• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon movies to be available via digital distribution, new movie-based iBooks to be ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Pokémon movies to be available via digital distribution, new movie-based iBooks to be ...

Starting January 19, 12 Pokémon movies will be available for digital download on iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon. Additionally, the iBooks A Pokémon Super Story! Hoopa and the Clash of Ages and A Pokémon Super Story! Pokémon: The First Movie! will be available on iTunes early this year.

Continue reading...

Yeah, I thought it was weird that 4Ever was included. Odd that they would only get one of the Miramax films though.

Also odd that it isn't remastered either.

I might look into this. Remastering the older movies sounds interesting. (even if it doesn't fix their problems. Movie 1 will still suck no matter how pretty they make it... x_x )

Also odd that it isn't remastered either.
Just because it's not listed as being remastered doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't. I would like to see it in better quality than the version that current prints are taken from.

It sucks we can't get Heroes, Jirachi Wishmaker, or Destiny Deoxys on iTunes, but I am thrilled to see the others at least

I'm really glad that most of the Pokemon movies are finally getting proper digital distributions through outlets such as iTunes, Amazon Prime, and Google Play (although I'm surprised that it took this long). Hopefully, the same implementation can be done for the Pokemon anime television series' episodes as well as Pokemon Chronicles. It's nice that the first 3 Pokemon movies are getting remasters, although I hope the rest of the movies can receive similar treatment (high-definition and 16:9 ratio, or something like that? I get confused with so many variations of releases.. -.-). I hope that all of them are including their respective Pikachu shorts (if applicable)..?

I was about to complain about the omission of certain Pokemon movies (at first, it looked like every single "movie that is Hoenn-Pokemon-centric" and "movies with Ash and company in their Hoenn outfits" was omitted), but it looks like Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Pokemon Ranger And The Temple of the Sea, and Diancie and the Coccoon of Destruction are already digitally available (at least on iTunes at the moment). ^_^ Good job, The Pokemon Company International and pertinent distributors; thanks!

I hope that the "covers" use the original home-media cover artwork for all of the movies.. As an example, the featured artwork that just uses Mewtwo's Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen artwork by Ken Sugimori with a generic "flurry purple" background just seems uninspired. :sick: I hope that the artwork isn't tied up in "rights issues" as well, because the original "Mewtwo vs. Mew" cover artwork for Pokemon the First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back had a lot more personality and nicer aesthetics to it..

It sucks we can't get Heroes, Jirachi Wishmaker, or Destiny Deoxys on iTunes, but I am thrilled to see the others at least

Does anyone know the reason for the lack of these 3 movies? Does the omission stem from Miramax's ownership of these 3 movies' distribution rights? If so, that is such a shame; it kind of makes "the 20th anniversary of Pokemon" celebration seem incomplete.. :( Ugh; I hate it when a media franchise's movies' licensing and/or distribution rights are splintered across multiple companies.. :mad:
On a side note, if Pokemon The Movie 5 Heroes: Guardians of the Water Capital gets a remastered release in the (near) future; I really hope that the "glaring blue tint" issue is removed..I don't really see a reason for its use.. Also, I hope that the "storybook segment" is included, even if it's just the Japanese version..although since it wasn't dubbed in English, my hopes are kind of low.. >.<

Additionally, speaking of Pokemon movies, does anyone know if the purported "Pikachu & Pichu" semi-ban applies to the English release of that Pikachu short (which accompanied Pokemon The Movie 3: Spell of the Unown) as well?

Last edited:
I'm wondering with the remastering of old movies if we can count on the same for most OS episodes being remastered similar to Pokemon I choose you on Pokemon Sunday.

I hope that the "covers" use the original home-media cover artwork for all of the movies.. As an example, the featured artwork that just uses Mewtwo's Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen artwork by Ken Sugimori with a generic "flurry purple" background just seems uninspired. :sick: I hope that the artwork isn't tied up in "rights issues" as well, because the original "Mewtwo vs. Mew" cover artwork for Pokemon the First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back had a lot more personality and nicer aesthetics to it..

Does anyone know the reason for the lack of these 3 movies? Does the omission stem from Miramax's ownership of these 3 movies' distribution rights? If so, that is such a shame; it kind of makes "the 20th anniversary of Pokemon" celebration seem incomplete.. :( Ugh; I hate it when a media franchise's movies' licensing and/or distribution rights are splintered across multiple companies.. :mad:

Additionally, speaking of Pokemon movies, does anyone know if the purported "Pikachu & Pichu" semi-ban applies to the English release of that Pikachu short (which accompanied Pokemon The Movie 3: Spell of the Unown) as well?
I'm fairly sure these are all rights issues. TPCi got the movie distribution rights back for Movies 1-3 (maybe 4 too, based on this), but didn't get the posters/covers (somehow). The Pikachu shorts' rights seem to have not come with the movies.

I'm wondering with the remastering of old movies if we can count on the same for most OS episodes being remastered similar to Pokemon I choose you on Pokemon Sunday.

I don't personally think the market's there for remastering a ton of episodes. Maybe they could do a sampler with 5-10 key ones, but beyond the movies I don't think a full remaster would be worth TPCI's time or money.

As long as all the movies are easily accessible in the physical formats now, I'll be fine. (Sinnoh through Kalos are fairly common in video stores, and Kanto's getting re-released, so only #4 and Battle Frontier Kanto really need to be hunted down. Oh, and the Disney-owned movies.)

Disney sold Miramax over five years ago.
If we get (at least) a widescreen Lucario DVD later in the year along with the 1-3 BD and separate DVDs, then I'll be completely satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom