• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Musicals... Like 'em or Hate 'em?

Like it or hate it?

• Total voters
I think the best part of them is that you don't have to think. In my opinion, after I've been training a Pokemon methodically for a while, it's good to unwind with some time-wasting nonsense.
You could just put the game down and sit there doing nothing. It's essentially the same thing minus the waste on the DS's battery life.

It is good, but the only thing we do to the Pokemon is dressing it up and making it use props.
There isn't anything else. No dancing, no moving by the Trainer's commands or anything else.
I would like it to be better by using props in the first part of the Musical, dancing in the second part of the Musical, playing musical instruments in the third part of the Musical (of course! it is a musical!) and using moves for the judges for the fourth part of the Musical.

I've made sure to not spoil my enjoyment of the musical by making myself only play it one musical performance at a time. I tell myself that although it's nice for now, after a day of gathering pokedex pages, if I keep doing it over and over again, things will get real monotonous, real fast.

I think Nintendo didn't intend for the musicals to be a really big part of gameplay, because they obviously aren't, but a nice diversion from battling and training. I think if you approach the game from a casual standpoint you can enjoy it for a little. But as the saying goes, you can have too much of a good thing, as with anything in pokemon.

I think the best part of them is that you don't have to think. In my opinion, after I've been training a Pokemon methodically for a while, it's good to unwind with some time-wasting nonsense.

See, this may be just me, but I hate doing things that force me not to think. I'm always analyzing, etc. So I dislike the Musicals for that very reason -- it's mindless.

I don't think I'm ready to see a guy dress as Darkrai ice skating while dancing and singing. I don't know why I said ice skating.

See, this may be just me, but I hate doing things that force me not to think. I'm always analyzing, etc. So I dislike the Musicals for that very reason -- it's mindless.

I'm cool with that. It's an opinion, after all.
But in my own opinion, Musicals are a great diversion. I'd rank the side-challenges in games as follows:

4- Super Contests: My least favorite. Many of the problems with Contests in Gen III were carried over(such as battling Pokemon being awful at contests, and vice-versa). The variety of move effects in the appeal round got nerfed (in Gen III, moves like Explosion had effects comparable to their battle effects, and some moves served largely to inhibit foes and undermine their appeals). The three judges to appeal to hardly made a difference. When the theme for a particular contest was announced, you'd have to scramble to figure out which accessories fit before the time ran out. Accessories themselves were hard enough to come by; in Diamond and Pearl, the neatest ones cost a ridiculous number of berries at the flower shop. Platinum lowered the costs to something more reasonable, at least. HeartGold and SoulSilver had in my opinion the most fun way of obtaining accessories; too bad there was no way to transfer them over to a game where there were contests.

3- Original Contests: Less a minigame than an alternative form of battling. The appearance judging is infuriating; Pokeblock effects are unchangable, and there is a limit to how many you can use. This means that if your Pokemon has mastered the cool contests, it's hard to go back and shoot for tough and smart contests with the same Pokemon. This also applies to Poffins in Generation IV. The appeals round is much better, serving almost as an alternative form of battling. However, the issue here is that a Pokemon that's good at battling could be terrible at contests, and vice-versa. And it's not as if you're going to replace your favorite Pokemon's egg move, which you can't relearn, with something better just for the contests. There's very little reward for either form of contest: just a ribbon for bragging rights and a scarf for the first time you beat the Master Rank in any category.

2- Musicals: Goes to the opposite extreme from Super Contests. Requires very little investment, with fairly consistent rewards. Drawbacks include the fact that there is little user interaction (only the dress-up and up to two appeals), the fact that some Pokemon hardly stand a chance (having no arms to appeal with), and that there is no external reward (hardly even gives bragging rights, seeing as only one photo can be stored). Nonetheless the minimal reward is balanced by the even more minimal investment. It's easy to pick up and play around with.

1- Pokeathlon: Not only does every Pokemon have the chance to perform decently (even statistically weaker ones can get medals if you give them Aprijuice and pair them with better Pokemon), but you are actually ENCOURAGED to use different types of Pokemon for some of the trophies. Aprijuice wears off after a day, so it's easy to have one Pokemon shoot for more than one type of medal. It's also harder to ruin Aprijuice than it is for Poffins and Pokeblocks, Apricorns are easier to replenish than the rarer berries that make the best Poffins/Pokeblocks, and unlike the other two, you can easily make good Aprijuice without multiplayer. Plus, you could exchange athlete points for very useful items for the main game, making this the only side-challenge which pays off in your quest to "be the very best" and complete the Pokedex.

So as you see, I don't think Musicals are the best minigame ever. But I don't think they're the worst, either, and I wouldn't want Game Freak to have just repeated any one of the side-challenges across every game. Variety is good, and I even got some enjoyment from the Super Contests (my least favorite).

comic193.png

Nuff Said, happened to me

I seem to like not thinking all the time. I just love seeing my super cute pokemon dance. I also send out my buff Machamp and adorably scary Gengar bust some moves

To begin with I wasn't too sure about Pokemon Musical, and was disappointed that you don't get much control over the action, but it's really grown on me. After a long, hard training session, it's really nice just to pop into the Music Hall and chill out. The original Contests may have been much more advanced, but I find the Musicals more fun in that you don't have to think too much. Also, any Pokemon can participate regardless of the moves they know. It's annoying that Pokemon without hands can't hold certain items though. But above all - what could be better than seeing your own Pokemon up on the stage?

comic193.png

Nuff Said, happened to me
Ditto. Only it happened to be a Golett that drew me in. The very second Riser stepped onto the stage, I was hooked. A dancing Golett is too cute for words. And don't get me started on the utter adorableness of a dancing Golurk...
Also, the Stardom music track is awesome.
This, too. Stardom's my favorite track. It has a great beat and my Goletts really get their "groove on" with that one.

I liked the contests more. Musicals are really boring and I actually like to think about what I'm doing. P:

When Bianca tried to take me there, i was like "Ew! No! Don't take me to those stupid musicals!" based on what i know, they suck, they are pointless, and they are lame.

I don't like it, nor do I hate it. I think it's nice to have something to do besides battling Trainers and catching Pokémon; however, it's not something that I would enjoy doing.

I used my Reshiram and he was A FREAKIN BEAST!!!!!!! He didn't win but he looked amazing on stage with his top hat and microphone and Electric guitar!

I've tried a few. They aren't bad, but the lack of control is disappointing. Some pokemon look too darn cute to dismiss it, though.

Also, is there any way to win, or any prizes? I can't tell yet.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom