• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Pokémon Masters General Discussion Thread

I wouldn't mind putting some money in the game depending on how it turns out. If it's fun to play and I'm not forced to pay money really fast in order to enjoy it, then I wouldn't be upset with paying for stuff every now and then. I just wouldn't want to be required to pay to play the game. That happened with Pokemon Shuffle and that was a big reason as to why I dropped it ages ago. Making it relatively easy to get in-game money, assuming that this game will have that, would be a nice bonus though.

This thread died a little too quickly. Anyway, it turns out that the game was leaked on May 18th:

The title of Pokemon Masters was officially unknown until it was revealed at the press conference. However, a Japanese message board correctly leaked the title on May 18.

Other information that the leak revealed was also proven correct in the gameplay trailer. This suggests information which hasn't been confirmed to be true yet, will likely be correct.

Here is the full list of translated details that were leaked:
  • There will be one Pokemon per trainer, called buddies - battles will be 3v3
  • While teaming with other trainers, you provide the battle instructions to each of the three Pokemon
  • Unlike traditional Pokemon games, the battle system is real time
  • There is an auto mode to use while battling
  • Pokemon trainers and Pokemon come as a set - therefore both will need to be changed when substituting during battle
  • Due to the above, it is not possible to possess the same trainer or Pokemon more than once
  • There are are only one type per Pokemon and one weakness per type
  • Trainers are confirmed to be a gacha element
  • No IVs

I'm kind of intrigued by real time battles (which would explain the meter) and only one weakness per species like in the TCG. Auto mode is obviously optional.

@Meta Boss

Last edited:
This thread deserved a bump.

Great news! Glad to know this is a unique Pokémon game.

I'm so hyped for this game, you all don't want to know.

Interesting to see how they will tackle same trainers with different Pokémon like a Red and Zard, and a Red and Pikachu unit for example.

I suspect that they will be treated as independent trainers who can appear together. Multiverse shenanigans, in other words.

Yeah, but like, having 20 Red units with all the same appearance and clothing but just with a different mon would be boring.

And I don't expect them to go fully beach units and such, instead trying to draw inspiration from the game somehow.

I've been laughing to myself about the thought of 12 identical Brocks hanging out in a room and how weird that would seem in-universe. With Pokemon, it's easy to imagine how there would be several copies of them, given that each one in-game is pretty much identical to another. But with the trainers, it feels weird. Maybe I'm not too much of a gacha person.

But I'm kind of looking forward to this game, only because I'm wishing for some interactions between characters we wouldn't see in the main series titles. Like cross-region gym leader interactions or something along those lines. Actually, literally any character interaction, even with the player, would be great.

But with my luck, my favorite trainers probably won't make it into the game until like a year later because they're all unpopular.

Either way, I'll follow news about this game for now...

One of the primary things I’m hoping for, alongside the appearances of my favorite PCs, is decent English voice acting. I know it’s minor, but hearing big name VAs playing main series characters would be fantastic in my opinion.

I'm wondering how they'll handle Mega Evolutions and Alternate Forms. The way they handle alternate forms in Fire Emblem Heroes is making them separate characters: For example, there's regular Robin, which is based on the standard playable Robin in Awakening. On the other hand, Robin possesed by Grima is completely separate character. Would make sense since this is gacha game and would be great to make profit off.

It's a mobile gacha """game""", so it's gonna be a greedy cashgrab that harasses you for money every so often and is impossible to actually play without paying for microtransactions.

It's a mobile gacha """game""", so it's gonna be a greedy cashgrab that harasses you for money every so often and is impossible to actually play without paying for microtransactions.

I'm inclined to agree, and the possibility of gacha is what makes me wary of this game. Otherwise, I love everything about it!

I've played gatcha mobile games before. Namely Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle and Dragon Ball Legends. Aside from one time with Dokkan Battle (I bought a gift card specifically for Super Mario Jump, but it didn't work on my device, so I used the money on Dokkan Battle instead), I haven't actually paid for anything else on them. Yet in spite of that, I was able to still manage with these games just fine and got rare character cards as freebies all the same. So no, I disagree with the notion that they're "impossible" to play without microtransactions. However some games have done it worse, I admit. The real issue is that these practices are created to prey on people who have no self-restraint, no patience, and have gambling addictions. So I am glad that countries are finally starting to crack down on it (but then they'll just find loopholes around it).

But anyway, that's why it's important to be conscious of your actions and behavior when playing these games, something which I try to do and that's what helped made these games enjoyable. As well because I'm just happy with the stuff I got for free.

Anyway, is it bad that I'm actually looking more forward to this than SwSh?

One of the primary things I’m hoping for, alongside the appearances of my favorite PCs, is decent English voice acting. I know it’s minor, but hearing big name VAs playing main series characters would be fantastic in my opinion.
For the talent pool it'll probably be the LA bunch, done at a studio such as Cup of Tea (who have pretty much become Ninty's go to studio) and non-union. If you don't count Smash Bros the NY actors haven't done anything Pokemon related gamewise since the Pokèpark titles for the Wii. It's pretty fun when the Pokemon franchise gives them a shot at bringing characters to life.

Last edited:
Pokemon mobile games have also been relatively generous with what you can do in them without paying for anything. From the ones I've played, like Pokemon Quest, Magikarp Jump, or Pokemon Picross (for the 3DS, but it still kind of applies), you can still enjoy the entirety of these games without spending anything on them. I did, at least. I'm hopeful that this game will be the same thing.

Also, if that leak is true, I hope that there will be some other aspect to the battle system, because 1 type and 1 weakness per Pokemon seems like it would simplify battles considerably. If there are no IVs either, and it really is 1 trainer/1 Pokemon, then getting 2 of the same unit would be pointless, right? So would it mean the pool of trainers is finite and once you get a Brock, you can't get another?

Last edited:
So apparently trainers also get moves of their own according to the newest trailer. I’ve been wanting trainers to have a more active role in Pokémon battles for quite awhile, so this is a treat. I just hope this isn’t limited to rebranding items as moves.

Back
Top Bottom