• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Pokémon Masters General Discussion Thread

Me in Pokémon Masters:

dBvXAWr.jpg

Handy advice: Don't ever think that corporations are or wish to be your friend.

That aside, this looks like a mildly entertaining time-waster.

I just want to change the green parts of the outfit to red. I never really liked green outfits...

For my part, I'm pretty tired of all the reds and blues in Pokémon protagonist outfits (and, like... countless other instances in media). I'm pleasantly surprised that they've opted to use green for once, although obviously it would be ideal to have customization. Choice is always good.

Handy advice: Don't ever think that corporations are or wish to be your friend.
It's not a matter of friendship. It's more like "scratch my back, and I will scratch your back in return".

They want cash. I want a good smartphone game (for a change). We need to satisfy each other.

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited for this game. It looks and sounds pretty awesome. Being able to battle against different trainers throughout the series sounds fun. The graphics so far look pretty good for a mobile game, although the concept sounds so neat that I kind of wish it was on the Switch instead, and voice acting was a nice surprise. Plus, I'd be extremely happy if N appears in this game. I've wanted to see N appear for ages and if he could show up somehow here, that would be awesome.

I don't know how the battles will work or how we'll catch Pokemon, but it definitely has potential. Hopefully there won't be a lot of pay to win nonsense. I don't use a lot of apps on my phone, but I already pay a bit for Pokemon Go and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links. That's one reason why I haven't downloaded other Pokemon mobile games yet, along with just being worried about space on my phone. Being able to battle against various trainers throughout the series sounds like a fun way to appeal to long time fans, while also introducing some of these characters to new fans. I hope that they'll be able to provide more information on it soon, although hopefully it won't be during next week's Pokemon Direct. As cool as this game sounds, I still want updates for Sword/Shield even more after having little to no information for months.

EDIT - also did Brock use a new Z-Move in that trailer? I don't remember Rock Solid Rockslide. Although, that is assuming it is actually a Z-Move.

I think it's possible that "Z-Moves" with the specific requirements from SM (Z-Crystals, Z-Rings, Z-hats, Z-collectible pins, Z-action figures, Z-phone cases, Z-underwear, etc.) don't exist in this game, but that there will be a more generalized "equivalent" without all the lore just because super-strong shonen burst attacks are all the rage

It's not a matter of friendship. It's more like "scratch my back, and I'll scratch your back in return"

They want cash. I want a good smartphone game (for a change). We need to satisfy each other.

It's not even really that, because that still assumes that the relationship is on some measure of even ground. That's still thinking of them in terms of a potential ally. But they're a monetary behemoth in charge of the highest-grossing media franchise in this solar system. You're one dude. They have all the power here. They'll get the money they're looking for from this regardless of whether you yourself pay into it. Maybe you like the game, maybe you don't - but unless a significant amount of people protest, they'll do just fine either way (and even if this were to flop, how much did they even put into it to begin with?)

Last edited:
It's not even really that, because that still assumes that the relationship is on some measure of even ground. That's still thinking of them in terms of a potential ally. But they're a monetary behemoth in charge of the highest-grossing media franchise in this solar system. You're one dude. They have all the power here. They'll get the money they're looking for from this regardless of whether you yourself pay into it.
You do have a point, but I think your argument is more suitable for a casual-oriented-app like Pokémon Go, for instance.

I think (hope) this game is different. Because the premise seems different. This seems more like a game that wants to draw in more longtime fans as well as the casual crowd.

I mean, broadly speaking, Pokémon Masters looks like a smartphone version of the PWT. And the PWT was definitely a feature oriented towards dedicated/veteran fans.

Casual fans don't really care who Diantha or Cynthia or Steven Stone are. They only care about Ash, Red, Misty, Brock and Professor Oak

Last edited:
I understand the concern behind microtransactions but considering all the Pokemon mobile games so far, none of them have been screaming microtransactions as a must. Pokemon Shuffle, Pokemon Quest, Magikarp Jump... You could pay if you wanted, but you could also enjoy them free without any penalty.

The mobile game market is flooded with games that penalize players for not paying for micro-transactions. Pokemon has never done that, and I don't think they'd be stepping in that direction knowing full well people don't like it. At the very least, I believe they won't penalize players for not paying.

I hope this games spices up the in-game and predictable teams for the characters. Red being portrayed with a Charizard again bores me to no end.

Finally, a game that recognizes that trainers from the Pokemon universe are popular and that spin-offs don't have to rely always on the Pokemon themselves. It's just a great idea all around.
Sadly, I'm massively disappointed that it's for mobile. I'd be willing to pay a full Switch price even if its costed more in the long run, this just screams danger. A Switch version could also have a nice story going on (as I doubt this game will have one), but whatever...

I imagine the gatcha feature will actually be where you pay to get a random trainer, not Pokemon.

Rosa's inclusion in the official promo artwork baffles me. Like, is she really the best Unova character that the PR team could come up with to represent Gen 5? Anyway, this seems like a fairly pointless mobile game. Why would anyone download this when they can already battle in practically every other Pokemon game that's available?

Rosa's inclusion in the official promo artwork baffles me. Like, is she really the best Unova character that the PR team could come up with to represent Gen 5?

Just look her up on stuff like Pixiv and you realize she's a pretty good choice.

That said, I would have picked N or Hilda myself.

Rosa's inclusion in the official promo artwork baffles me. Like, is she really the best Unova character that the PR team could come up with to represent Gen 5? Anyway, this seems like a fairly pointless mobile game. Why would anyone download this when they can already battle in practically every other Pokemon game that's available?
Because the last time you could battle a big ensemble was in B2W2, and it was limited to gym leaders and champions. Plus, battling alongside them is a different experience.

As for Rosa, isn't the bigger question why Alola isn't represented?

My theory is that they wanted to include a female PC, and she looks the most generic because of the Pokeball in her chest.

I want to add that I really like that they are using 3D models that apparently are very expressive instead of stills.

Rosa is the female protagonist of BW2, the only game to feature the Pokémon World Tournament, which this game was inspired by.

I never thought that Rosa's design was that bad at all. I like her long pigtails and I think she has a better outfit than Hilda does. Considering that this does give off a Pokemon World Tournament vibe, I'm not too surprised that they chose her to represent the fifth generation. I am surprised that they didn't include N instead though. I thought he was one of the more popular characters from that generation, but I still hope that he'll be featured in it at least.

While I'm willing to give the game a chance, one of my fears is how they'll approach the writing of each character and the possibility of them being possibly butchered.

Back
Top Bottom