• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Monotypes

Moss

Reaction score
Why Don't people do mono types more often it makes the game a lot more challenging and fun instead of having to worry about covering your types on your team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire. Though the problem is in all games, fire pokemon take forever to get.
Maybe I should try a monotype run one day. Problem is though that I like to play through the game normally and I get attached to my Pokemon and no way to keep them if I restart the game.

Judging from what has been released so far, Fire would also be my choice. Talonflame, Fennekin's full evo & Pyroar look pretty decent to me with some extra coverage typings in there. Talon flame especially useful as it is immune to Ground.

Looking to start one in Black 2. Torn between Bug, Fighting, Ground & Steel, any advice?

Teams at 1st thought would look something like
Bug - Heracross, Scolipede, Volcarona, Crustle, Galvantula & Leavanny
Fighting - Heracross, Lucario, Emboar, Scrafty, Conkeldurr & Toxicroak
Ground - Krookodile, Excadrill, Golurk, Seismitoad, Flygon & Gliscor
Steel - Lucario, Excadrill, Magnezone, Aggron, Skarmory & Ferrothorn

I did monotype runs in every Pokémon game I owned, except for Pokémon Blue. I obviously plan to do the same in XY, but I can't say yet which type I will be using first. Probably Fairy-type, for the novelty and because I like Spritzee, Flabébé and Gardevoir. Psychic would be a second choice, since Braixen is likely evolving into a Psychic Pokémon and there is also Gardevoir, plus Mamalar which I really appreciate the design.

Rather discussion of XY teams remain here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f693/your-pokemon-team-154188/ in the XY section. People who are avoiding the XY section due to wanting to remain in the dark about stuff don't need to read about it here either. Feel free to discuss monotype teams from previous generations all you want, though.

One area where dual-types obviously excel over single-types is they get dual STAB. (Who doesn't want their Garchomp getting an additional +50% power out of Earthquake?)

Additionally, some type combinations are defensively beneficial compared to the original types -- Water/Ground and Bug/Steel each only have one elemental weakness (Grass and Fire, both 4x). Dark/Ghost didn't have any weaknesses at all (without Scrappy or Foresight) through G5. Grass and Rock may have 5 weaknesses apiece, but Grass/Rock only has four.

I did a monotype run once! In HeartGold. It was a Water Monotype Run. Feraligatr, Kingdra, Dewgong, Quagsire, Lanturn, and Poliwrath. I plan on doing a Psychic Monotype run in Ruby soon, once I get all my nuzlockes finished up.

I often thought about monotypes, but i cant help myself looking at my team from a competitive point of view. My teams always need to make sense and every member has it's purpose. Haha

I've had monotype teams of the Water, Steel, Psychic, Fire, Fighting and Dragon before for the Elite Champ Medals in Black version 2. I can't remember all of those monotype teams right now but here is an example of one of my monotype teams which is Psychic typed: Slowking, Exeggutor, Victini, Deoxys, Jirachi and Gallade.

I've tried some mono-type teams for the medals in B2W2

Psychic - Gallade, Gardevoir, Beheeyem, Reuniclus, Gothitelle, and Musharna
Bug - Volcarona, Galvantula, Leavanny, Scolipede, Crustle, and Vespiquen
Fire - Ninetales (drought), Volcarona, Arcanine, Rapidash, Flareon, and Emboar

For fun, in white I did a bug monotype run, simply due to the sheer amount of bug types that were available. I stopped playing halfway throughout, but it was fun while I played it.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom