• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Pokémon Masters General Discussion Thread

Can you really ditch the protagonist? They literally refer to them as you.

They’ve shown more than one possible team that doesn’t feature the protagonist, so I don’t think there’s reason to believe we can’t.

Okay. Could it mean that the protagonist may be reduced to nothing more than a spectator? That would kind of defeat the purpose of their journey in-story.

Maybe they're just there for tutorial? Their journey might still continue, but I get the impression that they are just blank states for beginning players. The main feature of Masters after all, is all those other more developed characters with personality.

The player will still probably be the main character in the story, and the one controlled in the overworld (if there is one). They'll probably just have a role as a manager/organizer for all of the stronger trainers and will not need to participate in battle themselves after the first few levels.

If you couldn't actually switch them out, it would be a bit concerning. Having only 2 open slots on a team in a game where you could potentially have 100+ possible teammates would suck so much.

Okay. Could it mean that the protagonist may be reduced to nothing more than a spectator? That would kind of defeat the purpose of their journey in-story.

Doubt it. It would be so odd to introduce your character as the protag only to ditch them later. Especially for I guess the younger audience, this wouldn't make much sense and detaching it would only spark more confusion.

The player will still probably be the main character in the story, and the one controlled in the overworld (if there is one). They'll probably just have a role as a manager/organizer for all of the stronger trainers and will not need to participate in battle themselves after the first few levels.

Probably this. Other games like Soccer Spirits have you as the manager and all, so technically you aren't a playable character in the actual battlefield. That way, all 3 slots can still be used while you are a part of the action. Makes sense I guess, but let's see how Pokémon Masters introduces it. Team Captain? Squad Leader? Who knows?

Could be possible that for certain storylines the protagonist can't be taken out while in others, the story just treats him to be on the team as far as the storyline goes but you can just change it up in battle.

Pokémon lends itself a bit less than stuff like Fate Grand Order since there, you are indeed as you guys say some sort of manager/leader but that's more so the established lore there, where in Pokémon that usually isn't the case. (Unless they go with squadrons. Or you make your own evil organization. Almost the same.)

Just for the record, what I had in mind was a managerial role as outlined in Tood's post. But it is essentially spectating and pretty weird in-story. Of course, Pikachu fans can use it whenever.

Anyway, I'll use different characters until I get the trio I want, but I'm also interested in Sabrina, Morty, Agatha and Prof. Oak. Sadly not Karen unless she wears her original attire.

Last edited:
Pikachu is confirmed to be our Sync Partner Pokémon.

I would've preferred to be able to choose Charizard, Gyarados, Metagross or Salamence, instead. They are my 4 favourite Pokémon.

But I also like Pikachu a lot, so cool.
I wanted to use a Raichu... so near to my ideal choice, but so far away...

Maybe, but we know that there are going to be new characters here. Anime Sawyer stroke me as a more self-centered type.

Yeah. I'd hold off on assuming that she's referring to the anime character until we see the Japanese version of the video.

It’s not the anime characters. So far all characters in Masters are based on the game, I don’t expect anime versions anytime soon or ever. At most you’ll find anime clothes or costume swaps for characters like Misty or Brock but it would still be the game versions

On another note, this appears to be our first direct preview of Pokemon Masters' English dub (Aside from the animated trailer, we could only hear snippets of in-game audio during the livestream, and even then a good chunk of it was drowned out). Iris definitely doesn't sound like her anime VA so it's either Cherami or someone else.

Last edited:
Iris being so heavily promoted in this besides Rosa is pretty funny. I never would have thought they’d use her as the selling point even the game version

Hi Scott. Long time no see.

B2W2 Iris is pretty popular in Japan, so if anything the question is why they chose her younger self.

Hi Scott. Long time no see.

B2W2 Iris is pretty popular in Japan, so if anything the question is why they chose her younger self.

I think this is Iris from the sequel games. She wore her BW outfit in BW2 while out in public and the website explicitly mentions her status as Champion.

Good point, and the site does reference B2W2 and her being a Champion. I just think it makes little sense for her to be collecting badges and being rather... childish.

The website has also been updated. Here’s a quick rundown of some major points:
  • New characters have been introduced: Lear (Hunter J lookalike), Sawyer (Pucci lookalike), Rachel (Purple hair), Professor Bellis, and Paulo (Blonde with Rockruff from trailer).
  • The Centra City Pokemon Center is the hub for the main character and recruited Sync Pairs.
  • New Sync Moves can supposedly be learned through evolution (e.g. Late Fee Bubble Beam for Empoleon).
  • Teams can be altered. In addition to a specified typing, each Sync pair has a specified role.
New Sync Pairs have been confirmed through both the trailer and website update:
  • Whitney and Miltank
  • Skyla and Swanna
  • Kris and Totodile
  • Marley and Arcanine
  • Pryce and Seel
  • Hapu and Mudsdale
  • Phoebe and Dusknoir
  • Agatha and Gengar
  • Sophocles and Togedemaru
  • Hilda and Tepig
  • Siebold and Clawitzer
Update: Found Hilda and Siebold on the System page of the official website.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom