• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Musicals... Like 'em or Hate 'em?

Like it or hate it?

• Total voters
I've tried a few. They aren't bad, but the lack of control is disappointing. Some pokemon look too darn cute to dismiss it, though.

Also, is there any way to win, or any prizes? I can't tell yet.

I like doing musicals once in a while. Mostly with Pokémon that have an actual face and two arms in order to make full use out of te performance part.

I was going to do musicals over and over to get all the items from it and recieve another trainer card, but sadly I've read that you need to link up to another player to get one specific musical items...thanks a lot GF, another "trainer star" I won't get. =/

I've tried a few. They aren't bad, but the lack of control is disappointing. Some pokemon look too darn cute to dismiss it, though.

Also, is there any way to win, or any prizes? I can't tell yet.

In the musical photo, your Pokemon will be jumping in the air if you've "won" (that is, performed better than any of the others). And when the owner tells each participant comments from the audience, he addresses the "winner" last. Whether you've won or not, talk to people in the lobby after the musical. Some of them reward you with accessories (more people give you accessories if you performed better in the musical).

I used my Reshiram and he was A FREAKIN BEAST!!!!!!! He didn't win but he looked amazing on stage with his top hat and microphone and Electric guitar!

I did a Musical with my Zekrom once. I felt a bit sorry for him, a legendary dragon being forced to wear silly outfits! But then I suppose there's no reason why legendaries can't have a bit of fun sometimes...

What I think would make Musicals even better is if they boosted your Pokemon's happiness. It would make them more useful and worthwhile, and would be helpful for evolving Pokemon. I did some Musicals with my Riolu when I was trying to evolve him but obviously it probably didn't make any difference. But Riolu look amazing with a top hat and cane! Now he's evolved, Lucario is my main Musical Pokemon (and one of my main battlers).

Hate 'em. I want my Pokeathlon back! This game is pretty much pointless...there is basically no incentive other than that Trainer Card star.

I played about 30 rounds and that's it. Got all accessories possible and now there's nothing to do anymore and nothing to do with the new fancy accessories.

So the musicals are kinda okay, but they could've definitely work on it a lot more. You know, spice it up and make things more complicated and fun, lots of different features and maybe make it affect the performing Pokémon outside the musical - like happiness or something. Now the musicals are like... Dress up and tap the screen a couple of times while watching the same animations play over and over again. And there's no proper price even for beating the whole thing. Everything seems like someone in the Gamefreak threw it there on the last minute without planning that much.

Useless.

Just useless. Of all the 'diversions' in the Pokémon games, the Pokéathlon was the BEST in my opinion.

I used to think musicals were just "OK", but the Pokedex made me anxious to finish it so I could do musicals.

I think musicals are kinda cute in their own way but they still are pretty boring as player doesn't have much to do but just dress up the pokémon and then just watch how four ridicilously decorated pokémon are jumping and humming on the stage for couple of minutes, oh yeah~
I'd say they are ok. Pokéathlon is the best :D

Currently have not tried it yet but I am certainly willling to give it a try, just don't know when I will

Let's go over this for a moment, now shall we? The only reason why any sensible player would bother to compete in Pokemon Musicals in the first place is to receive the majority of the props necessary to receive a star on his/her Trainer Card. Even though they may appear to be slow at first, Pokemon Musicals are actually much more engaging once the game selects fully evolved pokemon to compete alongside you (and the AI becomes more intelligent).

The most important elements to a Pokemon Musical are, as followed:
1): Selecting the pokemon. Yes, the majority of the props that can be used must be held by a pokemon. To gain points (so to speak), you must use those props by flicking the indicator on the bottom screen. A pokemon that cannot hold the props will be denied the access of a wide variety of props that it can use in the musical. Always, and I mean always, select a pokemon that can hold on to props.
2): The timing to use those props. Remember, the purpose of your pokemon in the Musical is to show off. You need to use the props almost immediately once the spotlight hits on you. On the higher level, the AI will disturb your performance by having one or more of the other pokemon use their props in accordance. The AI will also most likely save one of their props and use it almost immediately before the curtain call, and that will give the pokemon big points. The use of props by each pokemon is essential impressing the audience, and this will decide whether or not members of that audience will give you new props to use at the end of each Musical you compete in. Each prop can only be used once during the musical, so the timing is even more crucial to the execution of your pokemon's performance.
3): Selecting which props are most appropriate for the play. Yes, similar to contests and pokemon moves, each musical and prop are sorted into four categories: Cool (Stardom and the Global Link exclusive "Charming Munna"), Cute (Forest Stroll), Elegant (A Sweet Soiree), and Quirky (Exciting Nimbasa). Although it is not necessary, selecting props that are in the same category as the musical you are competing in will increase the likelihood of getting a higher appeal score. You can check how the individual props are categorized on Bulbapedia.

Keep in mind that there are some Props that cannot be obtained through spectators in the Pokemon Musical. Some of the props, such as the Crown and Winner's Belt, can be obtained from the Pokemon Musical theater owner after winning in 3 and 30 musicals (don't have to be in a row), respectively. Four special props can be obtained once a day from an old man inside a house in western Opelucid City. The Tiara can be obtained after you compete in a musical with a friend either through infrared or on Wi-Fi. The Toy Cake can be obtained from the Theater owner on the player's birthday. The Musician Preston (on Route 5) gives you the Electric Guitar prop after you defeat them.

Competing in the Pokemon Musicals and receiving the props are necessities if you want all five stars to appear on the Trainer Card. They are, in my opinion, a lot more engaging than Pokemon Contests due to the sheer amount of focus and attention that is required in each musical. Even so, Pokemon Musicals tend to be limited in the number of performances (so far, there are only five in total, and only four of them are available in-game), and therefore, are not as unique as the Pokeathlon Competitions in HG/SS.

It makes a nice change from all the battling, since you press two buttons and then relax, whereas in battling you have to be alert most of the time. However, the lack of interactivity is really disappointing to be quite honest, so it doesn't really match up to the previous minigames of Contests and Pokéthlons at all.

As many people have said, the lack of interaction/control is really disappointing. I'm a huge fan of contests, so I was expecting the musical to be more interactive or be similar to the Super Contests' dance controls. I also miss Pokeblocks and Poffins. It gets a bit tedious having to have a large collection of accessories just to get a decent score appearance-wise. It's a real bummer than you can't have certain Pokemon hold certain items either. I understand you can't have a Seviper hold a parasol, but still I think there's some other Pokemon that may be able to hold something in their paws/wings/whatever.

Regardless, I still participate in one every once in awhile, but not as avidly as I do contests. =\ (Not a fan of the Pokeathlon lol)

They're fine. The background music is awesome and seeing Snivy with a monocle, top hat, and cane is awesome; but they lack the depth and cool rewards of the Pokeatholon. They ARE a huge improvement over the craptacular Pokemon Contests, though.

Never liked them, they are my least favourite minigame in the main series. Even Voltorb Flip and Super Contests were better.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom