• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Pokémon Masters VA complaint

PokéSean

Aka: LPCDDude, Cardcaptor Sean, TheLegoCat, etc.
Reaction score
Why have Billy Kametz voice a new Sygna Suit Blue and FRLG Blue when they could have Carter Cathcart, Lucien Dodge, or Erik Kramer do it. TPCi should give Billy Kametz a break on voicing Masters Blue and hung to just have him voice Ren in the Anime. Same with any other actors/actresses like Xanthe Huynth and Erica Mendez. If they have a new Kris planning, surely they can have tons of other actresses like Stephanie Sheh.

Last edited:
Both TPC and TPCi are apparently really insistent on each character having a different voice actor in every adaptation for whatever reason, even if some of the VAs themselves are shared.

However, it doesn't seem to be quite as strict on the Japanese side as it is in English. Rosa's Japanese VA from the B2W2 trailer reprised her role in Masters EX, and Leon, Raihan and Piers' VAs from Twilight Wings also returned to their roles. But otherwise it still seems to be a general rule.

And Lt. Surge’s Anime actor reprises his role Pokémon Masters EX. Ben Deskin, actor of Lance in Generations, doesn’t reprise Lance in Masters. At least they could’ve had a different actor for Sygna and Champion Blue instead of Billy Kametz. Same goes with Hilda, Erika, Marnie, Bugsy, and Skyla. If Cherami Leigh is Kris’s actress, surely they can add Chloe into the game. Either that or they have Stephanie Sheh voice the special Kris. But I doubt they are going to waste their money hiring Sheh because Leigh is already the voice of Kris. They probably think when hearing the cast’s voices, TPCi probably thinks that these people are those voices for Masters. They probably heard people like Leigh doing voices like Sailor Venus and/or Lucy Heartfilia or even Iris in Generations and think ”That’s voice defines Kris” or when hearing Atsuko Kagari, Ryuko Matoi, Sailor Uranus, or Retsuko, they think “That’s Hilda and Gardenia.” When hearing Ui Hisharwa and PollaPolla, TPCi thinks “That voice is Erika’s.” In this video, it was explained that Bob the Builder’s pilot actor was kept because the people said that that’s his voice.

And Lt. Surge’s Anime actor reprises his role Pokémon Masters EX.
Not true.
At least they could’ve had a different actor for Sygna and Champion Blue instead of Billy Kametz. Same goes with Hilda, Erika, Marnie, Bugsy, and Skyla
My point is TPC and TPCi treat the casting of the Masters EX completely separately from the main TV show.
If Cherami Leigh is Kris’s actress, surely they can add Chloe into the game.
That isn't how it works. Also, Chloe's Japanese VA isn't in the game.

Not true.

What I mean is Surge's Japanese VA.

But I hope Sarah Natchonney does a voice. Why don't they plans for her? Brittany Cox isn't going to voice Sonia probably. I prefer that Leigh, Huynth, Mendez, Vee, and Kametz (and whoever provides voices in the main Anime's English dub) only voice characters in the Anime.

Last edited:
What I mean is Surge's Japanese VA.
Nope. He's voiced by Taketora in Masters, not Fumihiko Tachiki.
But I hope Sarah Natchonney does a voice. Why don't they plans for her?
Because she lives in New York and the dub was almost entirely recorded in Los Angeles (aside from the Team Rocket trio out of necessity).
I prefer that Leigh, Blythe, Mendez, Vee, and Kametz (and whoever provides voices in the main Anime's English dub) only voice characters in the Anime.
That doesn't mean TPCi cares. And the Japanese side certainly doesn't care; there's even more overlap in those casts.

But Mendez is in the New York Union just like Natchonney but she then she is also is part of the Los Angels Union. The voice acting unions include New York (with Natchonney, Jason Griffith, Mike Pollock, Alyson Leigh Rosenfield), Toronto (with Rob Tinkler, Scott McCord, Corey Doran, Stacey DePass, Bryn McAuley), Vancouver (with Brian Drummond, Sam Vincent, Tabitha St. German, Ian James Corlett), and Los Angeles (with Stephanie Sheh, Cherami Leigh, Tom Kenny, Frank Welker, Jeff Bennett, Tara Strong). I just wonder why to keep the actors/actresses the characters have yet voiced.

But Mendez is in the New York Union just like Natchonney but she then she is also is part of the Los Angels Union. The voice acting unions include New York (with Natchonney, Jason Griffith, Mike Pollock, Alyson Leigh Rosenfield), Toronto (with Rob Tinkler, Scott McCord, Corey Doran, Stacey DePass, Bryn McAuley), Vancouver (with Brian Drummond, Sam Vincent, Tabitha St. German, Ian James Corlett), and Los Angeles (with Stephanie Sheh, Cherami Leigh, Tom Kenny, Frank Welker, Jeff Bennett, Tara Strong)
But Mendez doesn't live in New York like Natochenny does which was my point.
I just wonder why to keep the actors/actresses the characters have yet voiced.
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.

But Mendez doesn't live in New York like Natochenny does which was my point.
How does this work, some actors/actresses may not even live in the LA area.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.

I prefer Billy Kametz not voice Champion Blue and Sygna Blue and Erica Mendez not voice Special Costume Hilda. If there is going to be a Special Kris, I prefer her not to by Cherami Leigh or have a Special Lisia not be Brittany Cox. The former is just fine being Chloe in the Anime and latter is in the same boat of voicing Sonia in the Anime too.

How does this work, some actors/actresses may not even live in the LA area.
With the exception of the Team Rocket trio (which they made a special exception for), all of the voice actors for the English dub of Pokémon Masters EX live in the LA area (or at least within driving distance).
I prefer Billy Kametz not voice Champion Blue and Sygna Blue and Erica Mendez not voice Special Costume Hilda. If there is going to be a Special Kris, I prefer her not to by Cherami Leigh or have a Special Lisia not be Brittany Cox. The former is just fine being Chloe in the Anime and latter is in the same boat of voicing Sonia in the Anime too.
I don't know what to tell you in that case. They're not going to replace VAs they already cast for this game just because they also happen to be in Journeys (which is a completely different adaptation of the games).

I don't know what to tell you in that case. They're not going to replace VAs they already cast for this game just because they also happen to be in Journeys (which is a completely different adaptation of the games).

What I mean is like new special Sync Pairs. They can’t replace the first variants but the second variants (like SS or Champion Blue, DeNA and TPCi should’ve thought into who to voice those variants. Why not a have had those 2 Blues be Johnny Young Bosch?). But of course that won't happen because TPCi already has those actor/actresses to provide the voices. TPCi and DeNA are working on hiring their actors/actresses for money and make sure they’re strict with their English dub actors to sound different from any other incarnations in the Pokémon franchise. They plan on saving new actors/actresses to hire them to provide many different voices. They can't hire Stephanie Sheh to do a special Kris or Lisia because their roles are taken by the two actresses I mentioned above and they prefer to hire Sheh to do a character haven't appeared yet. Or they don’t release these new sync pairs and some people want them. I wonder if anyone else aside from, @PaperSplash has anything to offer. I don’t even know why they come up with Champion or Sygna Blue or Special Costume Hilda and others that are voiced by these actors/actresses. Also, why does Journeys combine actors/actresses from New York with the big voices Anime English dubs (like Studiopolis or Bang Zoom) in Los Angeles?

Last edited:
Both TPC and TPCi are apparently really insistent on each character having a different voice actor in every adaptation for whatever reason, even if some of the VAs themselves are shared.

However, it doesn't seem to be quite as strict on the Japanese side as it is in English. Rosa's Japanese VA from the B2W2 trailer reprised her role in Masters EX, and Leon, Raihan and Piers' VAs from Twilight Wings also returned to their roles. But otherwise it still seems to be a general rule.
Yeah, as far as I know, the only Twilight Wings VA that wasn't reprised is Marnie's.

And quite frankly, Masters Leon's Japanese VA is miles better than the anime one. I find the anime one to be a very painful miscasting.

There is going to be Sonia. She’s probably not going to be Brittany Cox. I don’t watch Journeys as much so I don’t know what she sounds like in that incarnation. But this is what she’ll sound like in Pokémon Masters EX.

I don’t even know what files TPCi has for other characters. The crew should think of hiring more big Japanese Media English dub people of LA like Cindy Robinson, Stephanie Sheh, Robbie Daymond, or Johnny Young Bosch. At least, would you think of Kris being Sheh instead of Leigh. Bosch could’ve been SS or Champion Blue. But they probably won’t do that and could have Sheh or Sandy Fox be Mirah. I sense of either Milo and Aaron be Cam Clarke.

I don’t even know what files TPCi has for other characters. The crew should think of hiring more big Japanese Media English dub people of LA like Cindy Robinson, Stephanie Sheh, Robbie Daymond, or Johnny Young Bosch. At least, would you think of Kris being Sheh instead of Leigh. Bosch could’ve been SS or Champion Blue. But they probably won’t do that and could have Sheh or Sandy Fox be Mirah. I sense of either Milo and Aaron be Cam Clarke.
Okay, so this particular factor is out of TPCi's control. Dubbing studios like Bang Zoom (which TPCi has commissioned for Masters EX and several other of their projects) usually prefer to stick with their own talent pools, particularly with non-union productions. You can see an approximate list of all the voice actors in Bang Zoom's talent pool here:

https://dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Bang_Zoom!_Entertainment

As you can see, while Bang Zoom has worked with Stephanie Sheh, Robbie Daymond and Johnny Yong Bosch before, currently they're only being contracted for union dub productions and reprisals of previous roles. Cindy Robinson, however, is regularly used by them at the moment, so it's definitely possible for her to show up at some point.

Also, (and this goes for Japan too) the voice acting industry as a whole is always evolving. People come and go, or shift focus; it happens. The overall Los Angeles talent pool has changed drastically over the last decade in particular. Remember when Troy Baker and Laura Bailey were in every dub? Now they tend to prioritize larger-scale pre-lay jobs. Again, with the exception being reprisals of previous roles, but especially in non-union productions, recasts can and do happen.

Lastly, I want to inform you that TPCi isn't directly involved in casting. Mami Okada is, as with most Bang Zoom productions. They seem to have an understood agreement not to give any character the same voice actor as previous incarnations (regardless of availability) but not to avoid using those actors entirely. It would be pretty hard for that to be fulfilled anyway, as Bang Zoom and Iyuno-SDI (the studio that dubs Journeys) have a fair amount of overlap in their talent pools.

Okay, so this particular factor is out of TPCi's control. Dubbing studios like Bang Zoom (which TPCi has commissioned for Masters EX and several other of their projects) usually prefer to stick with their own talent pools, particularly with non-union productions. You can see an approximate list of all the voice actors in Bang Zoom's talent pool here:

https://dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Bang_Zoom!_Entertainment

As you can see, while Bang Zoom has worked with Stephanie Sheh, Robbie Daymond and Johnny Yong Bosch before, currently they're only being contracted for union dub productions and reprisals of previous roles. Cindy Robinson, however, is regularly used by them at the moment, so it's definitely possible for her to show up at some point.

Also, (and this goes for Japan too) the voice acting industry as a whole is always evolving. People come and go, or shift focus; it happens. The overall Los Angeles talent pool has changed drastically over the last decade in particular. Remember when Troy Baker and Laura Bailey were in every dub? Now they tend to prioritize larger-scale pre-lay jobs. Again, with the exception being reprisals of previous roles, but especially in non-union productions, recasts can and do happen.

Lastly, I want to inform you that TPCi isn't directly involved in casting. Mami Okada is, as with most Bang Zoom productions. They seem to have an understood agreement not to give any character the same voice actor as previous incarnations (regardless of availability) but not to avoid using those actors entirely. It would be pretty hard for that to be fulfilled anyway, as Bang Zoom and Iyuno-SDI (the studio that dubs Journeys) have a fair amount of overlap in their talent pools.

This is why we also don’t hear Tom Kenny or Tara Strong voice characters or why no actor/actress alive during production of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles adaptation reprised their roles in the special Turtles Forever. The original cast had voices of characters in Los Angeles that were union where as the production company, 4Kids, which had non-union people. They say Cristina Vee is union despite being Bugsy, Phoebe, and Marnie. Pkn Masters is LA non-union and you say it’s common for recasts to happen. Shouldn’t they have already recast roles for the special Sync Pairs? What about Lucien Dodge or Sandy Fox? Lucien Dodge will be a Danza by voicing Lucian. Then again, he is only used for union and reprisals. Same with Sandy Fox. But they do use Union or Reprisal actors/actresses. Not only do they use Vee but they use Cassandra Lee Morris (if she really is the actress is Iris in Masters). So I don't get why they can't use Bosch or Sheh. They are as recognizable VAs. Specifically since acting since the 90s. Bosch has also been known to portray Adam Park (second Black Mighty Morphin Power Ranger/Green Zeo Power Ranger/first Green Turbo Power Ranger) and Sheh has sweet voice doing Lotte Jannson and Jasminka Anteneko in Little Witch Academia, Mona and Kat in WarioWare, Hinata Hyuga in Naruto, and the titular character/Usagi Tsukino of the VIZ dub of Sailor Moon. She could also at reunite the main Witch trio of LWA because Erica Mendez (Atsuko Kagari) voices Hilda and Gardenia and Rachelle Heger (Sucy Manbavaran) is Hapu and Tina. Why hasn’t there been a recast for Blue, Erika, or Hilda.

May also add that Bang Zoom! is also responsible for dubbing in North America, K-On! Of course, there is Cassandra Lee Morris (Ritsu Tainaka), Cristina Vee (Mio Akiyama), Xanthe Huynth (Ui Hisharwa), and Christine Marie Cabanos (Azusa Nakano) both of all voice Iris (Morris), Marnie, Bugsy, Phoebe (Vee), Erika (Huynth), and Arecola (Cabanos). I see they might not have the possibility of having Shelby Lindley (Tsumugi Kotobuki) as she doesn’t work for the studio as of 2016. But they do have union actors/actresses in Masters. In the Anime industry, Sheh is recognized out there.

Can’t they also hire Cyrus’s Evolutions voice for SS Cyrus. Why do the dubbing studios even have a rule to not do role reprises in English, @PaperSplash? Same with SS Serena. Now Pokémon Evolutions is dubbed by Bang Zoom! too and I’m sure that they should used Cyrus’s PE V.A. Why Sonia, Cox? It’s not a good way to pass the torch. If they ever record Kris’s new Sync Pair reaction lines, can’t they hire a different actress aside from Leigh? They had Stephanie Southerland voice Summer Gloria instead of Dela Saba. Not to mention that Hilda and Gardenia should sound alike. Why use the Nico, Akko, Arle, and Retsuko voice?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom