• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

Pokemon Masters Promo Short

Parissong

the bells of joy are ringing
Reaction score
Absolutely loved how it felt like a SSBU for Pokémon. Literally crossover across Generations. Like, not gonna lie, it felt so unionizing and I am so excited to see the group dynamic!

Also, Triple Battles are relevant now. And Z-Moves, well, "Sync-Moves"

What's next? Synchro Pokémon? Hope they have a Tuner

Rath

Reaction score
I guess they made the artstyle and animation crap so that people wouldn't ask for a Pokemon Masters anime like they did with the BW2 animated trailer

Because hoo boy is it ugly

Parissong

the bells of joy are ringing
Reaction score
Too bad that we didn't see Red and Blue overlay, for an Xyz summon of course.~
Nah, XYZ Summon is in the old days. Should've gone for a hot Link Summon with 2 Steel-Types to summon the legendary Pokécode Talker XD

P_S_B

Shiny hunter
Reaction score
They miscolored the Lass's skirt in one shot. The close-up of Erika handing out her badge shows the Lass's arms holding Whimsicott, but what should be her skirt is colored as if it were part of Erika's kimono.

Not really a massive flaw and it doesn't undermine how nice the rest of it looks, but it's worth mentioning in the eventual Bulbapedia article.

SammyW27

Surrounded by fuqqin' idiots
Reaction score
I love how the protagonists never spoke. We love consistency. :p
And Cynthia was the only Champion with dialog when she already has more screentime than the rest put together...

Protagonists looks like Dawn and Sun.

I guess they made the artstyle and animation crap so that people wouldn't ask for a Pokemon Masters anime like they did with the BW2 animated trailer

Because hoo boy is it ugly
We must be seeing different things. I've seen better, but it's still really good animation.
Certainly better than how SM makes the characters into colorful blobs part of the time...

Rath

Reaction score
And Cynthia was the only Champion with dialog when she already has more screentime than the rest put together...

We must be seeing different things. I've seen better, but it's still really good animation.
Certainly better than how SM makes the characters into colorful blobs part of the time...

The art's ugly mainly because of the excessive shading
The animation isn't the worst, but still pretty bad

Nicolas721

Reaction score
It makes me very happy to see animated trailers make a return. They should have taken notes from the B2W2 short about good pacing and increasing the stakes little by little until the end though. But it does sell the idea that game characters can be good friends and enemies too. I loved the Lusamine shot.

Neo Blaze

Majestic
Reaction score
Interesting as a what if-fanservice short but really nothing more than that. In the end it's just a loose collection of meaningless scenes (since there's no actual anime of it) made specifically to sell a product. I know that's what people say about the actual anime too (I won't deny that's true to a degree), but it's still an actual show and its own thing.

A cool idea would be if the game has cutscenes like this, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have a really hard time imagining the actual anime will do anything based on the game. At best some surprise cameo(s) in Galar to promote the game (since Pokémon Ranger got some of that in the past) but even that seems unlikely to me. Even more so because SwSh is expected to start late 2019 and this game is released somewhere this summer.

SammyW27

Surrounded by fuqqin' idiots
Reaction score
At best some surprise cameo(s) in Galar to promote the game (since Pokémon Ranger got some of that in the past) but even that seems unlikely to me. Even more so because SwSh is expected to start late 2019 and this game is released somewhere this summer.
I don't know...some unfamiliar characters appeared who may be in SwSh for all we know :unsure:

They miscolored the Lass's skirt in one shot. The close-up of Erika handing out her badge shows the Lass's arms holding Whimsicott, but what should be her skirt is colored as if it were part of Erika's kimono.

Not really a massive flaw and it doesn't undermine how nice the rest of it looks, but it's worth mentioning in the eventual Bulbapedia article.
And speaking of which (to help people keep track who's who and what's what) :
Pokémon Masters Trailer - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

This short had like a thousand character cameos and still no sign of Zinnia...
To add insult to injury, a Lass and a Beauty appeared. They really couldn't have grouped Erika with some better characters? :confused_emoji: