• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Pokémon Masters General Discussion Thread

Question on Pokemon Masters....I know at the start of its release it had hit a VERY rough patch, but since then has it recovered, and if so how well?

I'd say that it has generally improved from where the game started. While it's still takes awhile, they do make it easier to collect free gems, have given out more rewards for events and made improvements to the Sync Grid. It still needs some improvements. I really wish that they could alter the Sync Pair Scouting mechanic since it is is so annoying to spend literally thousands of gems just to get nothing but repeats. Honestly, cutting the cost of Sync Pair Scouts from three thousand to one thousand free gems would be a vast improvements. It is more fun going through events. I don't want to spend any money on the game anymore for multiple reasons, or at the very least I want to be more careful instead of being more willing to get the paid gems, but it is still a relatively fun mobile app game.

I do enjoy seeing different characters from different generations interacting. The storyline for the previous Silver event was quite nice, although it would have been better if they didn't lock the events behind a lottery format. I like having more level up events too since that saves on the leveling up items a bit. I'm still eagerly awaiting an N event.

Can anyone answer to the glitch of Flint and Shantual in co-op?

Overall, I like Masters as a concept. The idea of collecting the many prominent trainers that have been introduced over the years is unique and it really capitalizes on the general clamor for these characters to make a return.

I will say that a major qualm I have with the game is that some areas are just too difficult to progress through without either extreme luck or without unlocking a specific 5-star character that will make things easier. I guess that’s just the nature of gatcha games overall, though.

Things can also get a bit grind-heavy, but I actually think they’ve done a lot to alleviate this recently.

Overall, I like Masters as a concept. The idea of collecting the many prominent trainers that have been introduced over the years is unique and it really capitalizes on the general clamor for these characters to make a return.

I will say that a major qualm I have with the game is that some areas are just too difficult to progress through without either extreme luck or without unlocking a specific 5-star character that will make things easier. I guess that’s just the nature of gatcha games overall, though.

Things can also get a bit grind-heavy, but I actually think they’ve done a lot to alleviate this recently.

I also usually do the Training Areas top to bottom and missed a Very Hard level in Co-Op.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe it is the nature of gacha games yeah, but it is not an inherent hazard that is central to all gacha games. This can 100% be mitigated by reducing the necessary power levels as an example in order to make it way more accessible.

I've noticed that the whole issue of some areas basically requiring you to get the new five star Sync Pair is a relatively new issue. I don't recall this being a problem, or at the very least being this pronounced, until the Flying type event. It was extremely difficult, if not flat out impossible, to get through hard and super hard modes without Clemont since his moves and abilities were the only means of getting through those modes. The same could be said for Wallace, but I don't think it was as difficult, if only because I had access to other strong Water type Sync Pairs.

Yeah, it really is frustrating. I spend so much time powering up the sync pairs I do have, only for them to be fairly ineffective in favor of a sync pair that was more recently introduced. The Flying event is a good example, as were some of the Ho-Oh event levels. I really wish they would either mitigate the power levels to be more accessible, or tweak the gacha system to make pulling needed sync pairs more likely.

My predictions for future Sync Pairs:

Ultra Beasts Story Event
-Selene & Rowlet -> Dartrix -> Decidueye (Physical Striker)
-Lillie & Clefairy -> Clefable (Support)
-Gladion & Tupe: Null -> Silvally (Tech)
-Lusamine & Nihilego (Special Striker)

Sword & Shield
-Gloria & Scorbunny -> Raboot -> Cinderace (Physical Striker)
-Hop & Wooloo -> Dubwool (Support)
-Bede & Hatterene (Special Striker)
-Milo & Gossifleur (Support)
-Nessa & Drednaw (Physical Striker)
-Allister & Polteageist (Tech)

Personally, I disagree that difficulty needs to be lowered. So far I've found all content to be achievable with just F2P sync pairs so I find the balance to be just right (some easy battles, some harder battles). As far as I know, the old EX challenges did require very specific sync pairs but those battles have been nerfed since then.

I suggest checking the Pokemon Masters subreddit now and then. People often post various strategies and team compositions there, including entirely F2P teams. I understand that some people aren't interested in more extensive team building and that's perfectly fine, but a part of the player base really enjoys this aspect of the game so I don't think it would be fair to lower the difficulty. Additionally, DeNA seems to make the hardest battles give fewer rewards so people don't feel like they are losing out if they can't complete them (I don't remember about the flying type event, but this was true for the others).

I hope this doesn't come off as rude; I'm not trying to disregard anyone's frustrations. I just really think the difficulty in this game is fairly balanced and manages accommodate both types of players. New battles are indeed designed to benefit the latest gacha sync pairs as an incentive to scout for them, but I've yet to see a battle that can't be done with F2P units.

Personally, I disagree that difficulty needs to be lowered. So far I've found all content to be achievable with just F2P sync pairs so I find the balance to be just right (some easy battles, some harder battles). As far as I know, the old EX challenges did require very specific sync pairs but those battles have been nerfed since then.

I suggest checking the Pokemon Masters subreddit now and then. People often post various strategies and team compositions there, including entirely F2P teams. I understand that some people aren't interested in more extensive team building and that's perfectly fine, but a part of the player base really enjoys this aspect of the game so I don't think it would be fair to lower the difficulty. Additionally, DeNA seems to make the hardest battles give fewer rewards so people don't feel like they are losing out if they can't complete them (I don't remember about the flying type event, but this was true for the others).

I hope this doesn't come off as rude; I'm not trying to disregard anyone's frustrations. I just really think the difficulty in this game is fairly balanced and manages accommodate both types of players. New battles are indeed designed to benefit the latest gacha sync pairs as an incentive to scout for them, but I've yet to see a battle that can't be done with F2P units.

I'd say either you're really lucky or you leveled up your Sync Pairs more than I have since there were some levels in both the Flying and Ho-Oh event that were virtually impossible for me to win without Clemont and Wallace respectively. I managed to win in the Hard mode for the Flying type event, but it was so incredibly difficult and frustrating that I never even botherd to try Super Hard.

If they don't want to lower the difficulty, then they should increase the odds of getting the new Sync Pair for that event. I know that they want to get players to spend the money/gems on getting these Sync Pairs, but it's honestly pretty rare for me to actually get them during their specific event. Despite supposedly having better odds, I often get other five star Sync Pairs with even less of a chance of appearing during these kind of Sync Pair Scouting events. They either need to increase the likely hood of getting these Sync Pairs if they're so necessary for the completion of events or at the very least decrease the amount of gems needed to scout them. Spending three thousand gems for just ten sync pairs, which are almost always repeats for me at this point, is just ridiculous.

My predictions for future Sync Pairs:

Ultra Beasts Story Event
-Selene & Rowlet -> Dartrix -> Decidueye (Physical Striker)
-Lillie & Clefairy -> Clefable (Support)
-Gladion & Tupe: Null -> Silvally (Tech)
-Lusamine & Nihilego (Special Striker)

Sword & Shield
-Gloria & Scorbunny -> Raboot -> Cinderace (Physical Striker)
-Hop & Wooloo -> Dubwool (Support)
-Bede & Hatterene (Special Striker)
-Milo & Gossifleur (Support)
-Nessa & Drednaw (Physical Striker)
-Allister & Polteageist (Tech)

First of all, Where is Elio, Victor, and Bede? Second, More:

- Bea and Galarian Farfetch'd -> Sirfetch'd (Physical Striker)
- Melony and Galarin Daramaka -> Darmanitan (Special Striker)
- Sonia and Yamper -> Boutland (Tech)

First of all, Where is Elio, Victor, and Bede?

You could ask the same thing about May, Lucas, Nate, and Serena.

My prediction is that it'll be implied that Selene was the "canon" protagonist of SM (since Solgaleo already has an event dedicated to it), and that she & Lillie will have good chemistry with one another/seem to already know each other. And then for SwSh if it makes it in eventually, they'll flip the genders and have Gloria be kind of like Hilda where she'll talk about Galar but not mention anything about defeating Leon, and things Hop says will imply that Victor is the "canon" new Champion in Galar.

I picked her & Scorbunny mostly because it seems more likely that they'd pick Milo & Nessa as Sync Pairs rather than Kabu, so type differences. As for Selene & Rowlet, she's often seen paired with Rowlet in official artwork, and it's been awhile since we last got a Grass-type sync pair.

Last edited:
You could ask the same thing about May, Lucas, Nate, and Serena.

My prediction is that it'll be implied that Selene was the "canon" protagonist of SM (since Solgaleo already has an event dedicated to it), and that she & Lillie will have good chemistry with one another/seem to already know each other. And then for SwSh if it makes it in eventually, they'll flip the genders and have Gloria be kind of like Hilda where she'll talk about Galar but not mention anything about defeating Leon, and things Hop says will imply that Victor is the "canon" new Champion in Galar.

I picked her & Scorbunny mostly because it seems more likely that they'd pick Milo & Nessa as Sync Pairs rather than Kabu, so type differences. As for Selene & Rowlet, she's often seen paired with Rowlet in official artwork, and it's been awhile since we last got a Grass-type sync pair.

Or because of Solgeleo, she is the canon of Moon because she is a.k.a. Moon. But why does Hlibert have a Samurott and Calem wearing a cap? Brendan is the canon RSEORAS protagonist and May has to be one too. I prefer May being Norman’s child of Masters because she is in the Anime. You may like her as a Birch but that’s your opinion.

Yeah, it really is frustrating. I spend so much time powering up the sync pairs I do have, only for them to be fairly ineffective in favor of a sync pair that was more recently introduced. The Flying event is a good example, as were some of the Ho-Oh event levels. I really wish they would either mitigate the power levels to be more accessible, or tweak the gacha system to make pulling needed sync pairs more likely.
Yeah, Powercreep is a huge problem in Gacha games. Initially when the Fire Emblem Heroes launched Armored units had some of the highest BSTs in the game, but at the cost of one movement. Now the newest Legendary Hero has skills that allow her to not only gain additional movement but also allows her to make another move, and the requirement is the same, don’t be adjacent to an ally. Sad that this power creeps happen, but these games are designed to profit off micro transactions, whether it be for fan following or for dedicated players who want to complete everything.

Listen! Sorry I was being impatient lately.

On the bright side, I would like Ash to appear.

I'm assuming they are going to have to add Greninja at some point (after all, it's already won two polls for the most popular Pokemon).

If they add in Greninja, its Sync Move would probably allow it to transform into Ash-Greninja. While the SM/USUM games allowed their main characters to use Ash-Greninja, it would be unfitting for Elio/Selene to have Greninja as their partner, especially when there are far more suitable Pokemon for them.

But if they use Ash, I wonder what design will they be going with. His XY outfit and design? Or his current outfit and design in Pokemon Journeys?

Well I want Brendan not to be Norman’s son and have be the child like in the Anime but the Anime isn't canon. And they had to pick between Brendan and May because there hasn't been an official canon protagonist since Gen I so no matter what gender they are, they can be either player in the core story arcs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom