pokémon Masters General Discussion Thread

Already spent £172.93 for the entire thing, and I'm not planning of spending anymore.

It's only when I spent £149.94 that I was able to get Gardenia.

Let this be a warning to anyone who seeks of finding their favorite character via microtransactions.

Games like this are toxic. I suggest people don't even try it. I know it's sad, because it's neat to get to see some of our favorite characters that haven't shown up in generations, but that's how they get you. Microtransactions in gacha games like this are anything but "micro".

Even when you play these games without spending money (which is what I've already done), you just end up getting left behind and it becomes a large stressful cloud over you that you can't do everything you want to do. That's why I call it toxic. It's toxic no matter what you do. Toxic for your mind or wallet... Your choice. Or actually, I think if you spend money it's still toxic for your mind, too. lol

Games like this are toxic. I suggest people don't even try it. I know it's sad, because it's neat to get to see some of our favorite characters that haven't shown up in generations, but that's how they get you. Microtransactions in gacha games like this are anything but "micro".

Even when you play these games without spending money (which is what I've already done), you just end up getting left behind and it becomes a large stressful cloud over you that you can't do everything you want to do. That's why I call it toxic. It's toxic no matter what you do. Toxic for your mind or wallet... Your choice. Or actually, I think if you spend money it's still toxic for your mind, too. lol
I'm surprise that I haven't heard of one that ended up being on the streets. Games like this should be banned. I knew before doing this that it would be toxic, and surprise surprise, it's just as bad, if not, worse than I've imagined it to be. At least I've got what I've been seeking so no more spends for me, thank goodness!

Also, Gacha Games... it speaks itself... Gotcha! Got ya!

Waiting for a specific character to show up may be annoying, but I don't find it stressful. The game is meant to be played over a long period, and if you don't become fixated on your expectations, chances are that the payoff will feel more rewarding eventually.

I'm surprise that I haven't heard of one that ended up being on the streets. Games like this should be banned. I knew before doing this that it would be toxic, and surprise surprise, it's just as bad, if not, worse than I've imagined it to be. At least I've got what I've been seeking so no more spends for me, thank goodness!

Also, Gacha Games... it speaks itself... Gotcha! Got ya!

I've heard of microtransactions putting people in really bad places, but I think they were actually for - believe it or not - big titles on console/PC with microtransactions instead of straight-up gacha games. I don't know how that works. But I think there was one guy who ended up spending $10,000 on FIFA or something. o.o

Note that when you say "I got what I wanted, so I'll be fine now", beware. Be very careful. That's another way they get you. For once they've pulled you in with that one thing you absolutely had to have (trust me, I've been there), then you end up becoming more invested in the game and boom, you end up wanting more.

Waiting for a specific character to show up may be annoying, but I don't find it stressful. The game is meant to be played over a long period, and if you don't become fixated on your expectations, chances are that the payoff will feel more rewarding eventually.

The problem is that, as I said above, once you get invested in getting that one thing you want, you get invested into the game itself and then you begin to want more, and you want to be competitive. Being competitive in these kinds of games is next to impossible without spending money. Or at least, that's the path they go down eventually. The games may start with "You can get lucky with what little we give", but in time they start tacking on more and more that you need to be lucky about, and then they start adding things that you can't be lucky about, that have to actually be bought.

If one can really avoid that stress, if they can really completely avoid any want to be competitive and not even care about anything, then they might be able to enjoy the ride for a little while. But I don't for one second recommend taking that chance, because if they get you hooked, it will become a burden instead of something for fun.

The game isn't competitive as it lacks PvP, though. It's all about the story events and training (with co-op as an option), and you can redo those with the new characters you obtain. I am not going to tell you how to feel about the game, but the mindset of "I have to get this soon" is not that hard to reject as I see it especially as the freebie trainers are diverse.

If anything, I would hope to see Team Masters Rocket being in Masters, where Rocket Grunts are everywhere and it'll be the only way to unlock Giovanni as your Sync Pair.

The game just came out, so I would think features like PvP might be introduced later on. They've promised more sidequests and storylines in the video from the other day.

It's actually easy to get 300 gems without paying for them if you advance with the story, talk to the recruits, or complete certain missions. My main annoyance is how getting recruits is randomized, given I ended up with four Water-typed trainers when I'm in desperate need of Bug, Ghost, Fairy, or Flying to beat non-story missions, not to mention how hard the boss battle with Skyla is even with everyone at Level 20.

If a later storyline reveals Lear is the leader of Team Break, I wouldn't be surprised.

Man, I've been playing the game for two days now (with breaks of course, otherwise you'd probably get crazy). I tell you... that game sure makes you addicted easily! I'm totally fascinated!

And I'm glad you can play through the story without spending a dime. This makes the game even better if you ask me. And personally, I don't need every single character, so everything's fine! :giggle:

My favorite available Sync Pair so far is Korrina and her great (Mega) Lucario

Last edited:
Man I'm absolutely loving this game so far. I've always been sad you don't really get to know the Gym Leaders and E4 in the main games so had been hoping for a game that's more focused on the characters. And this game really is just all I'm asking for. The game looks beautiful, all characters have various unique animations and new lines and you get a sync pair story for each character you get. I've already learned so many new things about these characters, I love it. And it just really feels like you're hanging out with them.

I like the battles too, though it took some time getting used to. I still very much prefer turn-based combat, I hate having to make choices really fast without having time to think or look at the (de)buffs my mons have. But now that I'm used to it, it's pretty fun. And they're pretty challenging too, I've lost lots of times already. I like that you can't just rush through the game with your favs, you really do need those type advantages, it encourages you to use different units. And I love that, cause I was already panicking that there's only 3 people on a team but I like so many characters already haha.

I also really love the Sync Moves, I was afraid they were going to be annoying just like Z-Moves but the character animations look amazing and they're short enough to not be bothered by them. And the animations are skippable, something the main games could really learn from this game.

The one thing I don't like is that my luck in this game is as terrible as in FE Heroes. It's not even about not getting the characters I want, I hardly ever get new characters at all. There's 43 different characters you can get, but in the 13 summons I only got 8 unique sync pairs and 5 doubles sigh. I have 3 Roarks, 2 Whitneys, 2 Marleys and 2 Bugsys. I don't mind the Roarks that much though, he's one of my favs and I'm glad I can make him stronger with duplicates. But at this point of the game I'd rather have more choice in characters and there's lots of characters I like, yet of them I only have Roark so far. Meanwhile one friend already got a random Kris (the first one of us to get a 5* at all) and another gets everyone I want to have lol. Am tempted to make a second account to see if my luck is better there.

Characters I still hope to get: Phoebe, Kris, Roxie, Shauntal, Gardenia, Will, Ramos, Brycen, Winona, Roxanne, Maylene, Janine.

Last edited:
So I spend precious time grinding, testing, and rearranging my team to make them work just well enough to beat Pryce, and then because Pryce wanted two characters I didn’t even involve in any of my battles against him to learn a lesson, I don’t get my PML badge from him and I have to challenge him all over again.

I know it’s just a set storyline thing, but seriously, what the fuck, Pryce :v

For those of you who rerolled, how easy is it? I was thinking of doing it, but I’ve heard rerolling in Masters is requires a lot of time invest.

Ok seriously though, how does anyone make it past the second Team Break assault in chapter 9? Like, I wanna get to the part with Nanu already, but apparently I can’t even make it halfway there :v
Ok I looked it up, and apparently adding support from Skyla helps, so that’s what I did. I already had Rosa as support, and I ditched Korrina in favor of Skyla, leaving Pryce as my sole attacker. And it worked! Perfectly fine with me, as I like Skyla much better than Korrina anyways, lol.

EDIT:
...alright, NOW I’m stuck. That dang Iris.

Last edited:
Bosses can be ridiculously overpowered sometimes.

I would like to mention that their "Sync Moves" (which would only target one Pokémon) instead affects all three. It feels much more like a Unity Attack and honestly hits so hard. You basically have to close out/cripple them before they get to their "Sync Move" or you're done.

The bosses can be insane indeed, mostly because of the sync moves that hit your whole party. The Carnivine battle was the worst, I was stuck on it for ages. Grinding levels and clicking really fast is the only thing that helped me through it, I got no other advice to give for it. And Pryce is amazing, Icy Wind hitting all opponents and lowering the target's speed helped me a lot, he's my permanent team member now.

For those of you who rerolled, how easy is it? I was thinking of doing it, but I’ve heard rerolling in Masters is requires a lot of time invest.

Well, it depends if you're going for a specific character or not. I was going for Kris or Phoebe at first, but decided to stick with the Olivia I got on my third try cause the other rolls were pretty good too and I don't mind her.

A friend of mine went for Karen and got her quite fast too. She tried to get her again and in an hour got Olivia, Kris three times and Brendan three times. So getting a specific character can be a timesink, but if you just want any 5* unit it only takes a few tries really. The tutorial takes forever though, it takes about 10 minutes to go through it each time.

I do recommend rerolling for a 5* sync pair when you start, getting any 5* doesn't take that long and it really helps with going through the story. I had a lot of trouble with many battles before I restarted my account, but after I got Olivia they were a breeze. I don't even need both type advantages anymore, Olivia doesn't care about type advantage lol, she kills everything.

Started playing this since Thursday and here's my thoughts so far:

So I got really lucky when I started playing and didn't need to re-roll since my first 10 pulls got Olivia & Lycanroc, Phoebe & Dusclops, and Karen & Houndoom. I did mostly solo rolls after that, and then did another full 10 pull and got Blue & Pigeot.

The gameplay shifts drastically between single player and co-op where Pokemon that attack everyone (e.g., Houndoom, Raichu, and Pigeot) are top-tier strikers whereas co-op play they don't do enough damage (and Houndoom and Pigeot can't Mega Evolve fast enough to take advantage of Dark Pulse and Hurricane) so single-target hard-hitters like Lycanroc and Treecko rule the battlefield.

Unfortunately, in co-op, there's a lot of people who still haven't figured out you can't spend your time fully setting up and have to attack the main sync pair right away. Each player has their own sync pair gauge while the AI only has one, which means they'll get their sync move out faster. If you want to set up, you have to use Pokemon like Serperior or Dusclops who power up the entire team and take a supportive role. Because of this, Serperior is probably the best Pokemon right now to invest in since it has utility in both modes.

I would like to mention that their "Sync Moves" (which would only target one Pokémon) instead affects all three. It feels much more like a Unity Attack and honestly hits so hard. You basically have to close out/cripple them before they get to their "Sync Move" or you're done.

Yeah, a lot of people who just start out co-op don't realize this and go for the side-Pokemon or buff too much rather than going for the center. The only Pokemon worth buffing is Lycanroc or Treecko to set up their Stone Edge and Leaf Storm, respectively--especially for Lycanroc because if you miss, then your moves don't chain to form a unity attack.

As a side note, the only opponents worth attacking the side Pokemon is Flint and Chauntal because those guys will heal Infernape and Chandelure. If you don't take them out first, you've just wasted all your attacks.

I'm stuck there, too. Currently grinding to unlock Pryce's skill (which doubles super effective moves), but you'd think there'd be an easier way.

Bosses can be ridiculously overpowered sometimes.
Like all Pokemon games, the solution is to over-level. Once you get Hau, I'd suggest over-leveling him and Rosa because the two just have great synergy together and they won't even care about not having super-effective damage.

Last edited:
A small thing (but pretty big for me), but I have to say that I'm very happy with the filter and sorting options we have in the teams menu, this is something a lot of gacha games somehow forget to add, especially at the start (and there's Fire Emblem Heroes who after 2 years still doesn't have any filter options at all, only sorting).

Though I do wonder why we can't filter on favourites yet. There's already a way to mark favourites (the heart in the top left corner), but all it does is make them appear in the Pokémon Center more often (which is an awesome feature by itself really), but you can't filter on them, as far as I know at least? Do hope this gets added soon, there's enough available sync pairs already to drown in the teams menu and there's enough I will never even think of using so would love it if the menu would just show my favourites and nothing else.

Another small thing that could be a huge improvement is a restart button during battles. Now you can only quit a battle and the game will take you back to the Pokémon Center, meaning you have to go through the whole menu again to get back to the battle you were working at. A simple restart button that just brings you back to the start of the battle would help me a whole lot.

And maybe some way to pause the battle while still being able to look at the screen? These battles have to be done so fast I never really have the time to check out what my moves did again exactly or to see what buffs or debuffs are on my mons. And it might make the battles a bit more doable for people who aren't great at clicking really fast.

Back
Top Bottom