• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Movies Discussion

Now for an unpopular opinion from me. I don't really like the third movie, as much as I can see how well made it is. I'm just not a fan of the "a child gains godlike powers without fully comprehending them" trope, so I personally find Molly to be annoying. And the battles, while special in being actual battles in a Pokémon movie, aren't really that exciting to me, since Molly is basically hacking to give herself the advantage, and the battle effects aren't exactly that flashy, either. So, I'm sorry, but I'm not just fan of the tropes this movie uses, and as such, it doesn't rank that high for me.
No need to apologize, it's all subjective. I think Molly is an absolutely fantastic and memorable character, and for me she definitely stands out among the villains in the Pokémon movies. Never had a problem with that trope nor do I think it's a detriment to Molly's character. But hey, it didn't work for you, and that's fine.

The "Chosen One" stuff was all invented by 4Kids, who probably wanted to elevate Ash's status as a shonen hero a lot in the movie. For me, personally, this was, for the longest time, the only Pokémon movie I could easily access, hence why I watched it so much that I grew bored with it, despite the large scope and epic scale. (Also, why did they have to make all those wild Pokémon gather there, other than for dramatic effect? They served zero purpose for the plot.)

Yes, the chosen one thing was a dubism. The original movie was about coexistence and people working together to achieve balance, which is why I like it. The dub ran away with the idea of "one" being able to make a big difference, which, if you squint it at it, kinda makes sense if you apply that to every character on the cast and not just Ash. Sadly the theming was communicated in a wonky way that placed Ash on more of a pedestal than he needed to be.

I could write an essay on Western storytelling glorifying the individual pretty much since the oldest fairy tales. Not saying it's the reason for the chosen one thing the dub went with, but this is what Western audiences are accustomed to and maybe 4Kids thought it'd be an easier sell if they made it seem like any kid could be a hero like Ash. I'm just throwing out ideas though.

As for the scene you're referencing, I believe the Pokemon gathering was meant to be symbolic rather than super plot relevant. They gathered because they wanted to do their part to help just as the humans were doing their bit to help, so it was consistent with what the movie was going for.

Now for an unpopular opinion from me. I don't really like the third movie, as much as I can see how well made it is. I'm just not a fan of the "a child gains godlike powers without fully comprehending them" trope, so I personally find Molly to be annoying. And the battles, while special in being actual battles in a Pokémon movie, aren't really that exciting to me, since Molly is basically hacking to give herself the advantage, and the battle effects aren't exactly that flashy, either. So, I'm sorry, but I'm not just fan of the tropes this movie uses, and as such, it doesn't rank that high for me.
tumblr_pfvpdtdaZB1vw1ceco1_1280.jpeg

You might want to take that back.

So I have some questions regardomg the Victini movies since I never seen them before. Are they're any big differences beyond rather Reshiram or Zekrom is the big legendary of the movies plots and if not what was the purpose of making version exclusives for a Pokemon movie? I just want to know in advance if I do decide to watch it or them or whatever.

So I have some questions regardomg the Victini movies since I never seen them before. Are they're any big differences beyond rather Reshiram or Zekrom is the big legendary of the movies plots and if not what was the purpose of making version exclusives for a Pokemon movie? I just want to know in advance if I do decide to watch it or them or whatever.

It's mostly small minor differences like the beginning of the movie, Ash picking a different legendary to battle with, the music being different and a few other things.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom